My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad's International 400 has 14.9x38's on it right now that are badly weather checked and he'd like to replace them. Right now there is somebody local selling 18.4x38's.

Pics of the tractor on the top of this thread/page
Yard Crawl at Dad's House

Any chance that the 3.5" wider tires would fit on the same rims? Or is this ill advised?

Thanks,
-ron

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Dad's International 400 has 14.9x38's on it right now that are badly weather checked and he'd like to replace them. Right now there is somebody local selling 18.4x38's.

Pics of the tractor on the top of this thread/page
Yard Crawl at Dad's House

Any chance that the 3.5" wider tires would fit on the same rims? Or is this ill advised?

Thanks,
-ron
I'd say that you'd REALLY be pushing it, going that much bigger.
According to TractorData... stock rears for a 400 are 12 x 38 (which in today's sizes would be 13.6 x 38, I believe) which would mean that your 14.8's are already one size bigger than stock... and 4 sizes bigger than stock... just aren't going to fit on your rims right (unless, of course, you've got wider rims on the tractor now). You could probably, safely, go one size larger than what you've got now, but... if it were me... I probably wouldn't push 3 sizes without wider rims.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had seen the
International 400 Tractor Data Page
And I also saw this one for sale
International 400 narrow front with 14.9x38

But I'd never needed to worry about swapping to larger sizes in the past, I usually just run what they had on them.

As far as wider rims, do I just look for a different model that had similar size rims, how do I know if they will work with the existing rim centers?

For example my IH856 has 18.4x38's on it, will it's outer rim ring work with an International 400 center section?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if he has to buy new tubes and is replacing the tires I'd be willing to bet I can find different outer rims for a reasonable price and he wouldn't even have to worry about dismounting those old tires. I am certain that his slow-ground speed is going to suffer..

Another though, I am going to measure my IH856 rim width and have Dad do the same on his and compare the difference, to see if his outer rims have been swapped once already.

Thanks,
-ron

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
I had seen the
International 400 Tractor Data Page
And I also saw this one for sale
International 400 narrow front with 14.9x38

But I'd never needed to worry about swapping to larger sizes in the past, I usually just run what they had on them.

As far as wider rims, do I just look for a different model that had similar size rims, how do I know if they will work with the existing rim centers?

For example my IH856 has 18.4x38's on it, will it's outer rim ring work with an International 400 center section?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but if he has to buy new tubes and is replacing the tires I'd be willing to bet I can find different outer rims for a reasonable price and he wouldn't even have to worry about dismounting those old tires. I am certain that his slow-ground speed is going to suffer..

Another though, I am going to measure my IH856 rim width and have Dad do the same on his and compare the difference, to see if his outer rims have been swapped once already.

Thanks,
-ron

I can't speak authoritatively to this, but... I'd bet that your 856 rims would probably fit that 400...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dad and I did some calling around last week.
Locally (new) tires he found a dealership that would sell him tires for $500 each plus $350 for the farm call to change them. We later determined that dealership was trying to make his wallet extremely light. ($1300)

The other option he found locally was a pair of 'good used' 13.6 x38's that are already mounted and liquid filled. One is on a 400 rim already but the other one is on an 'M' rim. I haven't seen the difference but Dad claims there is an offset to the 400 rims that is different than the 'M' rims and that he'd have to change that one over to his existing rims. So the neighbor (also Dad's cousin) offered them to him for $600 and that included the dismouting of 2 tires and the remounting of 1 so that at the end of the day the entire 'upgrade' would run him $600 (plus a new tube)

I checked in Fargo (120 miles from his house) and 2 dealerships have the correct size and new tire for $420 installed if he brings the tractor to him. At the Firestone that I checked at here in town he said that for a 'normal farm call' say out to my house for example it would cost an additional $90. But if he had to run all the way to Dad's house it would be $250 (840 + 250 = $1090) which is still cheaper than his local guy. The Firestone guy also said that Dad's local Firestone should be able to sell him tires for the same price (Dad hadn't contacted the Jamestown Firestone Tire dealer yet) so I have to call Dad back later today to find out what he learned over the weekend, and if he made a decision.

thanks again guys,
-ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts