My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about how to best add some rear weight since I've put the Johnny Bucket on the front.

I have this piece of steel on hand that my Dad left me when I inherited his little farm.

Anybody want to take a guess as to what it is? It's about 15.5 x 15.5 inches by about 3 inches thick. I'd guess it's weighs around 120 lbs.

I've built a weight platform to hold it on the rear.

·
5,523 Posts
I see you pick good tractors and dogs.

I say around 150.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dave, how do you like the Dee stones? DO they do any better then the original goodyears or their nang kang counterparts? I'm going to need a set of tires if I get my other 1476 running. Those are available locally but I would like to hear from someone that they're worth the money before investing. There is a guy on e-bay who has the Nangs for $200 shipped.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I thought it was a track link from an older style cable loader.. like an Eric Buscaryus ( I think I spelled that wrong) Althought I think they all had flat track pads (or whatever they call them)

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, how do you like the Dee stones? DO they do any better then the original goodyears or their nang kang counterparts? I'm going to need a set of tires if I get my other 1476 running. Those are available locally but I would like to hear from someone that they're worth the money before investing. There is a guy on e-bay who has the Nangs for $200 shipped.
The rear ags are Carlilse Tru Power. I've been well pleased with them.

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told the hunk of steel was a "crusher jaw" that came out of a local rock/gravel crusher around 50 years ago. Dad had used it as a makeshift anvil for several years.

I had a couple of goals in building the rear weight platform - I didn't want the weight stress to be on the transaxle housing threads, and I wanted to use as much already available scrap steel I had on hand as possible. I did have to buy the 2 in. angle iron used for the main arms. Also, I don't weld so everything is bolted together.

I came up with this design that places all the stress on the tractor frame. Hopefully you can see what I did by the pics. I didn't use any drawings or sketches:

1/2 in. threaded rods transfer the upward force from the weight arms to the bottom of the tractor frame using short pieces of angle iron. I didn't want to drill holes in the frame, so I just clamped to the frame as seen in the pics.

I did use the transaxle threaded holes to mount the crusher jaw stabilizer bracket that mounts to the rear end using the two horizontally aligned 1/2 inch holes.

I also had this 50 lb weight block on hand to add to the weight platform.

So far this is holding up well. It certainly gives me a lot more traction and should help a lot when the bucket on the front is heavy.

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see you pick good tractors and dogs.

I say around 150.
Yea, that's Hank, my beagle/basset hounddog. Him and his sister Hannah hung with me through this fab for moral support :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
look nice

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Do you have any liquid ballst in the rear tires?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Those sound like some good dogs, oh and nice Bolens and good job on the weight box and weights

·
deevemon
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, who did the pinstriping/paint on your tractor? That is nice.
It was on it when I bought it a few years ago.

Do you have any liquid ballst in the rear tires?
Yeah, had both filled with methanol at the local Coop. All this added rear weight has really made a difference in traction. When scooping up gravels, there's no spinning at all. Also, before the added weight, I was trying to move a large round haybale lengthwise but couldn't go but a foot or two before loosing traction. With the added weight I moved it on where I wanted it and the tractor didn't slip once.

look nice
Those sound like some good dogs, oh and nice Bolens and good job on the weight box and weights
Yep, they're good 'uns alright. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Moving large round bales with an HT23 and only 2 wheel dirve. A lot ot be said about the Bolens engineers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts