My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread Toolin breached the topic of reusing old office desks and cabinets in his garage. I agree that this is a great use of the older stuff. The old Steel Case office desks are built like a battle ship and can be had for free. In one piece they require several people to move but can be disassembled into components and moved easily with the aid of a two wheeler.

This is my work bench made from an old secretary desk. The compartment on the left has the typewriter lift which now mounts a small belt sander and a 6" bench grinder which disappear when not in use. The base is made from discarded bed frames I picked up on trash day and elevates the work surface to a comfortable height for me. Not shown in the photo is the old typist chair with an piece of tubing elevating it to the correct height for the bench.

Wall lockers and storage cabinets are frequently available for free or short money on CL and sometimes the office furniture suppliers will give you the old stuff just to save having to haul it for scrap.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That's a pretty nice setup you have. I like it a lot.

I saw two six foot long banks of old kitchen cabinets on CL this morning for $30 each. of course, they had just been sold when I checked them out. Someone got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
These were free cabinets that I got off Craigslist. One the lighter colored cabinets they were all of the kitchen of the home and I had to load them into my truck, The darker ones were given to me from a guy that was tearing down a old lake side home as the home was condemn as the foundation was unstable, He had to completely tear the old house out and did not want to haul a lot to the dump and so he posted on Craiglist, I also got a commode and bathroom vanity that I use in the garage.

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Those were an amazing haul, Michael. You did really good! :fing32:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These were free cabinets that I got off Craigslist. One the lighter colored cabinets they were all of the kitchen of the home and I had to load them into my truck, The darker ones were given to me from a guy that was tearing down a old lake side home as the home was condemn as the foundation was unstable, He had to completely tear the old house out and did not want to haul a lot to the dump and so he posted on Craiglist, I also got a commode and bathroom vanity that I use in the garage.
Good find on the cabinets and the fixtures.

For those that might like to hang some old kitchen cabinets for storage check with the cabinet shops in your area. One of the local shops will give you as many as you want so they don't have to pay the trash company to haul them off.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Good find on the cabinets and the fixtures.

For those that might like to hang some old kitchen cabinets for storage check with the cabinet shops in your area. One of the local shops will give you as many as you want so they don't have to pay the trash company to haul them off.
Most of the guys that do remodels of kitchens and the such around here want to charge folks from $10-30 for used cabinets. I just keep a eye out on Craigslist and generally in the winter I have better success finding the used free cabinets.

I am not going to pay for cabinets when if I am patient enough I can get them for free. After all some folks have the motto "If it is free, it is for me."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts