My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ol'bill
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18 h.p. troybilt riding mower with the pedal drive single speed rearend,I think its an 03'-04' model.Its been a good tough ride since I mow a 2 1/2 acre yard,the front yard is pretty smooth but the back 2 acres is pure hemmroids and chiropractor. I've used it for a mower,tower,hauler and more,but only have put one deck belt,and one drive belt and a few blades on it since new.I service it good before each mowing season and always keep it in the dry. I was putting new tires on it and noticed the right side rear axle had wore almost through the top of the aluminum housing. What happened?The left side is fine. I'm having a tough time finding another rearend.Are the single speed rears sealed with grease in them or is there a plug to check or fill it? thanks...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 18 h.p. troybilt riding mower with the pedal drive single speed rearend,I think its an 03'-04' model.Its been a good tough ride since I mow a 2 1/2 acre yard,the front yard is pretty smooth but the back 2 acres is pure hemmroids and chiropractor. I've used it for a mower,tower,hauler and more,but only have put one deck belt,and one drive belt and a few blades on it since new.I service it good before each mowing season and always keep it in the dry. I was putting new tires on it and noticed the right side rear axle had wore almost through the top of the aluminum housing. What happened?The left side is fine. I'm having a tough time finding another rearend.Are the single speed rears sealed with grease in them or is there a plug to check or fill it? thanks...........
If you go to MTD forum and search for Transaxle Help, you will find all kinds of information on this particular problem. I currently too have a 1999 Troy-Bilt with this same problem. Follow this link, and it should get you what you need.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=69611&highlight=618-0307C

I am going to try this particular fix for my tractor.

Good Luck

·
ol'bill
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go to MTD forum and search for Transaxle Help, you will find all kinds of information on this particular problem. I currently too have a 1999 Troy-Bilt with this same problem. Follow this link, and it should get you what you need.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=69611&highlight=618-0307C

I am going to try this particular fix for my tractor.

Good Luck
thank you for the info,I wasn't sure I was in the right forum to get any help,thanks again

·
Registered
668 Posts
I started that thread, what a pain these transaxles are. I just replaced another worn one, this one isn't through the case yet like my last one was, might be able to be saved with a new sheave bushing so I might have a good one for sale soon. You can buy just the top half of the case for around $70 or find a replacement. Ebay the cheapest is $250, best to find someone on craigslist that fixes equiptment or has piles of used tractors. the autodrives are pretty common, there should be plenty of used ones with blown motors out there cheap. Interesting that your right side is shot, the last two I had go bad were the left sides. A used one is going to cost you probably $100-150

1 - 4 of 4 Posts