My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 250 acres of sage and bitter brush to remove. Quite a bit of it is 2"+ diameter so brush hogging is out. Interested in your opinions on the the ratchet rake and debris rake(like from Titan attachments).

·
Super Moderator
13,207 Posts
What type machine are you using? Weight and HP?

250 acres is a lot of ground to clear with anything less than a couple hundred horse dozer or excavator.

Maybe a mulching attachment depending on the machine you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2011 NH Boomer 35. I will be clearing in stages. The brush has come out really easily the times I have removed it with just the bucket. Plan was to push it into piles and burn the following fall/winter. I have thought about the dozer idea but the local equipment place wants $1200 plus for 16 hours on the machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you use the mulcher are you guys getting much regrowth? The times I have brush hogged this stuff, it has regrown quite quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told by some people in my area that if you remove most of the root system then it is less likely to come back. That is why I was looking at the debris rake more since I can dig down into the roots.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been using a Ratchet Rake for clearing brush from a treeline and pulling out multiflower rose in one field. It does a good job and makes the chore much faster.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,599 Posts
I can honestly say I had never heard the term "Rachet Rake" before, so I googled it and watched some video. Looks like a handy attachment to a sturdy CUT and FEL. For What its Worth, my neighbor spent about 3 weeks running one of these on his 30 acre hill side and successfully machine handled stumps, brush piles, multiflower rose, various other briars, some mostly impenetrable by human, even my Brittany avoids them. I'm not sure this is a rentable item, it likely comes with an operator, and a tall hourly price tag. But, it worked:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If I were in your boat, I'd seriously consider going with an herbicide option. Hire a crop duster and it's taken care of. Or rent a pull behind sprayer from the co-op if it has sufficient height clearance.

I think if you just mow, without spraying, you are just going to make them angry and get more regrowth. Which you are then going to have to mow. If you keep mowing, sooner or later you'll get them killed off. But a brush hog/forestry mulcher/etc. is not going to be a do it once and be done option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts