My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first post. I have an R72 in almost new condition. It looks and runs great. My problem is it can't go up even a small grade. It shifts well and travels well over level ground, but slows to a stop when going uphill. I've checked the belt but not sure how much "play" it's supposed to have. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Tractordata.com says that has a gear driven transmission. That means either the belt is slipping (if the engine speed doesn't slow when going up hill) or the engine is not making enough power. Does it do this in all gears and reverse? What does the engine sound like when you put it in gear?

You probably need a new belt and/or tensioner.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
II bet the belt is worn, or an idler pulley is too loose. Most of these belt drive tractors have some kind of adjustment to the idler pulley to loosen or tighten the drive belt.

While you might need a new belt to fix the problem, you can tighten the existing belt a little at a time, and retesting your up hill performance each time you adjust it a little. If it improves with tightening the idler, then put "get a new belt" on your shopping list.

Let us know what you are able to find out to fix the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts