My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More on changing angles, when I watched a YouTube video of the Nordic plow I mentioned in my OP, I saw the operator change angles on the fly but not sure how it is done.

I also saw another video where the snow blade had handlebars but they were really short so were down by your feet as opposed to being in your face. The operator never changed angles in the video but probably he could do it with his feet or simply by steering while dragging the blade in reverse.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've also seen a weight that slips over the rear bumper for some models...
I don't understand why Husqvarna makes it so hard to find parts and accessories on their site. The Canadian and US sites are particularly sparse. More can be found on various overseas sites.

Here is a picture of the rear weight slipped over the existing bumper but even on the SLE site I cannot find a listing for it to get a part number. Basically we need take a screen shot to the dealer and argue whether or not it exists. {sigh}

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My R322Ts rear bumper look like that, heavy cast iron thing, it came stock.
The R322TX has a different bumper ?
The rear bumper on the R322TX is not that massive. It is cast as one piece with the entire rear frame. Is your's removable? The IPL for the R322T shows only the same slim bumper that my R322TX has so assumed that to be an add-on weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
The rear bumper on the R322TX is not that massive. It is cast as one piece with the entire rear frame. Is your's removable? The IPL for the R322T shows only the same slim bumper that my R322TX has so assumed that to be an add-on weight.
Yes the counter weight bumper is removable.
The image from the IPL for the R322T you posted is for 2018 R322T.
My R322Ts were manufactured in 2014, and IPL publications prior to 2018 shows a counter weight
544 03 96-02
Doing a quick search on google I did find one supplier in Australia
https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/genuine-husqvarna-counter-weight-awd-models-544-03-96-01.html

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes the counter weight bumper is removable.
The image from the IPL for the R322T you posted is for 2018 R322T.
My R322Ts were manufactured in 2014, and IPL publications prior to 2018 shows a counter weight
544 03 96-02
Some parts retailers show that part number to be superseded by 953 53 49-01.

Going by that 2018 IPL I would guess the 2018 R322T and my R322TX did not come with it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Some parts retailers show that part number to be superseded by 953 53 49-01.

Going by that 2018 IPL I would guess the 2018 R322T and my R322TX did not come with it.
I agree, but hopefully you'll be able to find a rear counter weight,
although it shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up even if
Husqvarna has discontinued a counter weight option.

Some other changes I noticed from my older R322T compared to newer R322T,
the operator seat is much different and engine hp rating from 22 to 20.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
...it shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up even if
Husqvarna has discontinued a counter weight option...
True. One criteria is that I don't want it sticking too far out the back. I'd want it to be easy to put on and take off as I don't want the extra weight leaving ruts on soft ground. That bumper hugging design achieves those objectives. I wouldn't mind if it were taller to keep snow away from the plastic cover and out of the ventilation holes if I were to back into a snow bank.

The company I drive for collects and transports metal for recycling so I might pull some truck leaf spring parts out of the scrap pile and conjure something up. They look to have close to the same curve as the bumper. Did I mention I'm frugal?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a good contact at Husqvarna technical now who even contacts Sweden on my behalf when I was asking about the factory cab thing.

Perhaps I'll contact him to see if there is North American availability on the counterweight. I think for the few extra bucks an OEM part would be much nicer as it would come painted and look better than rigging something up IMO.

I'll keep you posted...

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@Fredartic in another thread wrote that his dealer is selling him one for his new R322TX so either it is NOS or it is not really discontinued as that link states. I am not so vain and more about function over form especially when the cost difference strokes my frugality.

Speaking of frugality and function over form, I got the metal I will need to adapt the yellow Swisher plow. Add another $53 to the tally. While I won't paint the entire blade, if I find the yellow backside too blinding, I might paint just the backside. Considering the price of paint does not depend on the colour, I'd like to find the same colour grey that the metal parts are but so far nobody offered advice on what stock rattlcan colour might be close. Supposedly one can order online or through a Husqvara dealer, the matching paint. I suppose black would do as well on the blade but not for touching up.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don't understand why Husqvarna would eliminate the rear bumper counter weight.
It's certainly helpful to have that counterweight when plowing snow, but a counter weight is useful when mowing
on hills too.
I'm glad I have the rear bumper counter weight on some of the hills I mow.

Here's an old thread that I think supports the importance of
the R322T rear bumper counter weight on a hill, in this situation the counter weight should have been heavier.

Read post #37 of this thread link.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...na-r322t-awd-mower-any-4.html?highlight=R322t

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Today I took the rider and the snow blade over to my neighbor and together we fab'd up the adapter. The 3-sided frame is made with 1" square rod with a 13/16th round rod on the 4th side. The round rod sits in the short slots at the back. We welded short stubs of 5/8th round rod to the square stock and they slide into the two long slots.

We also fab'd up a pivoting arm with a roller to pull the angle release lever. The mower's height adjuster releases the angle pin.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
We needed to have it fully assembled and mounted in place on the rider to fabricate the angle release so after we wrapped up I had to try the blade pushing my leaf pile. It worked very well.

I will need to take it all apart to chip off the welding slag, grind off the rough spots, and wire wheel off the mill scale to prep it for paint. I'll take some pics and post them after it is all painted. I'm tempted to remove the yellow painted curved metal blade from the frame to paint the back side of it black so it doesn't glare from the headlight.

I will need to wait for snow before I can dial in the attack angle. This plow has 4 positions the attack angle can be set at. 1 is laid back while 4 is forward in a steeper angle. I have it on 2 now and it did not dive into the mud when pushing the leaf pile.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There was a planned power outage today and I didn't want to run the generator to power my angle grinder so I started chipping off slag and touching up welds with hand files. I was going to start painting some areas but I could not find any black paint. The wife must have used what I had.

I did a lot of leaf cleanup with the sweeper today so my compost dump area needed to be pushed together. Again, the blade made quick work of it. I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As promised, I uploaded some pics to Google Photo at the following link.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkeiMFwzB7bhNVT26

The pics should be self-explanatory for the most part but I did post a few comments. While most folks probably would not be adapting a Swisher snow blade to an R322TX, what might be f interest to some is the PTO clutch block-out plate. It is made from notched out 1" angle iron of which a portion goes into a long slot. I planned to hold it in place with two bolts but I didn't have the right size tap to cut threads in the larger hole. If there is interest, I can remove it to take pictures of it at different angles to show how it is notched out. I probably should paint it a bright colour so it stands out as a reminder to remove it.

When lifting the blade with the PTO blocked out, you don't encounter the additional resistance of the clutch spring so lifting the blade is much easier. Also, I see no point in disengaging/engaging the PTO every time you raise/lower the blade.

Lastly I posted a couple of pics of the blade pushing my leaf pile. One cannot tell from the pic how dense the pile really is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lligetfa...one word, WOW! Very good job. Looks better than OEM! Looks like you even rigged the blade height adjustment to unlock and lock your angle tilt?

I just got my blade hooked up last weekend and was able to try it while my machine was in and out of the shop (**** thing starts like crap and smokes like a chimney). The Kova blade worked ok. The angle adjustment is pretty slick how you can use the blade height control to lock and unlock the tilt angle.

The handlebar location for the actual adjustment of the angle is a bit odd...to far forward if you use it lots. Also, the blade cutting edge is welded, not bolt-on/replaceable like your looks like. And the blade ground pressure was not enough to do more than skim the top. I had to use my knee on the steering wheel to keep it driving straight while applying forward pressure on the angle adjust handlebar so it would actually clean scrape the concrete.

I'm gonna do some cutting and welding to mine as well. I'm going to make an adjustable handlebar that sits much closer to the rider. If everything goes good I might change the handlebar adjustment to something with a u-joint and have a rotary adjustment for the blade as I hope on running a cab...and that big lever running into the cab would not work. I also want to tilt the blade down a bit so it does more scraping that it does now without having to adjust the preload weight on the back (or I'd have to adjust the spring pressure each time I put the blade on what is a PITA IMO)

I hope my work turns out half as good as yours!

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looks like you even rigged the blade height adjustment to unlock and lock your angle tilt?
That is correct. I am hoping that I will be able to change the angle without leaving the seat just by dragging the blade while turning.

I was concerned whether the blade will be heavy enough but it seems to be. I opted to use solid rod rather than hollow tubing for the adapter frame. I will know better once I have snow. I plan to bolt a pair of pegs on the backside of the blade where I can hang barbell weights if I have to. The top edge of the blade has a row of holes where a rubber flap can be bolted on. If I decide to do that, that will add weight as well. I can use thicker flat stock to hold the rubber strip if I want more weight. It was important to me for the snow blade to weigh as much or more than the mower deck so that the springs don't need to be readjusted every time I swap them.

Yes, this blade has a bolt-on cutting edge.

This blade has an adjustable attack angle so I can make it bite more if need be.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks LLigetfa!

So...I was doing some more pondering tonight in the garage. Thing I don't get, even if I play with the tension spring...the blade is always bouncing back up...almost more than its staying on the ground. If there was some way to just have it "drop" and just use the weight of the blade, without the tension spring trying to lift it back up again???

I get why it wants to do that for the mower deck...but for the blade when I lower it, I just want it to lower to the ground under its own weight(of the blade I mean). Any idea how to do this?

Also...I tried turning the spring adjustment bolt in both directions and it does not seem to make much difference... What way is supposed to increase ground pressure? Turning the nut in, or out? (for the tension adjustment weight spring thingy lol)

Let me know what you end up doing with yours.

I might resort to the old dumbbell weight trick as well. Weld a round bar on the left and right side of the blade and load a few barbell/dumbbell weights on. But still, the tension spring will be trying to lift it up. Weird setup for attachments like this I say...curious to see how it's going to work with the blower.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts