My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some of you might like to see pics of my newly refurbished 1872 with a different paint job. Some may remember I had a little snow plowing incedent last winter and broke my rock shaft. Because of that and quite a few other little fixes I decided to go through her and finish what I didn't the 1st time around.
I bought this tractor a couple of years ago with a blown motor and installed a rebuilt M18 and used it through last winter. I've been collecting parts and now have a Haban blade, 450 snowblower and a cub cadet cab. I refurbished a 50c deck last summer for it.

refurbished deck, EZ-slide paint, gator blades, new bearings,belts,seals.

Now for this time around. This is a working tractor not a show unit, I wanted the rust gone and easy maint and touch up. I cleaned,primed and painted the frame, wheels, front axle, transaxle with brush on black rustoliem,

The front axle was completely rebuilt with new bushings and heim ends.

Broken rock shaft replaced. You don't ever want to do this job!

Wiring harness gone through and repaired. along with a thousand other small jobs.

I painted ALL the sheet metal with TSC Valspar rattle can Cub Cadet yellow. I did say this was a worker not a show buggy right? Anyway I never leave much of anything stock and my Cub is no different.

Instead of replacing the foot pads I covered the foot boards with "Herculiner" and ran it up the fender a little like a cyclops Cub.

Here she is completed today.

With the mowing deck installed right before I mowed that long grass it's posing in.

So nice to use my super again. Steering is 100% better and it's running and mowing well. Very impressed with the new Tru-Power rear tires and V61 fronts that I got from one of the sponsors here "Miller Tire".
Hope you enjoy the pics. I realize this paint job may make the purists cringe but I never much cared for the white rusty hood myself.

I hope to get the cab painted solid yellow to match and finish painting the snowblower and plow by winter.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You need to put some strips on it and call it the bumble bee.

Awesome job!

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Great looking cub! I think I just found the front tires I've been looking for those v61's look awesome! Do they perform as good as they look?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thanks for sharing and it looks great. The herculiner gives it an added touch. slkpk

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
Squatch
Great Pictures, a complete teardown and rebuild, exellent job! :fing32:
DMAC

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
:ditto:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words folks!

Pigsitter, I just drove the tractor for the 1st time with the new tires yesterday. 1st impression is good. I actually tried to make the rears spin and couldn't not even backing up the hill in wet grass. Same for the fronts. I couldn't make them push on the wet grass. I hope I can say the same once the snow is on the ground. I've read some good things about the V61s. Alot of JD guys seem to be real pleased with the same combo. The front tires on the 1872 are not a common size.18x8x8. More common on golf carts than tractors. So there is a real limited selection of tires. Most are turfs. I was real happy when I found out about these. With the heavy snow equipment this tractor can use the turfs just weren't getting it done. Way too much push out in the front.
Last winter I just about buried my tractor pulling the firewood cart out back down by the wood pile. It had thawed just enough to make the top of the ground real greazy. I made one heck of a mess. I hope the tru-powers help me avoid that this year.

·
MTF Member
425 Posts
The wire harness, hurculiner, and final shot, just right hundreds of hours later . :fing32:
Post pictures please, working mode, new livery. Thats calender material, your ability might scare some.
DMAC

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looks Great! I've been wanting to see how it came out and seems it was well worth the wait.

Really nice job

Bob

Push the button,Frank
MST3K

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Awesome two thumbs up:fing32::fing32:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the Kind words folks. It's just nice to have my power tool back in service. Dmac you wanted some working pics so I'll have to throw up some old ones for now. Just got her back in service Sunday evening. took the pics then mowed the grass but no pics.
Here is a couple of the reasons for that ball pintle hitch. with that I can move my log splitter, boat, m416 trailer and the little boat trailer. Still have the stock draw bar for the garden carts underneath.

Sure makes moving the boat on the hill and in tight spaces much easier than the truck.

The Haban blade is one HD piece of eqpt. Power angle of course.

We had several snows over 2' last winter. Along with several smaller ones. The Cub kept not only my drive open but the almost 1/2 mile long neighborhood road and a couple of neighbors drives.

In these pics I didn't even realize that only the left auger wasn't turning. I had a broken shear pin on the right side. Those are 26" rear tires. I keep the blower about an inch of the ground because of the gravel drive.

This is when I figured out I had a broken shear pin when the other one let go. They were both pretty corroded. Probably the originals. Sure glad I had spares.

This hill is no problem for the super with plow or blade. Up or down. This is where I broke my rock shaft with a minor little impact running full tilt into an immovable object buried in the snow.

And this is the reason I bought that nice cab when I found it. Night of the blizzard. 12 degrees, 40 mph winds, drifts 5'+. View from the drivers seat.

After the painting is done I want to fab a bracket from some steel and an old mule mount to mount this on the super. Poor mans "john bucket" It's made for a cub 1554 quick attach. I had to make some brackets for the old tractor as well. It would be nice to use the hydraulics on the Cub and get rid of those long levers.

Hope you like the pics. I'll try to get some new ones as the chances come up!

·
Registered
48 Posts
wow thats an angry looking machine...must make the other lawn tractors in the hood **** oil out...lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Squatch:

Nice job. You're going to love those V61s. I bought a set from Miller Tire myself for my 1200 CC's restoration.

The tractor steers like it has power steering. I've now mounted my JB Jr. on the front end, and though I can tell the weight is out there, the steering is still very good.

Take care of that monster. You should get many years of service out of it.

BTW, is that engine spash lube? Just wondering because of the steepness of your hills. My Kohler k301AQS is splash lube, and I wonder just how much of an incline I can work with.

Cheers!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Squatch:

Nice job. You're going to love those V61s. I bought a set from Miller Tire myself for my 1200 CC's restoration.

The tractor steers like it has power steering. I've now mounted my JB Jr. on the front end, and though I can tell the weight is out there, the steering is still very good.

Take care of that monster. You should get many years of service out of it.

BTW, is that engine spash lube? Just wondering because of the steepness of your hills. My Kohler k301AQS is splash lube, and I wonder just how much of an incline I can work with.

Cheers!
The Cub has a Kohler M18 flat head twin pressure lube with a filter. Over a year on it and no problems with the new motor on the hils. The old husky(MTD800) is a B+S 18 i/c twin splash lube. 13 years and no problems on the hills. Thanks for the info on the tires.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
what size are the tires on the rat rod?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts