My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I will try a linear electric cylinder ( actuator ) to push on the small shaft where attach the chain under the seat ! I don’t know if the are enough powerful. 150kg ! 60$ on amazone + winch switch !! It will move the handle !

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I think I will try a linear electric cylinder ( actuator ) to push on the small shaft where attach the chain under the seat ! I don’t know if the are enough powerful. 150kg ! 60$ on amazone + winch switch !! It will move the handle !
I think the handle needs to float which is why there is a weak spring attached to that shaft. You probably should rig the actuator so that the handle still floats. Start a new thread with pics when you try it.

I wonder if one of the commercial versions of the Husqvarna Rider would have power lift that one could borrow ideas from.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys. Here is my 304 Stainless cutting edge. Its 3/16" thick, solid stainless steel. You can see it now has a more agressive angle, its approx 2" lower than before for better scraping and the blade tip is razor sharp! It will keep my driveway floor licking' clean now :)

I might even follow up my snow-blowing sessions with the snowblade to keep the driveway super clean.

Oh, and cool idea for the electric lift guys! I'm curious what you come up with!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It will keep my driveway floor licking' clean now :)
Have you had a chance to try it out? Does the added weight keep the plow down? I'm finding that my blade although heavier, has a tendency to chatter leaving washboard so I will need to either/or add more weight to it and/or adjust the springs. If I adjust the springs it will put more weight on the back wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking take a wire at the bottom of the shaft , where is attached the chain , go front whit a pulley srcewed in the vertical plate ( where it’s write 105db, and return back for attach the wire to an actuator 4’’ stroke , that his base attached at the jonction of the front / rear frame ! May be actuator of 150kg will be ok ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
With 2-3 inches of snow this blade makes quick work of my 5500sqft concrete driveway. Love it! But for anything past 3-4" the snowblower is king...
My walk behind snow thrower has a very weak tranny so if I set the cutting edge too low, the tranny just won't push it. I have to adjust the skid shoes so the cutting edge is raised but then it leaves too much behind. It also cannot remove packed snow that got driven over and froze.

With a really deep dump of snow, I'll probably use the snow thrower first and then polish it up with the blade. The problem with the blade is the wife really hates to see snow banks so I then have to follow up the blade with the snow thrower to eat and spread out what the blade pushed.

If I have to do snow thrower > blade > snow thrower, I may skip the first stage on all but the deepest snow and do blade > snow thrower. I can do a narrow pass down the driveway before I go to work so it doesn't get driven on and packed and then finish it off in the evening. Often the municipal road plow doesn't go down my road until after I left for work and so will plug the end of my driveway that the wife then drives over and it freezes. If I also plow my side of the public road at my driveway entrance, there will be less snow dumped back into my driveway.

The plow operator takes a wide turn to avoid my mailbox which is on the other side from my driveway.
I always need to remove that snow bank which is usually frozen by the time I get home plus the mailman drives over it and packs it down. I had to fight the snow thrower to clear it and invariably the wind was never in my favor. The chute on the snow thrower is too high to go under the mailbox so I also follow up with a shovel. The snow blade will make quick work of that.

I'm hoping that Husqvarna comes out with a snow thrower 3.0 that is dual or triple stage. 1.0 while dual stage had durability issues. 2.0 being single stage just will not throw the snow far enough to please the wife.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
If I adjust the springs it will put more weight on the back wheels.
I adjusted my springs so now the rear end is heavier to lift when the blade is down. It seems to have helped with the blade chatter and there is enough weight for traction. I was plowing very heavy wet snow that didn't want to roll off the blade and there was plenty of power and traction. The spring adjustment means less lift assist which really gives my right arm a workout now since it makes it heavier to lift. I'm sure glad I blocked off the clutch so I don't have to fight it.

I am considering lengthening the lift handle with PVC conduit. I have ape-like long arms so the extra forward reach won't be a problem. It should also stop me from accidentally grabbing the height adjuster lever that is so close. I could adjust the lifting chain so that the handle floating position would be a little more upright instead of horizontal. I really don't need to lift the blade so high. It would also make it easier to lift since the assist springs do more at the bottom and less at the top.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If anyone ever rigs an electric lift of some kind, I'd be all over it.

Make more than one and sell them on the forum! You'd sell every one of them!

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
@Marco_x went through with it.
I've been turning out the nuts on the helper springs little by little and testing the results. Right now I have them out as far as they will go so it is a lot heavier on the lift handle. I am considering getting a foot long 1 - 1/4" sched 80 PVC pipe to extend the handle.

I also moved the hairpin on the chain as far down as I can so it doesn't lift the blade so high.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I've been wondering just how much cold the hydros can tolerate before it balks. Well... I found out today. I woke up to -31C this morning with an inch of snow and decided to wait until noon for it to warm up. When I took out the trash at 11:00 AM, I put the cover over the Rider and stuck a 750W heater under it. An hour later I went back out to give it a go.

It had warmed to -21C outside but of course it got warmer than that under the cover. SInce heat rises, I doubt it had any effect on the hydros. It started fine but the hydros were none too happy about the cold. It just growled when I touched either pedal so I gently nudged it forward and back, first an inch at a time, then two inches, then three until it stopped growling. I slowly crept outside with it at half throttle to give it some time to warm up. It then plowed the driveway without any more growling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you changed the transmission fluid yet or are you still running OEM?
I have Castrol Power 1 4T 10W-50 in mine and haven't had any noise from the hydros when starting up below -25 in an unheated garage.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I've been turning out the nuts on the helper springs little by little and testing the results. Right now I have them out as far as they will go so it is a lot heavier on the lift handle.
This year I removed the springs completely which puts the full weight on the cutting edge and more weight on the rear wheels but it is even heavier on the lift handle.

I am considering getting a foot long 1 - 1/4" sched 80 PVC pipe to extend the handle.
Today I worked on the lift handle extension. First I removed the existing handle grip, then I heated up the PVC and formed it over two 3/4" rods to match the oval on the lift handle. Tomorrow I will make an extension for the push button release.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Tomorrow I will make an extension for the push button release.
Finished it up today but it was getting dark and I didn't have my phone with me to take pics. I am very pleased with how much easier it is to lift the plow. Also, it puts that hand grip further away from the height lever that I would sometimes grab by mistake.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I am considering getting a foot long 1 - 1/4" sched 80 PVC pipe to extend the handle.
My apologies to @Dan Bollinger in not giving him credit for the original idea. BTW, Dan posted a pick in the following thread:

He also posted instructions in post:

Dan extended his lever by 5 inches. Mine is extended almost 7 inches. The extra weight added to the handle overpowers the handle's counter-spring and so it hovers close to the reverse pedal. I might have to shorten it a tad or add a helper spring to the existing counter-spring.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts