My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,155 Posts
Looking good, Mike. Here's one of my favorite quotes for ya.............."slow and steady wins the race". That mantra earned me the Team Manager(water boy) position on my high school track team.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
The gears, and case turned out nice, Mike. One thing that struck me was the paint used inside the case. Gravely rider transmission cases with LSD ( I have two, had to open one up) are painted in the same color. I wonder if the same company supplied transmissions to Case, and Gravely.

No need to tell you that Ellis left out a few (dozen) "O"s in "slow"... :)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The gears, and case turned out nice, Mike. One thing that struck me was the paint used inside the case. Gravely rider transmission cases with LSD ( I have two, had to open one up) are painted in the same color. I wonder if the same company supplied transmissions to Case, and Gravely.

No need to tell you that Ellis left out a few (dozen) "O"s in "slow"... :)
I have worked with painted cases before also. Sure makes cleanup a lot nicer. Ellis works faster than some of us.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
[QUOTE="Ariens93GT20, post: 12560140, member: 28080

Ellis works faster than some of us.
[/QUOTE]

Just what Ellis doesn't need to hear. Now he'll be all vindicated, and everything. LOL

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Don't worry Dave. Actions speak louder than words. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but...
MikeC

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I wish this was as easily accessible as this picture makes it look.

I was ready to post a question about "there must be a better way" cause this took forever. The vise grips are just lightly holding on to keep the actuator stem from turning. Was using a wrench but no room for two big hands. Now I know this looks easy to access but this is just the camera under there.
I on the other hand am slightly larger and nowhere near as flexible or movable. So I had to resort to doing it like this.

The round white circle is the frame of the mirror that I had to brace in place so I could see what I was doing. Of course it was a royal PIA as everything is in the opposite direction from the mirror reversing the image. And this first one never got loose enough to finish by hand. Thank goodness the other I was able to reach up and unscrew it by hand after loosening it with the wrench.
Thankfully this ordeal is over. At least until I have to re-install them on the other valve.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I wist this was as easily accessible as this picture makes it look.

I was ready to post a question about "there must be a better way" cause this took forever. The vise grips are just lightly holding on to keep the actuator stem from turning. Was using a wrench but no room for two big hands. Now I know this looks easy to access but this is just the camera under there.
I on the other hand am slightly larger and nowhere near as flexible or movable. So I had to resort to doing it like this.

The round white circle is the frame of the mirror that I had to brace in place so I could see what I was doing. Of course it was a royal PIA as everything is in the opposite direction from the mirror reversing the image. And this first one never got loose enough to finish by hand. Thank goodness the other I was able to reach up and unscrew it by hand after loosening it with the wrench.
Thankfully this ordeal is over. At least until I have to re-install them on the other valve.
MikeC
I am guessing a ratchet wrench would not fit in there? Guess that was a dumb question but it was hard at first to see the lines attached. Turn flip the wrench, turn flip the wrench not sure how many times I have done that in positions a mirror would have gone no good and my head just would not fit. I do have some crows foot line sockets but they would have had to of been repositioned each turn also. But six points are easier not match than two if you can get them big suckers in there.

·
16,760 Posts
Paul, that certainly was / is a consideration, especially after seeing all the abuse it has been through. And was also discussed on the Case forum,where it was mentioned that "if" everything was tight, and as it's quite a job to do, I might want to take a chance. For the short term, I'm leaving it. The plan is to revisit after everything else is taken care of. Going to get it all back together, make sure no other major problems exist, and then... take it all apart again to clean, sand and paint. Of course when thinking about luck I'm always reminded of Dirty Harry's "Do I feel lucky?" Looks like I'm rolling the dice and hope I don't crap out. Thanks for the note of concern. It's appreciated.
MikeC

PS: And before anyone writes about the quote. It isn't "Do you feel lucky, punk?" The actual quote is "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?"
////////////////////////////////

One of my very favorite movies--

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Holy crapola, it's in. Not hooked up but is bolted in place. AND it fit in the same holes. So my 444 now has a TCV w/ holding valve, or whatever the technical name is. What a way to end the day. I'm a happy camper.

Good Grief Charlie Brown! That thing is a monster.

Hope everything fits.
MikeC

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,155 Posts
Looking good Mike........any paint plans?

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looking good Mike........any paint plans?
Plans? We got plans for everything. Fist I plan to get it running as it should. Then I plan to take the pressure washer to it then plan to take it all apart. Then I plan to strip it... plan to prime then plan to paint it to original colors Desert Sunset and IH Power Red. But throughout it all I plan to enjoy the trip while also planning for side trips to keep track of your progress, or not, and plan to add some choice words of encouragement to help you along that long, long,... did I mention looong road to completion that you have been traveling.:sleep: Like forever. :devilish:
MikeC;)

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,155 Posts
Plans? We got plans for everything. Fist I plan to get it running as it should. Then I plan to take the pressure washer to it then plan to take it all apart. Then I plan to strip it... plan to prime then plan to paint it to original colors Desert Sunset and IH Power Red. But throughout it all I plan to enjoy the trip while also planning for side trips to keep track of your progress, or not, and plan to add some choice words of encouragement to help you along that long, long,... did I mention looong road to completion that you have been traveling.:sleep: Like forever. :devilish:
MikeC;)
Well, fair warning Mike, I'll probably be done way before you as I have no plans to paint mine.

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well, fair warning Mike, I'll probably be done way before you as I have no plans to paint mine.
If true then I know that will be a relief to all that are following your thread. And that will also fulfill the part of my plan to "add some choice words of encouragement to help you along."
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?:devilish:
MikeC

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nicer weather meant picking up some mid-winter pruning remains along with all the twigs and small branches taken down by snow and wind along with the early spring raking in the yard. But after a couple of hours of constant bending over and dragging a garbage can full of twigs my back said enough already. So back to the shop.
Everyone said the new valve wouldn't fit as to different size and that I'd have to drill a new hole. Well was thrilled to see that it bolted right in. That was a short lived feeling when it came to hook up lines. The valve sat a bit more forward that the old one, so the return hard line, which is pre-formed to snake out from under the tractor and out and around the engine, doesn't fit.

So everything comes back out and I re-drill and chamfer both holes 7/8" towards the rear.
Clamped a couple 16ga copper plates to bottom of holes so weld doesn't drip or burn through and now all is back in place and the line fits just fine.

So got the valve back in and the line fits
Knew the two lines from the TCV to the drive motor wouldn't fit and didn't want to mess around trying to bend the old steel lines so fitting in (hopefully) couple of short hydraulic lines I had made up. Need to stop by the shop and pick up another fitting and should be able to hook up the rest. Just need to figure a bypass for the two lines running to rear so I can move ahead with getting this running and checked out.
So now time to go hunt Easter eggs with grandson so will get back to this tomorrow.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Yes great when things work that are not supposed to. Can't count the number of times that has happened. Looks like you are making progress.

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
You're making good progress, Mike. First, the valve body tucked in nicely, and you're now well on your way to doing the same with the lines. Leave a few Easter eggs for your grandson to find. :)

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,483 Posts
Mike, you need this for the sticks. It will save your back. The grippers at the end are way better than any others I've tried or seen. I have the 28" one and it is just a tad short. You are taller. Get the 40" long one on Amazon. (y)
410mDj6TWxL._SY180_.jpg

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
35,219 Posts
Mike, I think Ellis is biting off more than he can chew, at your pace you will be done before he has the next bit of progress on his posted. As my dad would say, "he has two gears, slow and reverse!" :)

41 - 60 of 70 Posts