My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jack of all trades
252 Posts
The silver GTO that was used in that TV commercial, was at the muscle car show in Chicago last year. It's a pilot prototype car that survived the crusher.

·
Registered
854 Posts
While interesting, not sure where this guy gets his info, in the past I recorded several, "fastest" lists that had been complied, what I can say is there are very few 12 sec cars on any of the lists. When constrained to the older cars, they are all smaller bodied, large engine cars.

At 13 sec, there are many more, but most are still large engine cars (the only small engine is a Boss 351).

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Thnks -Forkz for posting that video.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yep the high/low headlamp switch.
this old girl has had much work done to the motor, sports a 5 spd where the m22 should be sitting and 4:11 gears in the rear ,best times were 11.35

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m not younger than 40, although I never owned anything with that “round thing”. But pretty sure it was the high/low beam toggle? I seem to recall a friend’s mom’s Chrysler LeBaron had it. That car was a bit of a sleeper, too.
Well, I'm way older than 40, but I remember in the late 70s of spraining my left ankle in a snowmobile incident and I could not dim the lights with my left foot, for over a year ...... but I did keep a short piece of broom handle on the dash to do the job in my 76 GMC van.......

·
Father Deerest
2,923 Posts
I like the thumb nail pic, now just ask the young lady to move a few steps to her right and....... perfect!
Used cars back in the 80's were a dime a dozen. We would buy a car for a few hundred bucks after a week or so of beating the heck out of it we would smash out the glass, chain the doors shut and run them in the demo derby. If you won, the prize money and scrap yard price would get you into your next car. This was before title jumping was an issue, most of the cars were on the 2nd or 3rd owner before it went for scrap with original owner titled, anyone remember L.A.F stand for? Good time man.

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
2,075 Posts
I wonder how many people younger than say 40 ears old know what that round thing on the floor below the parking brake pedal is for
Heck, what about the button on the floor to the right of the gas pedal?
(You don't get to play, Ellis!)

·
Registered
854 Posts
Must be warmed up a bit.
Back when I 1st started working (on cars) my boss was an ex military guy who raced 442's. When I started, he "retired" his '68 and bought a new '72, that he trailered home and pulled the engine out to get it worked on to racing condition.

He ran IIRC 14" slicks and in a stock class, to get the tires warmed up, he started in 4th and worked down to 1st, then it was ready. It's been a while but I think he was running in the 120/high 11's range
His goal that summer was to hold the national record for his class 1 week. I don't know if he ever did.

she's a rat but a low 11's rat ,

·
Registered
159 Posts
Must be warmed up a bit.
Back when I 1st started working (on cars) my boss was an ex military guy who raced 442's. When I started, he "retired" his '68 and bought a new '72, that he trailered home and pulled the engine out to get it worked on to racing condition.

He ran IIRC 14" slicks and in a stock class, to get the tires warmed up, he started in 4th and worked down to 1st, then it was ready. It's been a while but I think he was running in the 120/high 11's range
His goal that summer was to hold the national record for his class 1 week. I don't know if he ever did.
little more than a bit DL hint the motor was done by pat musi when he was still in new jersey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts