My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
60's model JD 2020. After pressure washing, (probably wasn't a good idea), around the rear PTO shaft I now have an oil leak. Is this going to be a big deal to repair?
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
If it's anything like the 820 i replaced years ago, no problems. I drained about 3 gallons of hydraulic oil, took the 2 bolts out, pulled the shaft & took it to the dealer to have a new bearing pressed on.
It took longer driving to town & back than doing the work.

Ronnie

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
Since you mentioned pressure washing that area, you probably have damaged the seal. They can be replaced fairly easily. I would try that before replacing the bearing. If it started after pressure washing, it is the seal. The seal is located on the outside of the bearing to stop any oil from coming out around the shaft. The seal is just press fitted into a recessed area in the casting and it should be replacable without taking anything else apart. You should have a new seal before trying to remove the old one because you will likely destroy it getting it out. I use a heavy screwdriver and dig it into the rubber area and pry the seal out of the casting. You then put the new one in using a rubber mallet or a round object like a large socket to put pressure on the outer edge of the seal to set it into the casting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts