My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to posting here but been looking around for months. I just stumbled upon a 74 110 electric lift standard. It is owned by my forman at work he showed me the tractor and attachments. It comes with a blower tiller and 2 mowing decks one is good and one for parts. They are all in realy good shape the motor runs good but the tractor chugs along when its on flat ground but doesn't when going up hill. Im not shure what it is, it's not the governer or and engine surge. He said that he was told that it was a belt ajustment but i wanted to ask some more people before buy it. Any input would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
35,942 Posts
OK, here's a bit more info for you run green. The variator and clutch assembly are tied together. There are two things that could be affecting this older tractor. First is just belt condition! Either way you need to get under the tractor to check them. Lying under the tractor with the mower deck removed (of course) you should look up and see two belts. One from the engine coming back to a double pulley about the middle of the tractor and then on the other side of the double pulley the belt back to the tranny. This double pulley moves position based upon the "Variator" the handle on the right side with the 5 notches in it. As that handle is moved forward and back the variator asssembly should also move forward and back. If not then they are not connected and that will need fixed first! (Time to get the manual out!) Then after you have those moving the middle of the double pulley should move left and right. I always remove the rear belt to test this, just makes it easier to do. That middle sheeve between the two belts should slide easily to the left and right, if not your variator won't vary speed properly. You should use dry graphite lubricant on it and place some on the brass bushing it slides on (not too much either) and then move it by hand until it slides freely. If the belts are in bad shape replace them with JD original belts!! They really do work better!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks pa318guy it will be a few weeks before i can go look at the tractor again. It is owned by my old foreman, and it has a fairly new belt on it if i remember corect. I just wanted to know if it was an adjustment with the belt or if it was a tranny issue before i persue this tractor anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts