My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought I'd have a truck that had no bumper you could step on but danged if Toyota didn't make one. My 2017 Tacoma has plastic snap-on bumper corners that will break off if you can manage to get a foot on them.

As this is the highest truck I've had it's a pain to get in the bed with no bumper to step on. I've been looking at hitch steps for awhile but didn't like that they were covered with the tailgate down. Other side mounted fold down steps are really expensive--$250 or so.

I found an old Bully brand hitch step at the Goodwill the other day for $15. Meant to mount in the receiver hitch.
It stuck out too much and I didn't want to use it as it was meant to mount. My hitch has 2.5" tubing that the Bully would fit inside so I did a little retrofit. 1 hr in the shop and the end cut off and it slid in my hitch w/o blocking the receiver. Mounts out of the way and gives me a step to get in the bed. All for $15. Woot!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really didn't like the idea of removing a pin to extend this thing and then having to put it back in 2X just to step up in the bed. Ordered a spring pull pin from Amazon and welded it on. Now you just pull the spring pin down, extend the step then let it go and it locks in. Much easier and faster.

Attachments

·
I'll never get to 10,000
4,869 Posts
Great purchase and great fab to suit your needs.
Our '14 Silverado has the built in steps on the bumper and love those for climbing up and grabbing things in the bed,. Makes it much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great purchase and great fab to suit your needs.
Our '14 Silverado has the built in steps on the bumper and love those for climbing up and grabbing things in the bed,. Makes it much easier.
Yeah I've been jealous of those step bumpers for some time. Really is an oversight on Toyota's part to overlook.

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice fab job and good thinking--make something that you need work......
Thank you sir. Much more palatable for me to put a little work in to save a bundle.

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts