My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1450 and I am having trouble with the deck drive belt. It keeps flipping over upside down for some reason. I bought it from a guy who really didn't believe in maintenance of any kind so the adjustment in the front was missing and was held tight with a piece of wire. The deck was beat and so after rebuilding the deck and making a new adjustment gizmo I am having trouble with the belt. It seems the mule drive is not quite right. I assume the idlers are supposed to be bent sideways but how much? I think they have been tampered with. Everything moves free and it looks to be running strait with the deck pulley but something is wrong. It will flip the belt completely upside down in a split second. Is there any way to check the mule drive idlers to set them at the proper angle? It is a 44" deck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If i remember correctly, the 1450 mule drive uses the 1/2 belt and straight pulleys on the mule...if the pulleys are at an angle, sounds like you might have the 5/8 pulley mule drive from a 682.......i'm thinking you should have a 44A deck....check to see that its not a 44C deck.....sounds like you might be mixing and matching belts/pulleys/decks...

Northstar

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the deck is original, the drive pulley for the deck is off center of the deck to the left side. If the mule pulleys are straight the belt would be wearing on the side. That is why I assume they (the idlers) should be angled. Anyone know if this is correct?

·
Registered
160 Posts
C Holmes:

Still doing this from memory...so bear with me....Yes, the mule drive pulleys will run at a slight angle...not straight as i mentioned in the above post....but if its a 44" deck, you gotta figure out which one you have....(44a or 44c)....The 44a deck use's a 1/2 belt, with a 1/2 inch drive pulley on the deck....The 44C use's a 5/8 inch belt, with a 5/8 inch drive pulley on the deck....I'm just guessing you might have a 44c with a 1/2 belt...or a 44a with a 5/8 inch belt. Most 1450's have the 44a deck, but doesn't mean someone might have switched it out (they look almost identical)

Check the two front hangers on the deck....most 44c decks have 3 holes for the 2 hangers....most 44a decks have only 2 holes for the front deck hangers. This is all speculation since i can't see it....As for the angle of the mule pulleys...i've always considered it a "slight angle" someone else might see it as a "severe angle"

Below is a online deck manual (pdf)

northstar

http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/QA 38-44-50 A Series Deck Operators Manual.pdf

·
Registered
443 Posts
Auto type belts will not work. The CC belt shape is different than the auto belt. The correct size belt for the PTO is 3/8" for a cub cadet. If you compare a CC belt with a new auto belt the difference is quite apparent..

The correct belt is getting hard to find. That's why I parked my older IH CC's and bought a new 2542..

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Cub Cadet 1450 that was my Mothers. It was built in the late 1970's. I had to replace the PTO drive belt about 20 years ago and checked a Gates Belt catalog. Turned out it was a nonstandard length available only from the manufacturer. I replaced the idler wheels with a slightly large size and was able to use a standard belt (3VX800). The belt that turns the mower blades was a standard belt according to the catalog I had.

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are two belt lengths for a 1450, a CC dealer can get you the right one but you need your serial number. I got the wrong one for my 1450 and, had trouble till I got the correct belt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My deck is a 44" A deck. Pulley's are 1/2" I would say. I just got this tractor awhile ago and the previous owner didn't believe in spending money at all. The PTO is welded solid. The idler ratchet and V Tension adj. rod were both gone so I made them but would like to get original if anyone has any spares. The belt was completely worn out so I actually bought a very cheap belt from Home Hardware just to see if I could get it to mow instead of sacrificing an expensive belt. I fiddled with the adjustments and after awhile it seemed to work quite well. It does however leave a little bit of unmowed grass if the grass is too deep. I will atribute that to poor blades.(they actually had the back of the blades sharpened) All in all it is a fine machine, starts every time and works well. I do need a few things so if anyone has any of this stuff let me know. I need the deck stuff aforementioned as well as an upper and lower grill,grille badge, muffler box or plans for making one. Also the knob assembly to limit hydro control.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The belt is the real problem. I have had luck with stens deck pto belts. I was told to stay away from anything but cub cadet belts. But did not listen. I mow on average 3 to 4 hours per week and run a 1650 for better than 2 years without a problem. Belt application is the key word! A hardware belt is not built to take the stress of the 90º bend on the mule drive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know this is an old post but just an update. I have the 1450 mowing perfectly now. It is a great machine. I have numerous other tractors including a Kubota Diesel that my wife uses. I always jump on the Cub. I still have the cheap $8.00 Home Hardware belt on it and I have mowed acres and acres with it. I have been waiting for it to fail but it does not seem to want to. I am still looking for some small parts if anyone has anything. I would like to have the knob to set the hydro and a muffler box if anyone has one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts