My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I ran across across a product that if I might say "blew me away"!!!
I am currently in the process of bringing a JD 445 back to life and doing a little beauty work at the same time. The goal of this unit was to make use of what was there and not just dump a ton of cash into it. Some things I have been lucky with and others, replacement was the only option. When it came to the steering wheel it would have been easy to replace but most used pieces were in the same condition (or worse) and a new one just added another cost. I started looking at and trying some products I had at the house for automotive use. Mainly black trim restorer. Well none of it worked, it helped get a shine but then all I had was a shiny dingy gray steering wheel and I really wanted to achieve a deep black color. Then I ran across Quixx System Black Plastic Colour $14.99 This stuff is the bomb. Not only did it achieve the results I was looking for but it also dries completely and doesn't leave the feel of an Armor All product afterwards. Word of caution: Use gloves, use sparingly, and if needed do multiple coatings. Unlike paint this applied like a dye so there will be no chipping, flaking or cracking. Let me know what you think. Thanks for taking the time to read.
Automotive tire Tire Hood Wheel Tread
Green Motor vehicle Yellow Vehicle Grass

·
Citizen of Earth
16,252 Posts
WOWZERRRRRS!!!!!! That is definitely a huge improvement in appearance! I would imagine that would work just as well on other black plastic parts like the dash panel?

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOWZERRRRRS!!!!!! That is definitely a huge improvement in appearance! I would imagine that would work just as well on other black plastic parts like the dash panel?
@bontai Joe yes, It worked amazingly well on the dash and also the step pads. I just didn't have pics of those as of yet. I hadn't started on them until after this pic was taken. Will post here later.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might add, the new steering wheel from JD part #M71094 is $84.99, I saved nearly $70.00

• Love

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Wow, that did great!! Very impressive! Your tractor is going through a heck of a transformation. The only downside will be that it might be too pretty to REALLY use.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
What an improvement! Good find on that product.

I had some similar stuff I bought but never used, it is packed away somewhere. I was going to use in on some plastic shutters that had faded but never got around to it.

And you say there is no sticky or slippery feel after it dries? Is is for plastics only or is it OK on fiber glass or faded paints?

Nice find!!
Nice tractor too!!

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that did great!! Very impressive! Your tractor is going through a heck of a transformation. The only downside will be that it might be too pretty to REALLY use.
I have found out over the years that equipment will normally
Generally I have realized that as long as you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you. A clean machine is also much more enjoyable to work on in the event something needs attention.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What an improvement! Good find on that product.

I had some similar stuff I bought but never used, it is packed away somewhere. I was going to use in on some plastic shutters that had faded but never got around to it.

And you say there is no sticky or slippery feel after it dries? Is is for plastics only or is it OK on fiber glass or faded paints?

Nice find!!
Nice tractor too!!
It specially states plastic. Not sure without testing elsewhere. And yes, not slippery, tacky or wet once dry. And it dries to the touch within minutes. If an area looks unlevel or spotty just give another wipe and it seems to self correct. I will be doing the dash, footpads, toolbox and oh sh&* handles later. Will post pics when done.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
My last tractor (older Craftsman LT) got mechanical maintenance, but at a lesser level :) I paid $75 for the whole thing (it was worth a fair bit more), so I was less invested.

My GT now gets blown off after every mowing, which has helped keep it from really getting gunked up and filthy. Keeping stuff from building up seems to help. And yeah, it's nicer for working on it, or monitoring things, if it's not all packed full of grass and dirt.

And that's great that the restorer leaves the plastic feeling normal! I can't stand the slippery, Armor All feel. I will never use that stuff on my car or tractor, personally. The slippery feel, and then slippery fingers, drives me nuts.

But to each their own, some people probably love Armor All. I mean those people are wrong, clearly, but we're not here to judge :)

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great!
I had good luck with Mother’s Back to Black, but I remember it still feeling a little slick unlike what you’re describing. It didn’t act like a dye, but it was pretty long lasting. I might have to look into that Quixx you mentioned.
I tried the back to black and was never able to get a deep black, only a darker gray and yes it had a greasy feel.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,412 Posts
Not sure if this would work for your situation but some people get good results from using a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure if this would work for your situation but some people get good results from using a heat gun.
Please explain. I'm intrigued wondering how the process may work. 🤔

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,412 Posts
Google renew plastic with a heat gun. Watch a couple videos. That will explain way better than I ever could. I have never tried it so no real world experiance but from the few vids I have seen makes it look like a viable option for bumpers, dash pads or anything plastic. It does take a little talent as just putting heat to plastic will cause it to melt. It basically is reflowing the plastic on the surface so it becomes new again without over doing it and ruining the object.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Google renew plastic with a heat gun. Watch a couple videos. That will explain way better than I ever could. I have never tried it so no real world experiance but from the few vids I have seen makes it look like a viable option for bumpers, dash pads or anything plastic. It does take a little talent as just putting heat to plastic will cause it to melt. It basically is reflowing the plastic on the surface so it becomes new again without over doing it and ruining the object.
With my luck I would wind up with a metal ring for a steering wheel with the a big old glob of plastic on the foot rest. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: aTOMic

·
Registered
110 Posts
We used to use Vaseline on sun faded plastic parts, mostly for restoring motorcycle parts.

Problem is the sun bakes the back plastic, which causes parts of the oil to bake off and evaporate. This leaves you with that white, chalky look. It's a big problem on motorcycle handlebar switches, which are in the sun almost all the time. Being black on makes it worse.

we'd take the switches and housings and coat them with Vaseline. Then leave them to sit overnight. The oils from the Vaseline soak into the plastic and replace most of what the sun baked out. Wipe the parts of after 24 hrs and they're nice and black again. Then treat with whatever product you like to seal it in and take away any final bit of greasiness.

Work 90-95%of the time. If the plastic has gone to that "crystalline" look, then it's too far gone to save as it has begun to loose structural cohesiveness and is on it's way to being brittle and crumbling.

Just offering up another way to bring back sun bleached plastic that's worked for me.

:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts