My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie question here: I have a B/S Twin 40H777-0241-E1. Previous owner took the carburator apart, and now I'm putting it all back together. My question is about re-attaching the intake manifold to the carb itself. The manual shows what looks to be 2 gaskets and a "spacer". Not sure what the spacer is, or what it's for. When I ordered a Carb overhaul kit, the kit only included 1 metal intake gasket. Shouldn't I atleast have 1 paper gasket in there? This is my first carb rebuild, so I'm real nervous about doing it right.

Brian.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello mxrdriver, I ran in to this same problem when I overhauled the carb on my 2002 LTX1000 with the 445777 V-twin. Here is the reply I got from a small engine forum I haunt, and what I used to reassemble my carb:

"The swirl plate will mount on the throttle side, with the curve of the fins away from the carb and the fins on the bottom side.
The reason yours didn't have one is that briggs did not put them on there carbs that early dated engines. Not until recently did they relize that this plate will help fuel issues."

The swirl plate is the metal shim you see with the fins/eyebrows. You will need to purchase a second carb mounting gasket. It will go carb - gasket - shim- gasket - intake.

If you haven't already, when you order your second carb mounting gasket, it would be a good idea to replace the two square section O-rings that seal the intake to the cylinder heads. They tend to cause vacuum leaks when they get some age. I had to replace mine.
Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Oops, brain fart, I just re-read your post. You will need to order 2 carb mounting gaskets. I ran into the same problem with the same carb overhaul kit. PITA.

Seth K. Pyle

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a million Plylek. Your pictures will be invaluable when I reassemble the whole thing. When I took the assembly apart, I took pictures of every step so I wouldn't forget what went where. I did remember to purchase the intake gaskets and seal-o-rings for the manifold. The last person who took it apart used some kind of clear caulking as a gasket. Is that typical? Now all I am waiting on is 2 new intake push rods. The old ones were bent and had fallen off of their seats.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hello mxrdriver, you are quite welcome for the photos. There are more available when I get home, if you need them. I am not at my computer right now. I am a firm believer in using a digital camera for my projects and such. It is invaluable for reassembly. In fact, I had to get another computer with a larger hard drive for my workshop. I store all 10,000 some odd photos of my junk, and all my tech manuals, IPL's, etc... very handy.

I don't think the caulking is typical. But, I will tell you about a couple of problems I ran into. My engine is the larger 44 cubic inch V-twin, but the carb and intake are pretty much identical to yours. Take a look at the carb mounting pad on the intake. It should be thick cast plastic, with 4 captured nuts for the carb mounting studs. When I tightend the studs down on mine, the mounting pad warped. The nuts pulled the pad out of flat. I used a beam type 1/4" drive inch/pound torque wrench, to the specified torque in my service manual. I could put a .010" feeler gauge around the gasket. I couldn't tell if the carb sealed, so I took it all back apart. To make myself feel better, I put a thin skim of Hylomar fuel resistant gasket sealant on the carb mounting gasket that went against the intake. So far, so good.

Next, the intake mounting O-rings had gone bad on mine. So, in my ifinite wisdom, I used the gaskets that the IPL showed. Not O-rings, but gaskets. I then used the stock shoulder bolts. This ended up warping the heck out of the intake flanges and giving me a wicked vacuum leak.
Turns out, the IPL I had, and my service manual were out of date. My engine is a 2002, and the IPL and service manual were for 1999. I believe the intake used in that year was cast aluminum, with gaskets to mount to the cylinder head instead of O-rings. The carb mounting pad was cast aluminum, with threaded holes for the carb studs.

So, If I were you, I would do an internet search for the correct carb stud torque for an Intek V-twin with the plastic intake, and same for the intake mounting shoulder bolts. For the carb, if nothing else, slowly, evenly, gently tighten the studs until it looks like everything is seated and tight, watching for warp. For the intake, since the seals are O-rings, and the bolt shoulders bottom out agains the cylinder heads, these shouldn't be too terribly tight.

Good Luck!

Seth K. Pyle

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
For what it is worth, I just tripped over this B&S service bulletin covering that little metal shim with the eyebrows for our carburetors. I will try to post it.

Seth K. Pyle

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts