My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to use my old Cub Cadet to plow snow this winter. I got the blade on, I got the chains ready. Now I need some weight on the back (NO Fat Jokes, I get enough of those from my WIFE!!! Anyway I already had doughnuts for breakfast. LOL)

The sleeve hitch seems to be a natural place to mount a bracket for suitcase weights.

On a Cub Cadet 108 with a sleeve hitch has anybody;

Figured out how to add a weight bracket for suitcase weights?

and

Figured out how to support the sleeve hitch so when the blade is lifted, you are not lifting the suitcase weights??

and

Figured if a sleeve hitch will support 176 pounds (4 weights) plus the bracket? (25 pound bracket, I build things heavy)

Any ideas would be very helpful!!! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Problem is You be Lifting the weight at the same time You Lift the Blade at least in the 108's Case or any IH made Cub Cadet If You Using the Brinly adapter on the IH 3point it's connected to the lift lever I suggest either Building a weight Box or Find a IH weight Box the Bolt in place of the rear Hitch or Just go with wheel weights:thThumbsU

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem is You be Lifting the weight at the same time You Lift the Blade at least in the 108's Case or any IH made Cub Cadet If You Using the Brinly adapter on the IH 3point it's connected to the lift lever I suggest either Building a weight Box or Find a IH weight Box the Bolt in place of the rear Hitch or Just go with wheel weights:thThumbsU
Yea, I got to find a way to immobilize the sleeve hitch.

The problem is I have the suitcase weights, they are Greene (FOR NOW!!) and I can not find any cast iron wheel weights in Virginia. (No plastic for me!)

And if I can pin the bracket on, I could get it off by pulling a pin.

The quest continues!!

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
Well Try these Cub Cadet Bone Yards http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=172824 for wheel weights BTW the cast Iron wheel weights for your Cub are the Front wheel weights for the Framall Cubs. I actually have a Bolens cast Iron rear frame weight that just attaches to a Pin on the rear Hitch Plate on my 106. You may want to Check out this forum http://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl and see How Members there have Made weights Brackets for the IH Cub's so they could use suitcase weights:thThumbsU

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a trac vac bracket on the back of my 125 ( notice how it attaches to the inner fender upright and the hitch )

click all pics for bigger

I built a bracket

to hold steel plates

works pretty good

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a trac vac bracket on the back of my 125 ( notice how it attaches to the inner fender upright and the hitch )

click all pics for bigger

I built a bracket

to hold steel plates

works pretty good
That looks like a good concept, I have some flat weight also!!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
JeffinPA-

That last pic of you blowing snow with the headlights on and the weight out back - that's a sweet pic of a hardworkin' Cub I must say.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JeffinPA-

That last pic of you blowing snow with the headlights on and the weight out back - that's a sweet pic of a hardworkin' Cub I must say.

that's a sweet pic of a havin' fun Cub I must say!!

We don't get enough snow for a blower in Va!! :crybaby:

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
I too have a Trac Vac bracket with 50# on the toung. Wheel weights and my 200# butt! I'am good on the weight and have no problems!:thanku:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Cub Cadet seems front end heavy with the blade on it. I am hoping to figure out how to move the weight back further using the sleeve hitch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Its rather simple to do, all it requires is removeing the bolt from the lift arm that conects to the rear casting, measure and drill 2 more holes, one in each strap, make sure sleeve hitch is high enough so the suite case weights do not drag the ground.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I was at the shop I "tackled" the sleeve hitch bracket.

I turned down a piece of 1.50" bar to 5/8" to fit in the sleeve hitch. The turned down part is offset to clear the sleeve hitch.

DSC_0009640x535.jpg

The pin was welded to a piece of 1/2" x 8" x 12" steel bar. Two little plates were added to keep the weights from falling off the edge.

DSC_0010629x640.jpg

I adjusted the bolts in the sleeve hitch to touch the bar, so the weights would not bend the 5/8" pin.

This is a great setup for grading the driveway, LOTS of down pressure on the blade due to the weights pushing down on the sleeve hitch, which pushes down on the blade!!

DSC_0012640x569.jpg

Next week I will figure out how to neutralize that weight so I will not have so much down pressure when pushing snow.

The attachment will hold four weights.

Is it blasphemy to use Greene weights on a cub Cadet??

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Nice bracket! The weights are cool, and could use paint if you choose to. I'd go with the cub cadet yellow paint too.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I may be acquiring a sleeve hitch soon, so I think I'm gonna hold off on making a weight bracket for the 2186 until the sleeve hitch is installed. I like the idea of using 5/8" rod welded to a bracket to hold suitcase weights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts