My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 22251 last week, yes, check the label. Appears to basically be a 22261 with a different fuel tank, modified 10323 shroud, and no engine guard, though the holes are drilled for one.

Also picked up a commercial schoolbus that runs great, pushes pretty easy too.

Pictures follow...

Attachments

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to go back to the shop to do it, but yes I can. Haven't brought it home to my garage yet as there is no room in my garage! Got to sell a few pretty soon here.

I also noticed the '60 recoil decal.

·
Lawn-Boys Everywhere
1,291 Posts
Is the 22251 a runner or will it be put on one of your shelves?

I assume that the value would be in the $1500 range based on the ebay 22261s I've seen sell? What do you think. I might be very low.

Very nice and I'm glad that a person with a real collection has it. The specialness would be wasted on someone like me that uses all their mowers.

Thanks for posting pictures.

bruce....

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going for storage with this one. The guy we got it from told us he bought it from his friend, who was an engineer for Toro. Maybe that is why it has a strange model number?

I might have a 22261 on the way, fingers crossed. Then I'm almost satisfied with what I want for "keepers."

Hard to say what it is worth, since I have no way to see what IS supposed to be original and what is not. For example, the modified 10323 style shroud. Also I wonder if it is supposed to have an engine gaurd. It has low hours, that is for sure. The controls work smooth as butter on it, and there is a ton of tread left on the tires. Plus it came with two chutes, two bags, and mulch plate.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Very rare mower. Maybe an export model? I can only discern a different tank, and one label as different. What do you mean by modified 10323 shroud? The 10323 would have standoffs for a large plastic shroud and no bosses with nuts molded in for the recoil.

EDIT Never mind on the modification, I see it now, chopped off standoffs. Very odd.

I wonder if this is a very rare proto type? It is serial numbered for 1998, first year for the 22261. The fuel tank looks brand new, so maybe it is an incorrect replacement someone patched together, or a pre-production setup.

Serial number shows #102 I wouldnt let that bad boy go for any price personally.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow! So that is what you beat me out on. :fing20: Pretty cool conversation piece for your garage.

Well, I don't feel too bad now, considering what is coming for me on the UPS truck today. :fing32:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would bet that's an engineering mule. Especially given the fact that the guy you got it from received it from a toro engineer. I bought some stuff last year from a Toro employee and he had some pictures of some mowers that he had for sale that weren't quite right. I believe one was a 22243 but it had odd wheels and was also missing the engine guard. It sold on ebay that summer.

Very odd machine. You need to get all the 222xx models now to complete your collection...

Oh, btw, YOU WIN!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Now that is just awesome... the missing link in the evolution from the 22241 and the 22261! Looks to be in great shape, too!

Now you need to flank it with a 22241 and a 22261. You know... for research purposes! :)

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Hi Bob,
I ran 22251 through Toro and Lawnboy and neither show it as a model number? The rear discharge F engine commercial that I have is model 8453.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So do I just leave it as it is? Run it out of gas and park it is what I'm thinking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts