My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 54 in blower on an x744 and i could definitely feel that some weight would benefit blowing. I priced my options through john deere, and it seems like the ballast box is the most affordable at 300 bucks. How much weight can these hold? I was thinkin maybe putting 2-3 sandbags in there. The suitcase weights get around 500 bucks with 4 weights so im leaning away from this. The other option is a 50 lb weight on each rear wheel. Can i add antifreeze into the tire as wel?? Im Unsure if just 100 lbs is enough? My blowing area is pretty flat, so tractions not a huge issue when it comes to hills. Also, can this weight stay on during mowing season or is this something i need to get off? Thanks again for all the help guys.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure where you’re getting $500 from for just four quick-tach weights. They’re $60/each and you can use six. You’ll just need the weight bracket which is $170 - and that’ll put you at $530 if you go with six weights. Still more expensive than the $300 box, but more palatable knowing that’s six weights (252#) and not just four (168#)!

You need the $120 Click-n-go bracket for weights or the ballast box, so that’s a moot point. You can, however, get a box for the Cat 1 hitch, but that is $340 on top of the $680 for the actual hitch if you don’t already have one on.

Not sure what the actually “capacity” is for the box, but I suppose you could fill it with whatever and then even hang weights around the sides and it’d probably stay together.

While you could keep weights on your tractor to mow, I would wouldn’t unless you needed to. The extra weight just uses fuel and more prone to causing rutting - the X700’s are already a lot heavier than a normal L/GT as it is.

Keeping the box on all the time could be handy if you need to pick anything up when mowing or to just keep tools or whatever with you.

·
Premium Member
9,573 Posts
Well said. The only thing I would add is that the 6 suitcase weights and click n go bracket only add about a foot to the length of your tractor. They come off easily in the spring too.

Yes you can fill your tires with rimguard or another product, but you won't be able to remove the weight in the spring unless you change tires. I run a pair of 50 lb wheel weights with the 6 suitcase weights on the back and I don't slip. I should take the wheel weights off in the spring but I don't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so u need the bracket for the box. I asked the john deere guy this and he said no, that it rides on the little hitch on the bottom and bolts to the frame. I had a feeling he was wrong.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I put this bracket on my tractor. It's from a seller on ebay. Holds six suitcase weights and half the price of the click n go system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Here is the link to the bracket. Looks like the price has gone up since I bought it a few years ago. I should get a commission for this. lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
One negative I see with that option is it’s ONLY a weight bracket. You’d have to remove it and install a Click N Go to use anything else. However, for the cost of just the JD weight bar - and if one doesn’t plan on using anything else back there - then it’s probably the way to go if you’re ok buying aftermarket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts