My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jumping in a little late on this thread, but tell me about the Antenna (square panel) on your roof. Is that some kind of WiFi? It looks like Radio-based wireless network bridge/access points that I have in use at work between buildings.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Re: Storm Damage!!! ( Updated )

Jumping in a little late on this thread, but tell me about the Antenna (square panel) on your roof. Is that some kind of WiFi? It looks like Radio-based wireless network bridge/access points that I have in use at work between buildings.
The Antenna (square panel) is my receiver for my Broadband Internet. The antenna behind it transmits the signal next door to my daughters house. She can not get reception from her house to the transmission tower..

·
Administrator
21,548 Posts

How does that work, Ken? And what's the upload? Is that dialup?

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts

How does that work, Ken? And what's the upload? Is that dialup?
No dial-up...Radio signal...

There is a transmitting tower about 5 miles away from my place.

My upload shows 100.0 Mbps whatever that means(?)..

I was on dial-up for about 10 years :)banghead3) until this Broadband came along..:thThumbsU

SmartBurst® Link

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Sweet! Does your ISP provide the antenna? I wish we had that around here. I have to use a cellular-based connection from Verizon. Its only advantage is that you can take it with you anywhere you go. I have the pcmcia card in a WiFi router so that all my wireless devices can use it, but I can plug it into a laptop for on the go....
My only other option is to bury a conduit (3" sch 40 PVC) from my house to the road. That would cost around $3,000.00 not counting the cost of digging. And then, I've never been able to get the cable company to confirm that they would pull the line that far. I would ultimately prefer to do that because that would provide me with cable TV instead of satellite and also I would be able to get phone service from them too. Right now, I just rely on cell phones.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts

Sweet! Does your ISP provide the antenna? I wish we had that around here. I have to use a cellular-based connection from Verizon. Its only advantage is that you can take it with you anywhere you go. I have the pcmcia card in a WiFi router so that all my wireless devices can use it, but I can plug it into a laptop for on the go....
My only other option is to bury a conduit (3" sch 40 PVC) from my house to the road. That would cost around $3,000.00 not counting the cost of digging. And then, I've never been able to get the cable company to confirm that they would pull the line that far. I would ultimately prefer to do that because that would provide me with cable TV instead of satellite and also I would be able to get phone service from them too. Right now, I just rely on cell phones.
Prior to this service all I had at my disposal was dial-up!! (Boonies).

When SmartBurst first came out here, they did the installation free. I understand that now new subscribers have to pay for the equipment.($200).

I do not have a laptop, but when and if I do, I will check into Verizon (My cell people) or Sprint wireless for traveling.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
100.0 mbps (mega bytes per second ) is fast Ken, you should be pleased with that. Be glad it is not kbps (kilo bytes per second) :fing32:.

As an example:
Old V.90 modems supported data rates up to 56 Kbps. Traditional Ethernet supported data rates up to 10 Mbps while Fast Ethernet provides 100 Mbps and Gigabit Ethernet supports 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps).

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
100.0 mbps (mega bytes per second ) is fast Ken, you should be pleased with that. Be glad it is not kbps (kilo bytes per second) :fing32:.
Actually mbps is megabits, not megabytes. Small p = bits, Big P = bytes.

In Ken's case, that is just the speed between the PC and the CPE, not the actual internet speed. That radio probably uses WIFI 802.11B technology which cannot exceed 4 - 5 mbps. Most WISPs will limit the speed below that since it is shared by all other users on the tower.

My WISP uses Motorola Canopy 5.7 GHz radios and I get about 5 MB down, 2.5 MB up.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Actually mbps is megabits, not megabytes. Small p = bits, Big P = bytes.

In Ken's case, that is just the speed between the PC and the CPE, not the actual internet speed. That radio probably uses WIFI 802.11B technology which cannot exceed 4 - 5 mbps. Most WISPs will limit the speed below that since it is shared by all other users on the tower.

My WISP uses Motorola Canopy 5.7 GHz radios and I get about 5 MB down, 2.5 MB up.

Its all geek to me!! All I know and care about it is wayyyyy better than 10 years of dial-up!!!
_

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Smartburst' platinum plan is 6.1 Mbps download, and 1 Mbps upload.

Plenty fast for 99.999% of users.
I have the bargain cable plan of 1 Mbps down and 384Kbps up, and surf and run two VOIP phone lines with no complaints.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I work in IT as a network admin and setup a wireless internet hotspot at work with a dozen APs, several of which are the same outdoor radios that WISPs use. I also worked with a local WISP, renting them space on one of our towers East of town to service some of my users.

At one time I used the same WISP for my home internet. West of town, they were on a little 60 foot tower and in order to get a signal which has to be pretty much line of sight, I buried 300 feet of CAT5 wire to reach out to the side of the public road where the signal had a path along the ROW. The WISP was limiting the speed to 256 kbps up and down. At the time it was better than dialup but not by a whole lot.

Since then, another WISP put up a 330 foot tower that I can see from the house and so I switched. What a difference from 256 kbps!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If you are on their silver plan, Ken, you are doing just fine!

If you are on one of their premium plans, not so much.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
This is what I get...

Good??? OK ??? Comments???

With those sort of speeds, I would check with the WISP as to why you are not getting better. Maybe they have different teirs of service and you are on basic? Maybe they are over-subscibed on the tower or you are sharing the tower with someone torrenting (P2P)? Maybe you have a signal quality issue? Best to inquire and find out. Ask them what dB your radio is getting from the tower and what dB the tower is seeing from your radio, then post the dB numbers here. Ideally you should see better than -75. Keep in mind they are negative numbers so less is more (i.e. -60 is better than -70).

OH! Check with your family members first. Maybe they are the ones doing peer to peer (P2P) sharing. Wouldn't do to complain to the WISP only to find the problem close to home.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
OH! Check with your family members first. Maybe they are the ones doing peer to peer (P2P) sharing. Wouldn't do to complain to the WISP only to find the problem close to home.
That maybe the problem..

As stated, I am shooting the signal over to my daughter's next door and they leave their computer on 27/7..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you are on their silver plan, Ken, you are doing just fine!

If you are on one of their premium plans, not so much.
Ja, like he said. Sure is expensive internet. Not sure how they can call their basic plan "Silver"! Maybe "Wood" or "Tin".

http://www.smartburst.com/

As I said, I switched providers when a new better, faster, cheaper one came to town. When they are the only game in town, they have you over a barrel. TBayTel charges less than SmartBurst's "Silver" and delivers SmartBurst's "Platinum".

http://www.tbaytel.net/residential/internet/connections/highspeed/wireless/rainyriver.shtml

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
That maybe the problem..

As stated, I am shooting the signal over to my daughter's next door and they leave their computer on 27/7..
Or call your ISP. If your bill is fifty something per month, you're getting what you're paying for. Even your latency isn't bad.

Also remember that no matter the size of your pipe, you can't download faster than another site can send.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I pay Comca$t 42.95 per month for 1 Mbps down, so you aren't getting bent over too badly. If I added digital cable I could get 8 Mbps plus basic digital cable (whatever that is) for $99 per month.

I just refuse to pay for subscription TV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts