My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gizmoligist
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fabrication shop. I used to develop new products, inventions, general fabrication, but things are slow. Who needs to develop new products when it all comes from China?

Anyway, I have a few parts that I am going to make for my David Bradleys and I got to thinking maybe I could provide some hard to find parts to the GT world. I would make extras and sell them on Ebay. These would be as close to exact as possible.

Is there someone doing it already?

What parts would you want and what would you pay for one?
Include pictures if you could.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Not sure on price, but replacement dashboards for the MTD 990 would be a start. The originals are plastic and are usually found broken.

That, and replacement grills for Sears Suburbans with hood hinges that don't break.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't have a Cub Cadet but the old original fenders are hard to come by and pricey. There is someone remaking these and getting a good buck.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I could come up with quite a list. But the reality is that it wouldn't be a money maker when you consider your time to set up, then only to sell maybe a dozen or so of an item.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sears 3 point....
The 3 points are not really that hard to make and should be a market for some.
I made one last summer and its still going :)
The grills for the sears I think would be a big seller as long as they are priced right...

·
Gizmoligist
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure on price, but replacement dashboards for the MTD 990 would be a start. The originals are plastic and are usually found broken.

That, and replacement grills for Sears Suburbans with hood hinges that don't break.
Please send photos. I could do the search, but I would want to know exactly what you are thinking.

·
Gizmoligist
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could come up with quite a list. But the reality is that it wouldn't be a money maker when you consider your time to set up, then only to sell maybe a dozen or so of an item.
Please make the list Dogg. attach photos.

I am doing this in the old school minibike market currently and there is a little money in it.... maybe. But aside from the money, we need our missing tractor parts!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Simplicity Sunstar 3pt hitches, Ford GT 85/GT 95 3pt hitches and 3pt hitch for Troybilt
GTX 18/20.These are all difficult to find 3pts and with the Sunstar especially many of the tractors in use.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I don't own one, but a lot of guys seem to be searching for removable grill pieces for old Sears/Suburban tractors, as well as pulley/belt covers/shrouds. Dashes, hoods and grilles are a very common complaint, so if you could find an easy way to fab up something better than the original plastic or fiberglass, you'd be a hero to lots of guys here.

If you want to be my hero...

Please help me out with brackets so I can add a linear actuator to lift my 2003 46-inch snowblower attachment on my 2003 GT5000. Here is an excellent thread with pics (alas, no measurements) of some custom brackets that someone made: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=72095

I am specifically looking for the 2 brackets in the second picture of the first post in that thread.

EDIT: The pics in posts 21 and 23 of this thread were apparently the inspiration: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=48357&page=2

Just so you don't feel bad about taking someone else's idea, I tried contacting the OP, but he is no longer around (on MTF). I also tried to contact others in the thread, but can't get anyone to reply that can actually make them. :banghead3

I think a good price would be in the $45 range? :trink40:

Mike

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Case 200 series sleeve hitch:
OEM price $700+

With some research you might be able to make a semi universal 3 point for GTs. There are several companies that offer the lower lift arms and lift links but no rock shaft or connections to the lifting mechenism.
Used 3pth for WH d series $300+
Used 3pth for MF/Snapper GTs $250+
Used sears manual 3pth $100+

Some of the others can chime in on the different makes that need 3pth.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Heat seeking missile mounted on the hood for taking out gophers. Buyers will need to sign a release form in case it takes out an ankle biter 3 pound dog.

·
Gizmoligist
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
An important par of reproducing parts is having a good one to copy or a good drawing.

With one or the other, it can be done.

Except in the case of a hood mounted heat seeking gopher missile, HSGM attachment, its all blue sky baby. We'll need to have a meeting and set some design parameters.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Manufacture new 3 point hitches to fit Case/Ingersoll for less than what Ingersoll sells them for new.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
TAPER SHAFT ADAPTERS!!!!!!!!

Genset engines are plentiful and cheap, used or new. But they have tapered shafts so no pulleys can fit on it. Everybody wants an adapter to go from taper to straight.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts