My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having some problems with my tractor not starting from time to time.
I thought this might be helpful to other who might be having the same problem.
I'm not sure I've fully diagnosed the problems but one thing I'm sure of was the rear PTO interlock switch was not properly adjusted.
Here is a picture of what the switch looks like with the mounting bracket removed:
[/IMG]
As you can see in the picture there is a spring loaded roller that makes the switch. My arm was not hitting the roller at the high point of the arm

There is no adjustment for the switch on the bracket.
The bracket has slots to move it back and forth so there is some adjustment there.
However the slots were only partially useful as the spring loaded flapper guards that cradle the arm needed to be moved in conjunction with the slots.
In order to do this I needed to remove the pin that holds the flappers and move some of the washers from one side of the flapper assy to the other.
This adjusted the relationship of where the arm is cradled to the slots.
[/IMG]
The arrows show where the washers were moved.

· Registered
1,876 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of switches on the rear PTO on a 4000 series and it is interesting that you have found apparently less than stellar engineering. I have had similar experience with PTO switch on my virtually new 7020 loader that I intend to remove when I get a chance because it doesn't work correctly and can't be adjusted. I have to use my finger to close the circuit on the PTO switch in order to start the tractor. While I'm at it I will probably remove the seat sensor switch because every time I hit a bump the engine cuts out--very frustrating. One of the reasons I like the older tractors is they don't have any of these switches. While I have no problem with safety devices that work and serve a useful purpose I think Ingersoll, along with a lot of other manufacturers, have gone overboard with these things and they are not well designed--thank you trial lawyers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.