My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All you owners of liquid cooled JD's, the newer ones, such as the X585,595, X700, 720, 728, 748, etc, and the X520, X540. How often do you do a thorough cleaning of the screens and radiator? And how badly do yours clog up during a routine day of mowing?

I'm not really having a problem, just curious about whether anyone else does. I watch my temp gauge while mowing, and also watch the side and rear screens for accumulation of the small "fluff" that gets trapped in them while mowing. If I see the gauge get even near the halfway mark, I stop and shut down so I can clean them. I alway backflush the radiator vanes with a hose after I'm done mowing.

But today, I saw something I've been missing, don't know why, because I have seen it in the manual, and it really made a difference. There is another removable screen behind the radiator, on the opposite side from the fan. You can easily see through it, but down at the lower edge, it can conceal dirt and fluff that gets through and packs into the vanes on the radiator, which decreases the amount of cooling it can do. It's also a part of the radiator that is difficult to spray water through from the engine side. I noticed a distinct difference in where the gauge stays once it is clean.

Do you owners of the X520 and X540 have any problems keeping the radiator clean? Yours being mounted above the engine, it seems like it would be difficult to see under it (between the radiator and engine). Is it?

If there was one thing I don't care for on my X748, and I'm not saying I don't, it would be the "backwards" design, with the radiator between me and the engine. I understand why it is done this way and agree with it ( keeps the hot air blowing away from the rider), but at full throttle most of what I hear is the fan sucking air through the radiator, and not the sweet thrum of a diesel at full tilt. Is the 2305 CUT the same way, or does it have the traditional radiator out front layout?

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
The 425/445/455 had the radiator out in front, but were equally as sensitive to clogging. The 2210/2305 has the radiator out in front. They seem to be less sensitive to clogging, but it seems to me that you should at least check the screens after each use. If there seems to be a lot of build up, then you might need to check it more frequently. :)

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
I watch the side screens while mowing. Also watch the temp gauge, just like on my cars. I blow out the screens EVERY time I mow. Sometimes paranoia does serve a good purpose.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
The X475 that we had never ran hot even with the screens packed. The only time that I ran it at full throttle was in high grass, or while pulling the Trac-Vac. Even then it did not run hot. Once a year, I remove the screens and blow the radiator out. When the sides become packed, I whip it away with my hands.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
The 425/445/455 had the radiator out in front, but were equally as sensitive to clogging. :)
Hi JDFANATIC ,

I assume that's a typo error ...

Hi KHodges ,

I usually take an adult beverage break every hour or so and when I shut
down the Tractor the wind will clean off the screens for me :fing32: ,,,
but when I'm done mowing I do use the air compressor to clean all areas
real good ...

Don't try and brush the debris off while the Tractor is running , it will only
get sucked in and pack everything much worse ...

Later,x595

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi KHodges ,

real good ...

Later,x595
I started out just throttling back to idle and wiping the stuff off whenever it covered the entire screen, but it did like you said. The screens act like a cheese grater and the stuff breaks and gets sucked through, now it is half the size and clogs even better.

There is one yard I am mowing, the front is almost two acres by itself, and I only mow it every six days right now, but at the rate it grows, I need to mow it every four. The grass is very thick, and I am mowing it at 4", but I'll cut about 4" off every time I mow. I have to stop at least five or six times on this piece of yard, actually remove the side screens, clean them and remove the screen directly behind the radiator, clean it and around the base of the radiator itself. I don't know what is 'special' about this grass, but it seems to have a lot more dust and small particles in it. This is the only place I mow where it clogs up this way. My lawn I can mow twice before even having to remove the screens, and it is about the same total size. Other lawns I am mowing don't have this much fine chaff in them either.

I think part of it might be that since I cut so much off each time, the dead clippings from previous mowings might be what are clogging the screens. The homeowners don't want me to vacuum the yard (I've offered to mow with the Power-Flow and collect the clippings) because they really can't afford the extra it would cost, nor do they want me to mow more often for the same reason. They have a beautiful lawn, but are having a medical crisis right now, which is why I am mowing for them (and very cheaply, I might add).

Anyway, all this brought to light the importance of keeping the "air conditioning system" on these liquid cooled engines clean.

If I stopped every hour for an 'adult beverage', it would take me a week to get anything done.:trink39:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I always blow it down with compressed air about half way and after mowing. Taking the screen out each time. The radiator itself seems to gather a lot of dust. I would also wipe away the loose stuff on the outside screens while mowing and never really noticed any difference in more debris in the screen. slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
Hi JDFANATIC ,

I assume that's a typo error ...

Hi KHodges ,

real good ...

Later,x595
I'm not sure what you mean?

·
Registered
2016 X750, 2020 X758
262 Posts
I always clean both the inner and outer screens before mowing. I check to see if there is any build up on the radiator and cooler, or between them. If there is anything it gets blown out.

I think the problem has been much less this year with the anti-blowout kit installed. It was always a real problem when the grass got thick and I had to cut it taller to keep from clumping. Used to be, the more I raised the deck, the more grass got stuck on the screens. This year it seems to just be dandelion seeds is all. Very little grass.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good point, Carlos, about the blowout along the front of the deck. I have noticed that on mine, mostly along the left front. Maybe I'll look into the kit.

JD Fanatic, what aren't you sure about? The adult beverage every hour, or removing the screens?

There are two side screens on the X595 and X748 and similar models, which can be removed for cleaning. They filter out the big debris that would otherwise get sucked into the radiator and oil cooler, which is rather difficult to get to because of its position under the instrument panel. There is an additional removable screen immediately behind the radiator, opposite the fan.

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
That's a good point, Carlos, about the blowout along the front of the deck. I have noticed that on mine, mostly along the left front. Maybe I'll look into the kit.

JD Fanatic, what aren't you sure about? The adult beverage every hour, or removing the screens?

There are two side screens on the X595 and X748 and similar models, which can be removed for cleaning. They filter out the big debris that would otherwise get sucked into the radiator and oil cooler, which is rather difficult to get to because of its position under the instrument panel. There is an additional removable screen immediately behind the radiator, opposite the fan.
Although the adult beverages seem to flow (within reason) in our neighborhood, the question had to do with this quote: "The 425/445/455 had the radiator out in front, but were equally as sensitive to clogging."

What was deemed a typo here?

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
The 425/445/455 had the radiator out in front, but were equally as sensitive to clogging. :)
JDFANATIC ,

Those 3 models have the radiator in the back of the motor by the steering
wheel , not out front ... I used to own a 1999 JD 445 ...

Later,x595

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
x595,

Unless Deere made a design change along the way, all those of that series that I've seen, including my 425, had the radiator in front. :( Perhaps it was just the 445/455 which I am less familiar with. :)

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
x595,

The more I think about this you might be right. The hood was hinged in the front so it makes sense the radiator was rearward. It's funny how quickly you forget a model when you get used to your current machine. :)

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
x595,

The more I think about this you might be right. The hood was hinged in the front so it makes sense the radiator was rearward. It's funny how quickly you forget a model when you get used to your current machine. :)
JDFANATIC , no harm/no foul ...

Ya those hoods had there own design , they would slide up and forward and
then lift up , then you could take the side curtains off ...

The battery was out front and on my 445 the tie down cross angle that was
attached by 2 - J bolts would work it's way off the battery ...

Remember if you had to change the fan belt you had to disconnect the drive
shaft ...

By the way happy birthday , I seen that thread somewhere else ... :drunkie:

Later,x595

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
That's a good point, Carlos, about the blowout along the front of the deck. I have noticed that on mine, mostly along the left front. Maybe I'll look into the kit..
KHodges , Carlos , I don't know what size deck you two have and/or if the
blowout kits are the same , but , I bought the kit for my 54" MMM and from
my experience there was no difference in performance , just another place
for grass to collect ... The kit for mine was around $60.00 ... Took it off after
the first time of mowing with it ...

Later,x595

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
JDFANATIC , no harm/no foul ...

Ya those hoods had there own design , they would slide up and forward and
then lift up , then you could take the side curtains off ...

The battery was out front and on my 445 the tie down cross angle that was
attached by 2 - J bolts would work it's way off the battery ...

Remember if you had to change the fan belt you had to disconnect the drive
shaft ...

By the way happy birthday , I seen that thread somewhere else ... :drunkie:

Later,x595
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2016 X750, 2020 X758
262 Posts
for grass to collect ... The kit for mine was around $60.00 ... Took it off after

Later,x595

54" deck here. Grass has been very lush here. Had to raise the deck a bit and last year I would have a lot of grass blowing out the front of the deck and up on the tractor and me. This year, I have been getting none of that.

As far as the deck collecting grass. It still does. But differently. The underside is staying cleaner actually. I seem to have better airflow. But it still builds up where both of those plates mount. Which would be on the leading side, between the arcs of the blades. And I get some on the trailing side at the chute exit. Minimal accumulation elsewhere. I use settings between 2 3/4" and 4" depending upon the grass.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Later,x595
Yep, been there, done that, except I mowed 4 or 5 times before I took it off.

I blow the tractor clean with air when I'm done. Then I pull the screen on the 748 and suck out whats left with a small shop vac which I store next to the tractor. Then I blow some air into the engine side of the radiator to blow out any dust. I do this after every use. I have never seen the temp. go up even when the outside grills are packed. I always shut off when cleaning those during mowing, usually once or twice. Fall is worse with the leaves.

I have a friend with a 2305 and he says he has a fair amount of the same problem with the front radiator. The small rigs are too close to the ground. My L3400 pulling a rear finish mower never has this problem

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine is also a 54" deck. I have the anti-blowout plates on mine, for the Power-Flow, one is on the left front, the other on the right rear. I haven't mowed without them, so I don't know how much or little they help.

I started paying close attention to my temp gauge after mowing one day last fall, and I just happened to look at it (still getting used to the tractor).It was just shy of the red zone, so I immediately idled back and lifted the hood, and removed the side screens (I had been keeping them wiped off). The inner screen over the radiator was almost completely clogged with very fine 'fuzz'. As soon as I pulled the inner screen out, the temp gauge started dropping. So now I keep a close eye on it, rarely does it get past halfway. I also do a thorough cleaning at the end of each mowing day with compressed air and then hose it down. I only use a power washer on the underside of the deck, and watch that I don't spray directly on the spindle covers to prevent driving water into the bearings.

When I was doing some routine maintenance on my GT235 last week, I took the opportunity to compare the 48C deck it has with the 54C. The larger deck has several more dips and 'squiggles' in the stamping that can trap grass and start a larger clog. There are also a fair number of open bolt holes on the 54. I've thought about plugging them with some JB Weld and smoothing them over to see if it does anything positive. I find the 54 takes much more attention to keep it clean underneath than the 48 does. Carlos, you mention yours gets a buildup at the rear of the chute opening; so does mine. I think it is because of the dip in the stamping that is designed to clear the belt on the Power Flow. I never have a collection on the 48 deck there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts