My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as I got my gear shift back in position, I find myself with another problem. The battery was dead so I hooked up the charger. After about 10 mins on the charger, I tried to start it. It turned over a couple of times and then it made a surge sound, kind of a quick clunk. Now I get nothing. No click or anything. I am thinking I fried the starter because I forgot to disconnect the battery charger prior to starting. Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? So far I am doing more learning than riding this year.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
My GT-14 with loader died a similar death.....or so I thought.
Ever since I got it,,,, When starting...the starter wheezed and sounded
kinda scratchy. I had heard this before on another tractor. A starter
rebuild kit revived that other tractor. Finally two days ago...I needed my loader.
And all I got was a "clunk" from the solenoid. I used a
meter and found that I was getting power to the starter. The starter
must have died. So I took the starter off of a C-120 and the loader
tractor fired right up. While this might not be your specific problem...
Do you have another tractor that you can swap starters with? Most
starters are the same with some exceptions. Some have mounting
holes on top and some on bottom. You obviously have to have
another with the same mounting placement.

Good luck....let us know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have you checked to see if you're getting power at the positive lead on the starter when the ignition is set to start?

If so, have you checked to see if you're getting a good contact at the same location? It might not hurt to clean the positive terminal on the Starter.

Also, you could check to see if you are getting a good ground on the starter. Last time I worked on my old Craftsman II, I heard the clunk from the solenoid a couple of times and then nothing. I swapped out the solenoid and still nothing. Checked everything and it ended up being the ground, which meant I had to pull the entire front end apart and clean the frame of rust under where the engine mounted.

Worst case scenario, before replacing the starter go to a local Advance Auto or similar and see if they can test it. I could have sworn the starter on my old Craftsman was dead, but much to my surprise it wasn't.

Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
check the fuses, if theres no click it could be the solenoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts