My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
A quick check with Google indicates that these are very small, light duty engines made for pushing very small vehicles, not well suited to moving heavy equipment.

I have however also discovered that no one knows anything about low compression diesel engines.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turbo Charged
Pros:
  1. Best power to weight and fuel ratios.
Cons:
  1. Will not last long at all.
  2. Too much heat output.
I know #1 in your cons ("Turbo diesel will not last long at all") is completely false.
A properly designed turbo diesel will last every bit as long as a naturally asperated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So at 150 tons I guess this isn't going to be a racing tractor? ?

I would be looking at the diesel engines that they use in train locomotives. Individual freight cars can weigh up to 130 tons each when loaded, and a diesel locomotive can move dozens of cars in a single train.
Diesel locomotives run generators to supply power to the electric motors driving the wheels. You need to determine the size of electric motor first, then the diesel needed to generate the required power.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you checked out an M88A2? Military recovery track vehicle. Can pull the M1A1 tank (80 tons) and lift 35 tons. I don't know if those specs are exact, it's been a while. Might be some older surplus ones for sale.

·
3,186 Posts
A friend of mine drove a "tow truck" for retrieving broken down tanks when he was in the Army.......reading moostang's post reminded me of his MOS ....you should check them out if you have not lost interest in pursuing this effort

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The M88 is actually pretty cool. I know it's been a while. I didn't expect more posts here.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts