My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is video of me trying to start my R322TX (brand new).

Part 1...

Part 2 (I got it 3ft in reverse before it died...total of 7 or 8 tries before it would stay running each time pouring blue/white smoke out the back. Garage was fully smoked out when I did finally get it out of the bay)

And finally once she IS running, here is what it looks like when you shut it off and turn it on. A nice puff of white/blue smoke on turning it off, and turning it on. Stinky machine. Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hum... This is definetly not suppose to do it. I will show your videos to my dealer when I will go to take my Rider next week. I'll see what he think about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you resolve the problem? To start the Rider, the attachment lever must be up, the parking brake engaged and the speed level in the Middle. We supposed to wait few minutes before increase the speed... I don't know if it can help. Update please.

·
Super Moderator
25,872 Posts
Could be just that the oil rings haven't "set" yet and a little oil is getting by them. However I would have dealer take a look at it for the fact that it isn't staying running. That shouldn't happen on a new machine and needs to be checked.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's off to the small engine repair shop, the authorized warranty place for the Briggs engine. Husqvarna dealer is awesome, but they would have to tear into the engine now...and that is supposed to be done by the local briggs dealer.

When I went to pick it up from the Husqvarna dealer...it was pretty hard to even get it out of their shop as it kept stalling and smoked the shop out. This engine, IMO, is a piece of crap.

I get the ring seating thing...it has 3 hours on it now. How long does that take to seat the rings? I thought the engines (like most modern engines) come pre-broken in (or at least somewhat). I mean I could see in 1949 this would be par for the course but in the 2019? This thing would never pass the emissions test it has decals on it for right now. I actually despise driving the machine now as it can't be good for my health how much it smokes just to get it started...*cough cough*

Seriously going to ask them if they can drop a honda in place of it. I'll pay for it, and they can keep their Briggs. I wonder if there is a drop in Honda that would fit so I can get on with my life. Been almost 2 months since I ordered this and I've only been able to use it a handful of times. Its a shame because the Rider Design is so slick...just the POS engine.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I get the ring seating thing...it has 3 hours on it now. How long does that take to seat the rings?
My rider has more than 25 hours on it now and I had to top up the oil twice in the last 10 hours. At this point it's using more oil than my old Craftsman.

I didn't ask the dealer what oil he put in at the 8 hour service interval but if it is synthetic, it could prolong the break-in period. The oil he gave me for the 50 hour interval is a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I found a shop manual on manualslib.Com for another model of the Ryder. It contains few avenues to explore what can be the problems with blue smoke. The fuel can be the cause if it's too old or not Super grade. The air filter can be clogged. See that ressource. Otherwise, call your dealer and send him your videos. Don't stay alone with the problem; you pay for a machine that is supposed to work properly and yours doesn't.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Hopefully tomorrow I hear something from the Briggs shop.

My brother bought a $2000 brand new gokart/jeep thing from Princess Auto last night. Its a Chinese as a gong show...and IT runs better and cleaner than my $6500 Husqvarna. It also had zero hours on it when he got it.

I told myself when I bought it that the only thing I hated on this thing was the B&S motor, and murphys law lol.

Lligtefa, your statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Not to call Crafstman crappy, but you're talking a tractor that when new was probably 1/3 the price...and the new machine is already using more oil than it. That and technically the "electronic engine controlled" unit with "compliant emissions" is obviously not doing that if its using more oil than the old Craftsman!

Kohler, Honda, lots of other choices...but B&S :-( poopoo engine IMO.

Soon I hope to have a better mood about this lol. Good thing I don't need to use this thing...but snow is a coming!

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
I watched your videos and may be able to shine a slightly different light on the cause.

Last week I tried to start the Kohler K engine in my tractor which normally fires on the first revolution. It was very hesitant then smoked blue / white just like your video. It's 40 yrs old and I thought Oh well, looks like this winter it finally gets a long overdue rebuild.

So I finished grading the driveway with it running rough and smoking........

Then I fired up the Honda riding mower...... again, blue / white smoke, just like your video, from an engine that has never smoked a day in it's life.

Hmmm.....I siphoned out the fuel tank, then ran the smoking engine till it ran dry.

Refilled with fresh gas, waited for the electric fuel pump to stop clicking, and the engine fired right up, smoke free.

Don't know what was in that previous can of gas I had bought, maybe part diesel, who knows.:hide:

Point is, maybe the shop will try a known source of good gas before they start tearing the engine apart. It happens once in awhile....maybe you'll get lucky.:fing02:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Larry. Thanks for your message. I have not heard anything from the shop with the R322TX, but they are a good shop that has been around for years and specializes in small engines.

Your comments are interesting. I love simple solutions...and I mean it would kinda make sense. Its fuel that came with the machine...who knows how long it was in there. I will suggest that for sure.

Thank you and I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
There is no electricity where I store my Rider so I have to drag an extension cord over to it when I need it. I had intentions to trench in a conduit but it didn't happen. They say the road to He11 is paved in good intentions.

We had -10C temps overnight but I did not try starting the Rider this morning. I think I might slip a baseboard heater under it if there is enough ground clearance for one. Might even consider getting a cover for it to trap some of the heat. Does Husqvarna make a fitted cover? If they do make one I'll have to price it out.

Long term I might build a small insulated and heated shed for it. It would also be nice to have a warm place to work on it. Venting the exhaust though might be a challenge with how the muffler and engine shroud work.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I use an atv cover...
I was looking at a $20 ATV cover at Menards today but the wife was giving me the stink-eye. While I have a place to store it in out of the elements, there will be times I may move it outside and it would be nice to have a cover on it to keep sun, rain, bird poop, and tree sap off of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shout out to Larry LGT 165. He hit the nail on the head.

Got my R322TX back from the B&S service center. They figured it was possibly 2 stroke fuel that was put into my machine when it was PDI'd...or it was old or just very bad fuel.

Now it idles just fine from cold, no more stalling and virtually no smoke!

So that's good...I like a simple fix...but I hope running that crap fuel from the beginning of its life is not going to hurt the longevity of the machine?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Don't know what was in that previous can of gas I had bought, maybe part diesel, who knows...
I recall one time a local gas station accidentally got diesel dropped into their tank and dozens of customers had poorly running vehicles after that. There is no long term damage from a one time event having a little diesel in a gas engine, unlike the other way around with gas in a diesel engine.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. Mine is having a bit of problem with cold starts where it sputters and dies. It takes about 4 tries before it will stay running on idle but if the throttle is touched, it dies again. It needs to rough idle for a while and very carefully increase the throttle to about half and leave it there for a few minutes before going full throttle. I have an email in to my dealer about it.

My small engine tach died on me long ago and I haven't gotten around to buying a replacement. I've since just tuned the carb by ear and to my ear the idle RPM is too low. It seems that if I move the throttle away from turtle, then the automatic choke won't engage so maybe I should adjust the idle setscrew but i don't know how the automatic choke logic works.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Shout out to Larry LGT 165. He hit the nail on the head.

Got my R322TX back from the B&S service center. They figured it was possibly 2 stroke fuel that was put into my machine when it was PDI'd...or it was old or just very bad fuel.

Now it idles just fine from cold, no more stalling and virtually no smoke!

So that's good. I like a simple fix...but I hope running that crap fuel from the beginning of its life is not going to hurt the longevity of the machine?
Once in a while you gotta get lucky..... it's somewhere in the cards. :fing02::fing02:

Had it not just happened to 2 of my machines, and they ran just like your video, I probably would have thought it was something more serious like everyone else.

I had filled my gas cans at a cheapo discount gas station and I suspect there was probably some diesel in the bottom of the tanker that brought them their last load. Both the Honda and the Kohler K engines have run fine since. The 44 yr old Kohler K was pushing snow for hours today.

I'm hoping the shop changed the oil, if not you should. Unburned fuel tends to seep past the rings and into the crankcase diluting your oil.

We all like happy endings.....:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer showed me that I have to start the Rider in the middle speed then wait around 3-4 minutes before putting the full speed and engage to forward... I don't know if it can help the way you start yours...

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My dealer showed me that I have to start the Rider in the middle speed then wait around 3-4 minutes before putting the full speed and engage to forward... I don't know if it can help the way you start yours...
I recall you mentioning that so I did try it. When very cold, it won't engage the choke at half throttle so just cranks and cranks. I checked the manual and it makes no mention of throttle position for starting. It just says to run it at half throttle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine starts now right at idle (lowest position) where it starts without a hiccup. I'm spoiling it in a heated garage though so I can't comment on starting it if it were sitting outside.

I personally like to idle my machines for 2-3 minutes BEFORE going into the throttle. Let oil pressure build and warms the engine. Then I will operate it at 1/2-3/4 throttle for another few minutes before finally going WOT.

Think. When you start your car...or any other car from the last 50 years, you don't have to sit with your foot on the pedal at 1/2 throttle for 3-4 minutes before you use it. Fredartic I would call your dealer out on that or get Husqvarna to send you in writing that is the procedure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts