My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on replacing the coolant in my vehicle, but there is some build up in the radiator. I was wondering if there was a product that can eat it away.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
I have the same issue with my Cub 3205 radiator. I've looked online at a bunch of stuff and there are a bunch of ways to do it. Many can damage the materials the radiator are made of. I tried the Prestone flush but it hasn't done anything and has been in for months.

Simple Green has a product they claim will not harm the radiator but will dissolve the buildup.

I have some Thermo-Cure flush I picked up that I haven't used yet.

Reactions: Dock Baze

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
@Dock Baze I drained my 3205 radiator today and added 1qt of Thermocure to it. It has only been run for long enough to heat it up and appears to be started working. Prestone didn't even change the color of the water and this has already turned murky. Users say it will turn black as it dissolves the build up.

I'll keep ya updated as I watch it work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drained my 3205 radiator today and added 1qt of Thermocure to it. It has only been run for long enough to heat it up and appears to be started working. Prestone didn't even change the color of the water and this has already turned murky. Users say it will turn black as it dissolves the build up.

I'll keep ya updated as I watch it work.
Ok thanks. How long do you plan on running it.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
I put a few hours on it today pulling my Swisher brush hog around my fields. I'll update tomorrow after I can get a pic of the radiator.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
This has opened the passages up considerably. The scale is still around the tubes but the passages are much bigger. I haven't put many hours on it--maybe 1-2 yesterday so it seems pretty effective.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
As of tonight. 6hrs run time so far

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Rim

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
CLR is not safe for use on aluminum per the manufacturer's warnings. Problematic for my aluminum block.

"DO not use CLR on natural stone or marble, terrazzo, colored grout, painted or metallic glazed surfaces, plastic laminates, Formica, aluminum, steam irons, leaded crystal, refinished tubs or any damaged or cracked surface. CLR may etch older sinks, tubs and tiles. CLR is corrosive"

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
I drained this today and ran another radiator full of water thru it to flush it. It has run about 20hrs but still had a bit of scale in it. I only ran the Thermocure for the last 1/4 of the mowing season here.

I refilled with antifreeze for the winter but will drain it next summer and fill with the rest of the Thermocure and run it another summer. It's not where I want it but I feel it has knocked out 60% of the scale in the radiator. I wish I had put the Thermocure in at the beginning of the mowing season. I feel it would be completely clean if I had.

·
Super Moderator
9,969 Posts
You're welcome. Pretty dramatic when you look at them like below isn't it?

Automotive tire Vertebrate Wood Rim Font

Brown Head Amber Yellow Currency

1 - 16 of 16 Posts