My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thanku:so i was thinking of getting some r-4 tires for my garden tractor since snow season is coming up. anyone have an idea on how they work with plowing or snowblower? because its either AG's or R-4 industials. both run about 100 a piece which isnt bad since turfs are 50 a piece and well i have a passion of hating turf tires lol.:thanku:

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
pics would help. generally any tire will be good for snow. all you need is the right size, weights, and tire chains

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i got 23x9.5 on 12 inch rims, if i dont sell the bolens in a couple weeks i might get it ready for snowblowing. ill try and add pics. 003.jpg

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
o and BTW hows my paint job? i had to ditch the side decals because there was so much surface rust i just fired up the drill and used the rapid stip wheel on it all minus the plastic part on top the hood and front decal by the lights.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
:thanku:so i was thinking of getting some r-4 tires for my garden tractor since snow season is coming up. anyone have an idea on how they work with plowing or snowblower? because its either AG's or R-4 industials. both run about 100 a piece which isnt bad since turfs are 50 a piece and well i have a passion of hating turf tires lol.:thanku:
Get the Ags, R4's are worthless, turfs would be better that R4's anyday.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mind if i ask why r-4's are worthless? they seem pretty good and newholland has them on alot of the boomer tractors by me.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
if r-4s are the skid steer style tire im thinking of those work well. if you have chains and wheel weights, you will do fine

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow there nice and wide. i jsut wish the bolens didnt have 9.5 inch wide tires, its an odd size apparently. but i saw kubuta rims with r-4's on em for 100 bucks on craigslist. i might buy em since the bolt pattern is right. also what brand tractor is that? the paintjob on it is nice. and hugh r-4's are like skid steer tires. and since im snowblowing im gonna be a rebel and try without chains since i put coal ash on my driveway anyway. and if i need chains and cant blow without them, ill use the walk behind 5 horse troybilt for a storm.

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
mind if i ask why r-4's are worthless? they seem pretty good and newholland has them on alot of the boomer tractors by me.
They are a construction tire, ride extremely rough, do not clean worth a hoot in mud (clay), or the snow. They are good on dry construction sites, but that is all. Turfs are super, just like a snow tire, and AG's are good too. But they seem to be putting them on everything, even though they are built for only one purpose. Turfs are a better multi use tire, especially if you do not want to scar your lawn. If not cutting grass at all, go with AG's, yo will not regret it.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i might consider a meatier turf kind of hybrid such as a carlisle alltrail or something similar. can you recommend a good, meaty turf tire?

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
carlisle all trail is a good snow tire too

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
the all trails are 4ply and the field trax are 2 just so you know

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm now that might affect me in this way, i plan to have my friend weld me a weight box out of 1 inch rebar and sheet metal. and i plan to use bags of quickrete sand as weight and have about 400 pounds or so since the shaft driven snowblower i use is like 100 pounds or more. or dont i need a ton of weight when snowblowing?

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
hmm now that might affect me in this way, i plan to have my friend weld me a weight box out of 1 inch rebar and sheet metal. and i plan to use bags of quickrete sand as weight and have about 400 pounds or so since the shaft driven snowblower i use is like 100 pounds or more. or dont i need a ton of weight when snowblowing?

You only need enough to maintain traction. You can add or take away as needed. Something you will have to play with during the winter, but you will not need as much as you may thing.

Your weight should also be factored in here.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think ill start out with 200 or 250 and see how it goes, if i dont have enough sand i always have bricks and alot of em =)

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
i think ill start out with 200 or 250 and see how it goes, if i dont have enough sand i always have bricks and alot of em =)

Our Farm King weighs 422+ pounds, and we have 2 40 pound weights on the tractor.

More of a balance thing that anything else.

After making an adjustment on the blower, we took one weight off, worked well with 4 (160 pounds.) The last winter with the 1523.

:)

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my bolens garden tractor. that weighs in at 670 pounds not including the hydor fuild gas oil ect ect. are you telling me that tractor weighs 422 pounds or the blower on it? now that a stupid question so im assuming the blower on the back.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts