My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok crew, i know there's ton of info on here from you fine folk about tires for your sears tractors but i don't have good signal to check very often on this towboat. You might be surprised to know the Mississippi River is not lined with cell towers!

Really want to get a set of ag tires bought and shipped before I get home so i can start plowing ASAP. I only get 28 days home at a time and need to utilize it best i can.

Already purchased a set of tri ribs from me miller for the front but don't want to buy the wrong size tires for the backs. I have purchased lawn tires a couple times for other yard machines i sent to the scrap heap over the years and have noticed some tires aren't the same width. Can someone help me with what will work and not be narrower than my original sears 23x9.5-12? If they are original? Why is it so hard to find ag tires this width but turf tires are dimes a dozen? Do they not make 23x9.5-12 ag tires? For the life of me, I'm having the hardest time with cell service and finding info.

This is for my 1971 ss14. Its gonna be my garden mule so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, wholeheartedly!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Buy chains. They'll fit what you have on there now and provide better traction and you won't have to have new tires mounted. Probably cheaper too, figuring in paying someone to mount them and "maybe" shipping on tires. JMHO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The back tires are Sears brand 23x9.5-12. i have one rear that is empty of air but hard as a rock. Still round too...and tractor rolls with it surprisingly. Cracked so bad I cannot see them lasting under a work load. Original tires are toast :(

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
That's likely because you are limiting your search to ag tyres. Even if you don't purchase from Amazon, enter "23x9.5x12 ATV tires" into the search box. You will get a whole slew of different tread designs. You are limited to the height under the rear fender of how tall the tyre is. In your example:
23 is the height of the tyre.
9.5 is the width of the tread
12 in the rim diameter
All in inches. The height and width are variable, not the rim size, but there are all kinds of options. Many like the Bearcat and Ocelot tread designs and I have the Rampage on my L120.

And no, I'm not surprised about cell coverage on the Mississippi River. I traveled it on my recumbent pedal trike in 2012 from around St. Louis to Natchez. Was really surprising to me that there is virtually nothing for miles and miles except flat land used for farming. No towns, no places to eat, very few stores of any kind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it was me, I'd run 23x10.5x12. Most of the cheaper ag tires seem to run a little bit narrow than their listed size anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Buy chains. They'll fit what you have on there now and provide better traction and you won't have to have new tires mounted. Probably cheaper too, figuring in paying someone to mount them and "maybe" shipping on tires. JMHO
Got to chuckle ever time someone recommends this. Haven't needed chains since putting the ags on and go places the turfs with chains would never go.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for all the replies and info. Finally had enough signal to do some more research also and have read in some of the forum posts that some of the ag tires cause issue using the mower deck and fender and frame clearance issues.

This really concerns me and has me not pulling the trigger on a set of ag tires just yet. I won't be mowing much with this tractor but I don't want to limit its capabilities.

Was finally able to see my message from miller tire also. Was thinking I was wanting to put Firestones on the back of the tractor also to have matching manufacturer for fronts/backs but when i saw the price i did the "cough cough" clearing of the throat....ouch! 330 bucks plus shipping for the Firestones. Not sure I want invest that much into them unless they were really worth it.

They look great and the 23 degree seems impressive but it says floatation tire and miller stated all the tractor pullers use them. I want to plow my garden and work my property and wonder how these would do in fine powdery soil meticulously milled with disk and harrow. And I will be pulling logs and such from time to time along with pulling a loaded trailer of firewood from my hillsides but not competition tractor pulling...lol. Would these just float on top or would they dig in when I have my old mule disk cutting as sharp as it will go? 🤔

Never thought i would run into so many challenges and concerns trying to pick the right set of tires for my little tractor. This is worse than buying a pair of shoes! Hahaha

Anyone had any clearance issues with their mower deck/fenders/inner frame of their 69-72 Sears tractor and ag tires? For those of you with ag tires, are 23x10.5-12 too wide for an '71 SS14. Would a 23x8.5-12 pull better is loose soil? Dang, I still seem to be at a loss over this particular situation. Sorry to be asking more questions for what should an easy subject to interpret.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Thanks for the reply, c_rad!
It's just something that many in the L & G tractor world never think about. But you fit the tyre to the conditions as there isn't one tyre that works well in all conditions. I had the chevron ag tyres on my CC 2544 and that was a vast improvement although mud was still an issue. I now have chevron ag tyres on the front and Rampage atv tyres on the rear of my JD L120.
The height of the tyre is mainly determined by what you can fit under the rear fender and the width from hitting the frame. Even if you go one or two inches taller or wider, it won't be much of a problem. Most mower decks are adjustable in some fashion or another and with a taller tyre, you may need to do that. Besides, it's all part of leveling the mowing deck. There is zero suspension with almost all L & G tractors, the flexibility of the rear sidewalls provides that, if any.
Generally, when you are pulling something with the tractor, the deck should be off. If the rear wheels sink that deck acts as a huge anchor making it quite impossible to move.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sears 23x9.5-12 vs BKT 23X10.5-12. The height is listed as 23 for both tires, but the BKT is probably two or two and a half inches taller, but the widths are pretty similar. . I don't have a deck laying around so I can't say if the larger tires will clear the deck and gauge wheels.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply, c_rad!
It's just something that many in the L & G tractor world never think about. But you fit the tyre to the conditions as there isn't one tyre that works well in all conditions. I had the chevron ag tyres on my CC 2544 and that was a vast improvement although mud was still an issue. I now have chevron ag tyres on the front and Rampage atv tyres on the rear of my JD L120.
The height of the tyre is mainly determined by what you can fit under the rear fender and the width from hitting the frame. Even if you go one or two inches taller or wider, it won't be much of a problem. Most mower decks are adjustable in some fashion or another and with a taller tyre, you may need to do that. Besides, it's all part of leveling the mowing deck. There is zero suspension with almost all L & G tractors, the flexibility of the rear sidewalls provides that, if any.
Generally, when you are pulling something with the tractor, the deck should be off. If the rear wheels sink that deck acts as a huge anchor making it quite impossible to move.
Oh yes, my mower deck is always off the tractor unless I'm mowing! Seen many a good newer machine (not considered a garden tractor) ruined because of this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sears 23x9.5-12 vs BKT 23X10.5-12. The height is listed as 23 for both tires, but the BKT is probably two or two and a half inches taller, but the widths are pretty similar. . I don't have a deck laying around so I can't say if the larger tires will clear the deck and gauge wheels.
View attachment 2450441
SSG, i really appreciate that picture. Was exactly what I needed to see. Pretty much sums it up for me also and lets me know I'm going to have to be home to buy these rear tires. Want to make sure my clearance issues are addressed for my mower deck and also for my fender wells.

Don't want to be the fellow showing off his prized SS14 with the ripped off or bent running board near the rear fender. When i plow and disk, I go deep. Want to make sure there's room inside my fender wells for that dirt when I'm digging deep. This will be my first season using this tractor for this and want to make sure it's done right.

THANKS to everyone who chimed with their knowledge and experiences. Great group of people on here. Will post pictures of my new tires after I determine what im gonna go with. Before and after they hit the dirt of course! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's likely because you are limiting your search to ag tyres. Even if you don't purchase from Amazon, enter "23x9.5x12 ATV tires" into the search box. You will get a whole slew of different tread designs. You are limited to the height under the rear fender of how tall the tyre is. In your example:
23 is the height of the tyre.
9.5 is the width of the tread
12 in the rim diameter
All in inches. The height and width are variable, not the rim size, but there are all kinds of options. Many like the Bearcat and Ocelot tread designs and I have the Rampage on my L120.

And no, I'm not surprised about cell coverage on the Mississippi River. I traveled it on my recumbent pedal trike in 2012 from around St. Louis to Natchez. Was really surprising to me that there is virtually nothing for miles and miles except flat land used for farming. No towns, no places to eat, very few stores of any kind.
Flaken, when traveled down towards Natchez, did you travel down Natchez State Highway? Its a beautiful 55 mph journey with no commercial traffic allowed, but there is not much in the way of gas stations or stores along the way. Also if traveling at night watch out for the herds of deer resting on the center of the highway. It can be very treacherous for motorcyclist or automobile travel at night from the deer herds everywhere!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts