My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quick question.

what oil goes in the gear box for the 30" mower deck? is it like other gear boxes for my 5' brush hog grade 0 oil/grease? (ive heard its a 50/50 mix of axle grease and 75wt gear oil)

long version

so im getting the collection out and starting to get more than one of them running.

Mind you avg price for my collection is $100 with an implement. Condition is...mostly poor. Of my 6 or so, 1 was running when i brought it home. Ive used it, and worked on it some. but the last mowing it died. Thought i had hit something and bound it up but no if i disengage the mower deck it would run.

So that was last winter, drove it into the barn and parked it. Well tis time to mow the tall stuff on the edge of the driveway that i cant get with the TC33.

SO i pull out my trusty L. put some gas in it and it fires up (as usuall) but when i engage the deck it dies DOH! forgot about that.

so i pull the deck off, deck doesnt want to spin freely... oh and ive got iron fillings round the slip clutch... hmmmm looking at the backside bearing on the deck (behind the slip clutch) and i can see its TOAST.

so go back into the back of the barn and snatch out one of the other parts machines with a deck on it and proceed to pull the deck off, do a quick service on it and put it into duty.

check the gear box before we start and DOH... its dry. (see question above)

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
but is there a definitive answer there for the 30" decks?
There are several 30 inch decks, it depends on the specific model. Some use gear oil, some use grease.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several 30 inch decks, it depends on the specific model. Some use gear oil, some use grease.
ahhhhhh

and i have all three

Large nut on top
small nut on top
disc that spins with 2 divots on top

·
Premium Member
4,999 Posts
and i have all three
Huh. Hoarding them, are we? :)
Large nut on top
That's probably a model 106, gear oil.
small nut on top
disc that spins with 2 divots on top
Dunno about those. If the small-nut one is the later model with the round gear housing, it takes grease. The other one sounds like one of the older left-turning ones, which I believe take oil.

I recommend that you look through the manuals at http://www.oldgravelys.net/docs/mowers/ and find the ones that match your mowers. That will give you more accurate answers than me guessing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
style 1

style 2

style 3

oh and might as well post a pic of the ol girl.

the rage is original survivors right? #29351 1948

oh and the total count is 6....

I really need to spend some time working on getting my Li in running shape and whats the story with "brass tags" ive got 2 in my collection...

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Is style 2 above what some are calling the "4 bolt" version?

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
This is the model 58,58A gearbox which is Gravelys second one which came out in 1959 also known as a 4 bolt. It is known for loosening up and even cracking where it mounts to the sheet metal deck.

This is Gravelys very first gearbox ( 1954) model 52-57. It is a left hand turn deck. That circular piece you see on top actually turns with the shaft.

The model MA601, this is Gravelys best gearbox Period! (1969) The gearboxes after this used grease and are not as good. I am in the process of rebuilding one right now, I want a second mowing deck for the knife blade, ( too lazy to change the cross blades).

- kris:rauch10:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have "style number 2". When I add gear oil, it pours out the bottom. How hard is it to replace that seal? Or does everyone just fill them with grease? I've read a couple threads (on here and another forum) where folks argued the finer points of using grease or repairing it proper and using gear oil. On this particular model ("style number 2"), would filling with grease cause damage, for example some particular bearing not getting lubricated, etc.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
I've got a freind who's dealt w/ Gravelys for years and he says when a seal goes, he always makes a loose paste w/ gear oil and grease and uses that. You'd have to keep in mind that you'd want to get just the right consistency so it finds all the parts you want lubricated without being too fluid so it just leaks out the seal again. Might take some experimentation to find the "right" formula but other than repalcing the seal, what else could you possibly do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hindenburg,

That is what I was thinking about trying. I also read somewhere, maybe on this forum, about using 00 grease, which is a sort of oil/grease slurry. But the only place I've found it so far had a specific brand for a specific piece of equipment and it was really expensive.

·
FIX IT MAN
393 Posts
Like I said, just make sure it gets to the bearings or you'll end up taking it all apart anyways to replace those. Start with as loose a slurry as you can get and if it continues to leak just thicken it up little by little w/grease until no leakage. I have the rototiller attachment and it worked for that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as i mentioned before 00 grease (as indicated by the TBN group) is essentially a 50/50 mix of 70/90 gear oil and wheel bearing grease.

00 grease is most often used in the gear boxes of (the full size version) brush hogs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts