My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 B&S motor on my RER is nickle and diming me to death and I can't get it to run right for more than a few minutes. I think I'm going to get the 11 hp Honda GXV340A2DA33 from Small Engine Warehouse.

Great engines, great price. Opinions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just put a B&S 11.5HP, 217877-0111 on mine. Drop in replacement. Just check your mower model number. Mine is listed as 300810BE. You can look at the pictures and see if it is similar to yours. If you haven't, email them a picture of your mower with model number and they will help you. Very helpful folks.

--
rob

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Call small engine. Have the model number of your BS engine and have them give you the right engine. Never worked with them but hear great things. Honda's are awesome. The worst problem you could run into is no holes for the Honda. You may have to drill them but otherwise it should work out great.

Other BS engines will work as well. Also for a 30" you could probably very easily go to an 8hp or 10hp. That's what a ton of the older 30's had. I run a 33" on a 10hp with no issues whatsoever. Might help you save money.

T.C.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tore down my 12 hp B&S over the weekend and figured out that it has really badly worn valve guides, along with needing the usual rings, valve seat run-in, new gaskets and seals.

I called around the local engine shops today. Most of them don't have the tools and reamers to do the valve guides anymore. Finally, I called one of the dealers that happens to be right on my way between work and home.

He said he could get the Briggs valve guide inserts, and dig up the old special tools somewhere in the back of his shop, --- OR --- he could sell me one of his new old stock Briggs motors sitting on the shelf for years, never run before, that he bought from an older shop owner who sold his inventory to him years ago.

So, I am picking up an 8 HP B&S with recoil start, one year warranty from the shop owner, for $275. I couldn't pass it up. Saves me a lot of stress and time for about what the rebuild parts and valve guide work would cost me.

Yeah, I'm giving up 4 hp over the original engine, but I think my Snapper with 28" deck was overpowered anyway at 12 hp. I never really did manage to bog it down much when it was running good, and the old engine probably wasn't putting out the rated 12 hp even then.

Much thanks due to Restrorob and the crew over at Lawnsite mechanic's forum for steering me in the rioght direction to figure out what was up with my old engine.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
I have run a 33" with a 10 hp engine for 3 summers now with no problems. an 8hp is plenty for a 28". That's what they used to come with anyway.

Good luck.

T.C.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,075 Posts
Well SOME 28" Snappers came with an 8 hp. You had a choice with 11 hp being the original second engine. I much prefer a 12 or 12.5 hp. While an 8 hp may handle it, the 28" is a Hi-Vac deck and when the Hi-Lift blade tips are added to the blade and a grass pick up attached, the extra hp combined with the larger crankshaft pulley gives more lift and more reserve power in heavy grass especially plus higher ground speed.

As I have pointed out in other posts, Snapper RER used 2 different sizes of pulleys on the engine crankshaft with 8 hp using the smaller pulley so it could pull the blade.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
524 Posts
Walt, I'll admit that I have been out of the loop for quite a few years, but if memory serves me correctly the blade size dictates which pulley is used, not engine size.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures of the re-do from today

Here are pictures of my final assembly today. I painted the back of the chassis, the rear wheels, and mounted the engine. Man, it runs nice. Haven't had a brand new engine on any of my equipment for a long time. I didn't mow with it today because I want the paint to harden before all the grass and dust sticks to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Very nice...that gives me some encouragement to do something about my "fleet" of Snappers in my garage (I have 5, my late father's and 4 I picked up from CraigsList this summer). Luckily, all the engines run so now it's a matter of getting belts, sanding/priming/painting and some tires.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hi I'm new to this forum but I've been on the garden web site for a while.I recently changed my B&S 9HP for a Honda GXV390 13 HP,on my WM280921B RER.I talked with some people on the other site about the swap,and if any of you have any questions I would be glad to try and help.The GXV390s on E-bay are selling for $300 including shipping,this is a steal!I'm very happy with the Honda so far,it's quieter,smoother,burns less gas and starts very easily

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I'm new to this forum but I've been on the garden web site for a while.I recently changed my B&S 9HP for a Honda GXV390 13 HP,on my WM280921B RER.I talked with some people on the other site about the swap,and if any of you have any questions I would be glad to try and help.The GXV390s on E-bay are selling for $300 including shipping,this is a steal!I'm very happy with the Honda so far,it's quieter,smoother,burns less gas and starts very easily
DC, glad to hear that your Honda swap worked out. Did you have to add spacers behind the rear bumper? I heard that the Honda needs that to fit.

I have been real happy with my 8 hp B&S. I gave it a tough test this weekend, blasting through 2 foot thick piles of leaves. The engine doesn't bog down. The mower belt slips first. It seems just as strong as my old 12 hp B&S did, but then it was down on power at the end.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The exhaust outlet fouls the r/h bumper. I used a stack of washers, about 1/2 inch, to clear. I added the same amount to both bumpers to sit level when sitting on the rear.Snapper makes spacers for the bumpers but at $6 apiece I just used washers.The rear bumper,one piece on the 42 inch deck with the Briggs v-twin engine look like it might work but it's expensive too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts