1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Looks very nice. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
17,206 Posts
Good progress--Shelia...Keep posting the pictures....

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
I like the way you laid that out, easy to get in with a tiller or wagon if needed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:thanku: everyone!

Well, it all looks laid out nice right now, but now I have to decide where the asparagus bed goes, same with raspberries, blueberries and Hood strawberry's.

Oh, did i mention the plans for a Henhouse and run on the cement slab?

Stay tuned for updates!

she

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Sheila. I notice you're in Washington - so I assume you get a lot of rain. Or maybe you're in the east part?

If you have flat beds in the garden, you might have problems with puddles after a rain. If so, you might consider raised or half-raised beds.

Many gardeners do a great job in siting the plot, with good sun exposure, but in wet areas, they sometimes overlook drainage.

Just a thought. Your garden looks really good; I admire all that fencing, as I've been slugging it out with a few groundhogs (woodchucks) recently. The little varmints are tougher than I thought!

Tom

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Tom !

Yikes! Tough Groundhogs in your neck of the woods! Deer and raccoons are my main problems.

Yep, on the Wet side of the state, so your thoughts are very welcome. Started to plan the garden over where I had taken the Blackberry vines out, but found my nicely sloped area was infested with dagger nematodes. 3 years to plant unless I wanted to chem the soil. So over to the front yard with the clay and rock. Probably should have put in a duck pond! 10-4 on puddling.

More organics like straw, leaves, alpaca poop mixed w/ sand, etc this winter for spring tilling, then I might have something decent for hilling the corn/beans/squash next year. perhaps some trenching also on the boarder.

I'm gonna get this baby down!

Sheila

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sheila I had my asparagus in a bed, but am slowly moving it to a raised bed. One reason is to contain it. It makes it easer to keep weeds and grass out and is easer to put manure on it. You are makeing a very neat garden and maybe this will help you keep it that way. Nice work!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's really nice seeing green with the brown dirt and they aren't weeds. I can see my bean plants from the deck now. Xdiver, asparagus make me think of Bamboo, and we know where that stuff can wander to.

Again, :thanku: Tom for bringing the wet to mind - I guess when the sun hits and it gets over 70, our NW brains shrink a bit. :cool:

Pretty much anything not annual will go into raised boxes, (totally the asparagus) semi raised beds/hills next year for the "In the Dirt" patch.

I'll hang out at the Asparagus thread Friday, got a few questions about bed size etc- Mom has me Thursday under her Child labor laws.

Night all!

sheila

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,318 Posts
Great looking garden. I really like raised beds, just haven't done yet myself.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Really nice looking garden. Altho' I only use semi-raised beds (no board sides), the raised bed gives you much better drainage (no puddling), plus it helps prevent compaction, and is easier to weed. Needless to say, it also helps the "visitor" to stay on the path, and not walk on the beds!

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm learning as I go so to do better next year- I've learned that 3 way Soil mix from a nursery may need extra amending for plants to be happy.

Really work on the center garden clay/soil into semi raised beds - need more drainage and warmth- and test the soil to make sure it's where it should be so I can add lime, compost, et

Hope my big sister comes through town this summer - she's a organic pear grower with a big garden each year. I need a hands on mentor, and the extension service/master gardener program don't make house calls.

Happy gardening everyone!

Sheila

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sheila; If moles are a problen , check out the thread"mole wars". The trap mole eleminator workes every time. (caution) pics of graveyard dead moles!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hee Hee - Moles fear me! I have 5 kills so far this year - 4 traps set today. I would sure like that kaboom mole blaster, just to collapse the old tunnels around so I could putting dirt in the runs. :14_6_5:

I use in tunnel traps I got on ebay - work great!

Sorry, no gory pics guys - but did you know moles fur is short and plush so it doesn't impede forward or reverse movement?

sheila

1 - 20 of 20 Posts