My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 5 speed manual transmissions in the current Ranger and F150s are made by Mazda. Both my 04 & 09 Rangers are 2.3 4 cylinder 5 speed manual and 2wd. Is it possible to remove the rear section of the transmission and bolt on a transfer case from a 4wd Ranger? I'm not converting my trucks to 4 wheel drive. I just want a low range so I have a creeper gear in 1st and reverse.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
the transmissions need to come apart partially to change the tailshaft. The other issue, is your truck wouldn't have the wiring for the 4wd modual or the wiring for the shift motor.. You would need to find the T-case from a 1989-1997 Ranger with a manual 1354 Tcase, which is kinda rare.. The answer is yes tho, it would work

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
the answer is yes , but theres a catch (1) you will need the wireing and switch for a auto shifting t case or a older manual shift tcase but then you would have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter handle , (2) like matt said you will need to get a parts 4wd tranny then tear down both trannys and switch the 4wd output shaft into your 2wd unit ,then (3) you will need to chase after the right rear drive shaft depending on what model your trucks are , like for instance if you have a reg cab short bed then you will need to find a 4wd reg cab short bed rear drive shaft , oh and by the way any t case from 1983-1997 should work if you get a older one with manual shifting action then you may have to mod the bracket that hold the shifting linkage but the tranny to tcase bolt patterns are the same , check out http://www.therangerstation.com/ theres alot info on rangers over there

1 - 3 of 3 Posts