My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sorry1: I closed my shop over a month ago due to health problems, I sold a nice little JD sx75, ran great, I replaced the drive belts and did a almost complete replacement of the stearing ***, On the receipt it says( no warrentee on used equipt. shop is closed.) now this person says it has multiple problems and wants her money back, gee I didnt make even min wages on it but she seemed so nice I let her take it for $325, I was going to take it back BUT she wants cash not a check so something just dont sound right too me , I know I can blow her off as it ws sold as is, so any thoughts on what you would do? Im unable to do any repairs anymore so? thants ED

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Don't do anything and try not to lose any sleep over it. It was clearly sold as a used rig with no warranty. Some people simply find a way to complain about everything.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Hey, if you ask, don't ask for a loaf of bread, ask for the STORE! Don't shilly shally. It is a rule of thumb that if you squeak enough, you'll get some oil.
The customer is asking for the store. If you take it in return, then charge for the usage, and deduct that from your 'refund' amount. At least get paid for your labor & parts.
Out of business means out of business, unless you are a furniture store, in which case, the permanent "Going Out Of Business: All Sales Final" signs are bolted in place...
A personal friend might ask this favor, with no expectations, but a walk-in customer deserves to be treated as an adult who made a purchase decision, and is not allowed to renege on the transaction at their whim. You could not have said "I want my mower back... here's your money...." with any expectation that she'd concur. Same applies to the purchaser. You are not a big-box selling multiples of the same, with return policies that are generous, along with manufacturer support {some?} that covers some costs for re-sale of returned units.
Be nice to yourself, and do what you feel is right, proper and fair. Ask her how much it would cost to rent a mower for months???

tom

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My opinion is beggars cant be choosers. If you are willing to refund but she wants cash instead of check, SHE is now the one setting the conditions and in control as well as getting MORE than what was agreed upon in the first place.
No difference in cash or check other than going to the bank so she must not want a refund that bad. I have had to do worse to get LESS back than that.

I agree with the majority. She is trying to get over on you for some reason and I wouldn't let it happen OR lose sleep over it. Out of business means just that.....ESPECIALLY IF ON THE RECEIPT IT STATES "NO WARRANTEE" and it is known you are closing your doors.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Don't do anything and try not to lose any sleep over it. It was clearly sold as a used rig with no warranty. Some people simply find a way to complain about everything.
:ditto: That is about all I can say. She bought it and undoubtedly used it (in an unknown fashion). Give her the number of a repair shop and move on.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Some thoughts:

Getting a check from a store that is out of business is just plain stupid. I don't think anyone here would. OP, I'm sure it would be a good check cause your one of us ;-) Given that your sale was final (and said so on receipt), you are completely in the clear.

Unless you plan on opening again when your health is better, I would stay far away.
Does she think this equipment is a pair of pants to return?

Good luck!
-gh

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just a thought, what if she damaged it in anyway?

And then there is the "restocking fee" that some stores charge.

But it was sold "as is" and you are no longer in business.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you want a warranty buy new, used as is stated on title (no warranty) means that!

She's on her own sorry. I buy used I start it, try it, I listen to it, look at condition check oil, etc. If it goes at some time that's the nature of buying used to save money.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
People always want to get over. One time I sold four good tires to a woman, mounted them for free, and installed them on her car. The next day she was back, complaining they were all flat. I said that was impossible and then she admitted her boyfriend had come over, they had a fight, and he had punched her sidewalls with a knife. She STILL insisted I replace her tires! I told her to call the cops and went into the house. I don't know if she was that stupid or what.

·
Registered
891 Posts
If your business is closed, it's closed. Assuming you weren't running as a sole-proprietorship, you may be exposing yourself to personal liability should you enter into a deal with this person. I would not engage this person beyond "Ma'am, the business is closed, as indicated on the documentation." You might need to point out that the sale was between her and the business, and not her and you (as you are not the business, regardless of your former employment association.)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Bought as is where is. Says it all. Nothing to argue about. I's not in business but I do sell a few machines from time to time. You are no longer responsible for this machine. You have no knowledge how she or whoever used it treated it. Lose no sleep over this deal. And please don't offer her a check again. If she doesn't trust you to give her a good check I wouldn't trust her for the way she treated the tractor.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
If you pay her back in cash, she can STOP PAYMENT on the check she paid you with, getting double her money.

Nobody realizes how long after a check is cashed, it can still be "stopped"!! :Disgus:

Tell her to kiss your boots. She can put it on CL, like everybody else does.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
If she comes back, just tell her..."Sorry, No Habla Englais"

But really, shop is closed, tell her to pound sand....I wouldnt have offered her a dime on it, cash check or monopoly money.

you sold her a running, mower machine, for XXX amount...and she is trying to sell you back the same machine, broken..for the same amount...screw her.

Ive sold ALOT of stuff, only a few have come back, so far its never been an issue that wasnt caused by misuse/neglect...

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Oh, yea, this thread has the wrong title,,,:dunno:

She can not be a "customer" if there is no shop!! :drunkie:

Goodbye!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou all for your input ! Ive gotting realy sick worring over this Ive always been honest and fair with everyone even butts but enought is enough Im not ever going to try and please the public agin its the reason I got sick to begin with trying to help so many ungrateful ones , that little mower was in great shape I wish id kept it for myself, that was the plan but she drove me nuts for it I finaly gave in. so NO refund!! end of case. I'll still be watching on here as you all have become friends thankyou all. ED

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Thankyou all for your input ! Ive gotting realy sick worring over this Ive always been honest and fair with everyone even butts but enought is enough Im not ever going to try and please the public agin its the reason I got sick to begin with trying to help so many ungrateful ones , that little mower was in great shape I wish id kept it for myself, that was the plan but she drove me nuts for it I finaly gave in. so NO refund!! end of case. I'll still be watching on here as you all have become friends thankyou all. ED
how did you get sick helping ungrateful people? what's the connection? just askin...

we all could probably learn something here about your experience.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Your covered, and you stated that......in writing. Sorry Charlie.....no refunds, means no refunds.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
You did right thing! We have had some trouble in past selling machines! I was quite stressed one time, thank God it worked out. Dad was mad at me and customer was displeased as machines BOTH failed! God willing your heal improves my friend! Gods blessing and healing for you!
Eric

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
how did you get sick helping ungrateful people? what's the connection? just askin...

we all could probably learn something here about your experience.
Believe it or not, but some folks actually care about what people think about them and their reputation. It eats at them when someone accuses them of being a cheat.

I think the original poster did everything he should have done here and has no reason to feel bad about the deal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts