My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've been doing a video series with my RC Jeep. Just made what I think is my best video yet.
Check it out...and if you like it, hit subscribe. I've been doing about one a week.
Lee

·
5,207 Posts
Nice job on the video work Lee. Back in the day, mid 70's, I used to do a lot of wheeling in my 1:1 1973 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. I was one of the founding members of the Quad Cities 4 Wheel Drive Association and even designed a belt buckle that we had made up in brass. Really cool!! The R/C videos that show real crawling, i.e. slow and meticulous are great as opposed to just bashing them around. Kind of like running model railroad. Many of the videos show the trains running way too fast for scale speed. Your videos look like the real thing, crawling slowly over obstacles, just like a real one would. Nice Job. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill, here is some eye candy for you. It is from one of my favorite filmers

·
5,207 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Lee. That is a nicely done video and a really cool looking 'Cruiser. Looks like my first real one. Bill

·
Administrator
16,728 Posts
Liked the video (s) but for the uninitiated like myself, I would love to see some where in the video, something that would give me a sense of scale. Even if at the end where someone picked it up to put away, or the beginning where they took it off the back of a truck. I just don't have any idea how big or small they are. But thanks for doing this cause even though I didn't know, I still enjoyed it.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Liked the video (s) but for the uninitiated like myself, I would love to see some where in the video, something that would give me a sense of scale. Even if at the end where someone picked it up to put away, or the beginning where they took it off the back of a truck. I just don't have any idea how big or small they are. But thanks for doing this cause even though I didn't know, I still enjoyed it.
MikeC
I'm glad you enjoyed the video. And thanks for the insight as far as looking for a sense of scale.
The point of the video is of course to deceive your sense of scale. The tires on it in the video are 4.75" tall
Here are a couple pics....they are the best pictures I have on my phone with something to compare to.
Lee

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,728 Posts
Lee,
Thanks, the hand holding the tires really sets the scale for me.
The point of the video is of course to deceive your sense of scale.
That's exactly why I wanted something like that! When I started watching I knew in the back of my mind that the title said RC. But a minute in and I'm rechecking title, and yeah :sidelaugh if you want, but I kept replaying the side view as it crawled over the rock, just to make sure I didn't see a driver in it, Of course if you put a figurine in there I would have been screwed. So I guess you did indeed "deceive my sense of scale." Job well done.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just did a new video...this one is pretty Cool!

·
5,207 Posts
Lee! Absolutely amazing videos. You have become very adept at not only driving the R/C but in shooting and editing the videos. Very professional!! I enjoyed every minute of them. Nice job! Bill

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Bill, I'm starting to feel my way through it. There is a big learning curve.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My latest video Scout II crawling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
5,207 Posts
Lee! Surely enjoyed watching that entire video. Great job of capturing the action. Amazing how well that will negotiate the terrain. You know watching that brings to mind a pet peeve of mine of which you didn't do. So many time you see scale models, whether they be model trains, RC vehicles, or the like, that are not operated at scale speed. Can't tell you how many times I have seen clips on TV that show a scale model railroad and the trains are running so fast that if it were the real world they would fly off the tracks. My uncle owned a model railroad store locally until he retired and they had a huge layout at the store in addition to an unbelievable layout in the basement of his home. When we were much younger he would always explain to the kids about scale model speed. You have captured the essence of true rock crawling in the way you operate your RC vehicles. Nice job and looking forward to the next adventure. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bill, that is one of the things I strive for when making a video. I hate when they just blast and bounce over obstacles in videos, and it says something about their skill level as an operator. Slow and technical is how I like to crawl.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 27 Posts