My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 444 in 2013. It runs, it mows and it leaks -What is it? Two yrs later I rolled it into the garage and put it on a recently acquired lift and there it sat for another two yrs. Been there so long it was surrounded by other projects, tractors and yes, if I'm being honest - some junk.

Well finally, after thinking of a way to modernize the lift Converting airbag lift to hydraulics??? and then being talked out of it by my friend, I had no recourse but to start on this poor forsaken tractor.
So the work has begun.
First thoughts were to strip it down, all of it, every nut and bolt. Get rid of the yellow and then paint. Then common sense took over... actually my buddy told me I was an idiot and should make sure it runs before doing all that. Can't believe I gave him the line that all of has heard at least once and probably more... IT RAN WHEN I PARKED IT!!!
Needed to take few things off to enable better access. The rear wheels along with the C110847 weights.

Along with the bracket for the rear weights along w/ the weights themselves.

Those "little" suckers are 54lbs each. Set them near a gallon can for size reference.

A bit more disassembly and basic cleaning. There's a lot more of that to do as this was spouting a major hydro leak, but looking at the bright side, no rust underneath. Just like Fluid Film. The leak was from some poorly brazed (one tube) and one poorly glued with an epoxy.(not mentioning any brands) Both of those lines have been replaced.

As mentioned in previous threads there are some missing parts that have been obtained and will be fitting them.
The brakes now in place.

More to come.

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now the problem is replacing the plate with the two speed sifting arm on it. The plate on this tractor doesn't have it.
I think the PO just took it off (along with all the tags labels and plates that would ID this particular model) and never reinstalled it. I need to remove the gas tank to get the two screws out on the inside of the plate.

And that means the fenders have to come off. The right one is easy, the left, well there's the rear hydraulic control valve assemble that is attached to the left side.
The weight box/ hitch will have to come off and it appears that the hydraulic valve secured with the three screws holding the back plate covering access to the tank mounts also has to come out.

Don't really want to disconnect valve because A) may be problematic because of condition of couple of the fittings. (will be taken care of later date) Also don't want to chance screwing up hydraulics because won't be able to continue with engine run up. Sounds plausible, right?
OK then. Guess folks might consider me a stubborn old man and my wife would probably agree. At 76 I can't argue about the old part, but as far as stubborn? No, I like to think that I'm persistent and also think outside the box. I know that a lot of you have the same problem that I often encounter when working alone. Just need that third hand. You know when your threading a bolt from underneath and you just can't reach the top side to put on the washer and nut. Well I generally call my wife out from the house but lately she's been going to my daughter's house quite a bit to help out with our second grandchild, a little girl born three weeks ago.
So this problem removing the stuff blocking getting the gas tank out needed a bit more than a third hand. I needed someone to stand around and hold it. When I put the hoist in I positioned it to cover the front portion of the lift. Then the tractor would be positioned with the appropriate area under the hoist. This time it is over the engine, figuring it would be needed if I strip this all the way down for paint.
But my problem is in the back. Hmm, drill a hole in a joist, screw in a hook over the hydraulic valve, hook it up and unbolt the control valve. Chain keeps it in position without having to risk damaging while unhooking the rest of the stuff.

So weight box and hitch out, gas tank removed and the plate w/ Hi / Lo selector is back in.

Now it's good news / bad news. First the good news. While cleaning up the carb I noticed a bit of free play in the throttle shaft. Examination showed that the throttle hole was worn. Hmm and after only 47 yrs. Well gave my son the measurements and he turned one out for me at his shop. (truck accessories and fairly good size machine shop) He started working at the accessory (caps, hitches, electronics etc.) some 25 yrs ago, and bought the biz about a doz yrs later. About six yrs ago he added on the machine shop and now does a lot of work milling replacement parts for many of the onion farmers in our region as well as the neighboring electric motor biz that deals primarily in large commercial motors, pumps and valves as in water and sewer plants and large manufacturing concerns. So gave him the dimensions and he made up the bushing for me.

Well on to the bad news. I went about taking a look at the prospect of opening up the transmission since it torn down as much as it is. BTW what a greasy mess with monumental amounts of debris atop of it.
So first I scrapped off some of the aforementioned dirt and grease before loosening the remaining bolts holding the frame and rear end together. I backed them out but didn't completely disconnect them as I wanted to see how and if there would be any unforeseen movement of said transmission. Prying the frame up a bit, )the small block of wood you see was for a fulcrum) I discover a unwanted surprise.

As you can see in the upper red circle there is a crack in the frame and unfortunately it appear at first glance to also be completely down the side behind the brake. The other side (in the large red circle)is obviously a not so well done repair with a pretty sloppy welded piece. The dotted line is just to give perspective as to how they line up. And they do.
My plan of action is three fold. First I guess I'm going to remove the rear hydraulic control lever and lines. You know the one presently hanging on the chain. I just need them out of the way and since the second part of my plan is to raise the frame off the transmission, I don't want to have to worry about kinking one of those lines. And since I'm planning on flushing the entire system, why not.

AND AS AN ASIDE I had to run out to pick up 3 1/2 gallons of Rotella T6 diesel oil for my Super Duty and while I was scanning the web for best prices (Wally World) I also stumbled on a good deal at TSC. I was looking for some 15 W-40 for the hydraulic system, thinking cheap as it might end up being a fill, flush and fill. Well they have a sale through Mar 31 where the 2 1/2 gallon of their traveler brand 15W - 40 Diesel is on sale for 17.99. Makes it $1.80 a quart. I bought two, might go back for another since I have at least four others to do oil changes on.

So sorry for that commercial interruption. As I was saying thinking about just raising the frame with engine hoist, sort of rotating on the front wheels high enough to get access. And I think (sure hope so) that the brake drum (disconnect the part hooked to frame) stays down below on the tranny. Can't see why it wouldn't and then I'll be able to move along to step three, which is weld and plate inside and get this puppy back in shape.
MikeC

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,486 Posts
That's a big job, Mike. What are your plans for it when finished?

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a big job, Mike. What are your plans for it when finished?
Al, the immediate plan is to get it running and get it out of the garage. Believe it or not really don't have any particular plans for it. I bought it be cause I just couldn't let that piece of old iron go to the scrapper. And it had that great hydraulic trailer that I have put to real good use. Oh yeah and the other thing... wife told me to!;)

Done yet?
Ellis, I know you have set the bar pretty high for completing projects, but I'm not worried about that even adding in the eight year delay! :devilish:
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
When I first saw the thread title I thought it was another Ellis thread. So, a little a little of the pot calling the kettle black, Mike? :) This looks like quite a project. I would be a little leery about taking the hydraulics apart too unless I really had to.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,436 Posts
Wow! I thought my barn was crowded. Don't feel so bad now.
Sounds like you're digging in. Good luck!
Hope that frame can be repaired.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,155 Posts
Ellis, I know you have set the bar pretty high for completing projects, but I'm not worried about that even adding in the eight year delay! :devilish:
MikeC
They'll be nothing but support and understanding from me, Mike. I'm not one of those people that goes around with a group of fellow miscreants to kick a poor(good looking) guy when he's down, out and overwhelmed. You know the type.

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh golly gee Ellis. You really think I'm "good looking?":love:
MikeC

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe post a pic of the other side of the garage where you must be hiding all the junk?
Dave Hiding? Surely you jest. That would take so much more room. And I take umbrage at the word junk. All of that stuff is highly sought after parts for a yet unknown project or need.:ROFLMAO:
MikeC

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,155 Posts

·
16,760 Posts
Mike C.--do you have a MIG--and can you weld? Show us , other old guys something--

glenn

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cant say Ive ever seen a frame cracked there!! Good work getting her apart, together, and apart again...:)
Been told that it is fairly common on ones that used a tiller, plus who knows how much weight was bounced around on the trailer.
Mike C.--do you have a MIG--and can you weld? Show us , other old guys something--
glenn
Yes Glenn have the mig. Weld? Not pretty but can stick metal together.
MikeC

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Now as you can see the area I'm gonna be working in is a greasy oil covered mess. That makes for a messy work place as well as a fire hazard when doing the welding. The amount of dirt necessitated the use of something more than a pan of water and a toothbrush.
The product is not new, the use of said product is, I imagine quite "different" that what it commonly used for. I am shamelessly borrowing an idea that has been used in offices, and I guess elsewhere, where there is a leaking ceiling.
Fancy dancy ones cost money, but going through the various pieces of quality surplus parts gathered over the years (wives and the other un-initated folks call that junk) I found a bulkhead fixture from messing around with rain collection system years ago.
I happen to have a used tonneau cover( actually I have about 20 used ones from my son's business and use them to cover tractors and whatever needs cover from the elements (or hiding from the wife!)

Engine hoist to raise off of jack stands.

Tucked the cover underneath tractor between it and the jack stands and used spring clamps to form a bowl with the drain hole at bottom.

After using a spray can of Gunk engine cleaner (had one on the shelf) a brush to loosen it all up, I then used a watering can to wash it all down. And like they say in the commercial "away goes trouble down the drain."

Floor and surrounding area stayed dry and mess was contained.
Did a decent job.

I'm ditching the tonneau cover, too stiff and doesn't form a nice funnel. Replacing cover with a small tarp. Also wouldn't lower back on jack stands cause it hinders accessibility to a lot of the area beneath and behind. And I'm swapping out the hose adapter for a 90 degree nylon fitting which doesn't stick down as far allowing it to drain better. But as a way to do some basic cleaning when temp outside are freezing and you are to be able to work clean, I like it. Now can't wait to get it back to a rolling chassis so I can get it to the car wash.;)
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
12,736 Posts
That was a good idea, Mike. It looks like it worked out well for you too. Yes, tonneau covers make great "hiders" of things. :)

·
Administrator
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have reached the proverbial fork in the road. Because of the cracked frame I am trying to figure in what order to proceed. I have yet to start the engine since it has been in the shop. I drove it on to the trailer when I bought it then shut it down and pushed it off the trailer and onto the lift because of a serious hydraulic leak. Actually more like a spray on the end of a hose rather than a leak.The culprit? Poorly repaired hydraulic tubes from the TVC. (not my repair work) And if it were I wouldn't be posting a pic here.

So I was going to put some oil in the hydraulics and test run motor. Then dump oil and disconnect lines so I can raise the frame to repair. Replace TVC with newly acquired (OK couple years ago) TVC Holding valve. Refill hydraulic tank. Drain and open transmission Ck for gremlins and refill.
But then figured why hold back because A) the machine is virtually empty of fluids, B) it'll give me time for the transmission gasket to arrive and C) jeez it should run 🤞 otherwise why am I doing all this?:eek: So just do it now.👍
So I'm just disconnecting the already empty or mostly so lines. Doing the repairs to frame, replacing TVC Holding valve, fill system and engine and hope. After all "it ran when I parked it!" :D
MikeC

1 - 20 of 70 Posts