My Tractor Forum banner

Quick Hitch Spacer

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BlownL67 
#1 ·
I was very lucky to find a 1986 40" 2 blade rotary mower deck that is in "like-new" condition. It doesn't look as though it was ever used!! It's has the quick hitch attachment. My question is the manual talks about using spacers on the top attachment studs. However, I can't find a description of these spacers in any manual or online. Can any tell me what the spacers are and if they are necessary?
Thank you!

#2 ·
If I'm understanding you correctly, the "spacers" you're referring to are actually bushings and they are necessary for certain quick-hitch attachments, particularly the snow blower. The bushings allow the attachment a certain amount of "give" while operating. I purchased one from the dealer a few years ago for $12.00 - they've probably increased in price since then.

#7 ·
I'm interested, too. I've been running a quick hitch 40" kidney mower without any kind of stops. Looking at one of the manuals for it on "OldGravelys.net", I do see some short collars fitted onto bolts on the upper two attachment studs in one of the pictures (figure 2.0-3), but they don't show up in the parts breakdown. I also don't see anything under the attachment adapter kit (quick hitch) manuals.
http://oldgravelys.net/pdf/40_Inch_2_Blade_Mower_Op_Man_0986.pdf

I'll have to rummage through the parts boxes, and see if anything like that turns up. I might have those parts, but never realized what they are really for. I will say I've never had a problem with it wanting to turn over, even when picking the front end up.

#8 ·
OK. Here's what I found. The part number is 08338800. The part is called a spacer. It goes on the two top treaded studs protecting the threads should the deck twist. I also acts as a stop to keep the deck from rotating too much. My Gravely dealer - a very good one -- found the part -- $20 each! He feels that it is not necessary to use the spacer unless you are cutting on very irregular ground. The spacer part number appears on the Snowblower parts list because, he said, it is much more critical to keep the snowblower from twisting and damaging the shaft. I am going to use some PVC and the existing nut to protect the threads just in case. My yard is fairly level. If I see damage to the PVC then I will buy the part.

#9 ·
Thanks for the update, gravelyfan! I'll print this info out and keep it with my reference material. That's also a good idea about the PVC pipe. Even if it does wear out, it would take a while to run through even a 5 foot piece of PVC pipe. That said, if pressed I'd probably find a piece of steel tubing if they were wearing out really fast, or find something similar in the McMaster-Carr catalog, rather than pay $40 for 2 small spacers.

#10 ·
Finally had the chance to attach and use the 40" deck today. I cut the pvc to protect the threads on the studs. It worked well. I have to say, to damage the threads I would really have to twist the deck -- far more than the terrain of my yard allows.

#11 ·
I have 2 or 3 of those spacers in bags if I remember correctly, they were included with a 5665 and snowblower package I bought last Thanksgiving. I've found with a snowblower if you just use the studded quick hitch bolts on the top, one of them usually goes into the side holes of the blower and keeps it from twisting much -- much easier than mounting that bracket.

#12 ·
I ran into the same issue with my MA210/211 snowblowers and found a better fix.

I bought a bag of Nylon spacers which came to maybe $2.00. I can't remember the size off hand, but just bring one of the studs to the store and test it out.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/products/fasteners/_/N-gj4waoZjudqz8&searchValue=spacer&Ntt=spacer&Ntk=Search+All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntpc=1&Nty=0

If you go to the site, search for a location in your area and check it out! They have any size nut, bolt, washer, spacer, hook, in pretty much every size, grade etc....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.