My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a small 48"-50" 540rpm 3pt snowblower on the back of a garden tractor? I was thinking about one for my 425. I have read threads about front vs rear on CUT's but wondering if anyone has used one on a GT. My reasons for looking at them is cost, availability, heavier duty, taller opening and I have heard they throw snow farther.

Thanks

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
That Cat 0 3pt might be the deal breaker. I've only seen Cat 1 or higher. Not saying they don't exist, probably just not common.

·
Young Buck
1,598 Posts
you could change a cat 1 48" blower over to cat 0 and get a shorter pto shaft but you would need allot of front weight.

·
Super Moderator
17,473 Posts
As Long as the Blower doesn't exceed 450Lbs as Ubber said it not to bad to convert In Most cases You Buy Cat 0 Pins and Turn them Inwards on the attachment and You should be able to attach it to Your Tractor I have seen several People Modify Blowers to work on there Cat 0 3points and If remember right there is one of two companies out there That make a Cat0/1 3point Blower just can't Think of the Brand Names right Now:thThumbsU

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not too concerned about availability as there is a dealer by me that sells Land Pride blowers that should attach fine. I have thought though that I will need a couple hundred pounds of weight on the front end to keep it down though since by 3pt blade makes it pretty light in the front already. I think the blower is around 380 lbs.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would recommend double-checking the PTO horsepower requirements for the blower you are considering. Rear PTO snowblowers work great but they need a fair amount of horsepower. Even a 48-50" unit will probably require 18-20 HP.

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Also if you do this plan on a lot of chiropractor appointments as you will not believe how stiff a neck you are going to have from trying to see what you are doing when you use the blower. Roger

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ok, it took me a while, but I know this has came up several times. And this is what has been reference several times as far as HP at the Rear PTO. The Landpride SB1051 require only a mininum of 18 HP at the rear PTO. Now what the 425 carries on the HP at the Rear PTO is a good question. If you do get one, give us some feed back as I'm interested.

Any Tractor in the X700 series Line including the X700 Can Handle the 54inch Blower and the 647 Tiller Because Both attachments were designed for The whole X700 series and BTW each tractor in the Line is Tested with the attachments that are Made for each Line Of Lawn Or Garden tractor By Deere. Basically the X700 replaced the X475 which can Run a 647 without a Problem The 647 is Basically the 450 Tiller redesigned and the 647 on requires 16 PTO HP and BTW all X700 series Have 18 PTO HP:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Tractor Data lists the 425 as 16 HP (claimed) at the PTO. Landpride lists 18-32 HP as recommended for the SB1051. I would think that the 425 might be a bit under powered for such an implement.

I have heard folks comment that if you want to find the weak links in your PTO system, hook a 3-point blower to it. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,473 Posts
I would recommend double-checking the PTO horsepower requirements for the blower you are considering. Rear PTO snowblowers work great but they need a fair amount of horsepower. Even a 48-50" unit will probably require 18-20 HP.
425 is rated a 16 PTO HP
445 & 455 are rated at 18 PTO HP
X465 thru X749 are rated at 18 PTO HP
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I just checked with the dealer and for the 51" they were quoting $2600 with the optional skid shoes. This is more than I previously though they were ($1800) so not sure if it will be a good option for me or not. But I think I will keep looking at other brands or possibly something used.

I see northern tool has one for $1400 and the reviews sound good so I may see if they have one at my local store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts