My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I have two of them. The well water is way too hard for the plants.

Make sure you have screens on them to keep the mosquitoes out.

·
Janitor at Large
5,616 Posts
Ditto.......also have 2.......The mosquitoes seem to get in there anyways......They are handy to have, but get empty pretty quick when you have a dry spell.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
One storebought (gift) in front. Ground cover has since covered the block platform... In the back is a double home made. They ain't pretty but they hold about 45 gallons each!:D Lids are cut off for access and the down stream barrel has the lid reversed for filling via bungs.

I only use these for my container tomatoes and canna plants, the grass can go scratch in dry weather (low yield well)! This setup has saved my flower cookies a couple times in the past and this year the container tomatoes will be depending on it also I'm sure. (Global Warming of course!:D) I'll set up another double in front at the opposite end of the house when I can get more barrels.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I've got three barrels behind my tool shed, piped to a small pump in the greenhouse. Rain water seems to be better for the small plants. Besides, I don't have to carry it out there every day! ~~ grnspot110

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I've seen dual barrel setups where the two are connected via a piece of hose at the top or at the bottom. What are the pros and cons between those connection points?
If they connect so that the water will cascade, meaning that one will be full before it overflows to the other, it beats having to reach down to the bottom of both barrels. I suppose it all comes out the the same amount of reaching but if one person has short arms that person can take from the full one.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
The cross connect at the bottom has 3 draw backs, the aformentioned level problem when getting empty, the necessity to mechanically seal the hose connections against leaks and the accumulation of "stuff" which will come off your roof. If you have a filter system of some kind that might take care of that.

My storebought barrel has a spigot at the bottom. Even with the 1/8" punchplate screen over the fill hole I sometimes have to use a wire to free up the inside of the spigot. It's not the roof gravel but the organic stuff that collects down there.

My dual barrel is fed with the downspout elbow going through a fitted hole in the removable lid. The overflow from that goes out a regular sized drainpipe section fit into a cutout hole in the top side which is sealed with hot glue on both sides. It lands on the removable flipped over lid of the second barrel and fills it via the bung holes. At low flow the dripping connector drops straight down through the first bung. The second barrel has a "future project" overflow hole about 1" below the top of the cut line where the lid was removed.

Regarding "removeable lids" vs. regular "bung in lid" barrels, I sometimes make 35+ gallons of "compost tea" in the second barrel and shovelling in compost and dipping tea out I need full access to the top of the water surface. I guess plain barrels are totally good for just water collection as my front one does OK for that.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I use 6 275gal totes , that have spigots at the bottom and 6in openings at the top. The garden is 5 feet lower than the totes with solar pumping system.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
A few drops of mineral oil to create an "oily" surface and the mosquitos will not survive nor reproduce -- the oil will suffocate them.

Joe

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have 2 now and I'll be making a third this week. As mentioned above they drain quick in a dry spell. The right barrel is the catcher and drains to the overflow on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Anyone have a comment to this type of setup? Good or bad?
I think anything that gets the water into your pail/watering can/garden would work... providing it can handle the typical debris that will collect in the bottom of your particular setup. In my case i opt for full non-filtered flow and dip the water out with a bucket in the double setup. I get too much tree "stuff" from several varieties to make a pump practical... if you're out in the open or are filtering out the big stuff, I'd say go for the pump setup!

I fitted my watering can with a screen over the fill hole. I can either dip it directly into the barrel or pour water from a bucket and the screen keeps the sprinkler head from clogging up... (No, I won't post any pictures of he watering can... I'm just not proud of the ratty bungee cord or the ragged edges of he screen!):ROF

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I saw this at Lowe's the other day.

Rain Barrel

Isn't it amazing what kind of prices these things command? It's amazing to me that some would spend that kind of money for something that can be built, practically for free.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Check the prices out on some of these...:eek:mg: http://www.cleanairgardening.com/rainbarrels.html
Interesting aggregation of designs on a simple theme... I especially would appreciate the "Oxygenetics Hand Held Shower Head" in chrome finish about half way down the page. Certainly a necessary dress up item for my mundane gaudy blue plastic drums!:D

I'll tell ya, my Mom had one of them fancy ones sent as a house warming gift years ago... It is "dressy", looking like a real plastic fake wood reproduction of a simulated whiskey barrel. But for actual use, gimme my blue drums and crappy downspout connectors. I'm really just a plain guy afterall and don't want to wait for that dinky slow running drain spigot to fill my buckets.:D

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Don't get me wrong Harold, I have had rain barrels that look identical to yours in the past. There is nothing wrong with your setup at all. I really like it and would build another one like it any day.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts