My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, All ..

Have a couple of questions, if you can spare a few minutes:
1. I'm looking at a low time B7510. I'm not sure of the year, and it doesn't have a MMM so my question is: Is a MMM still offered by Kubota that would fit the B7510?

2. The tractor has hydrostat, and my question is: How can I tell whether a used hydrostat has problems or not? I have no experience with hydrostats but have read that they're pretty bulletproof IF they're maintained correctly. But if they aren't, I have no idea what symptoms to look for.

You guys (& gals) sure have a wealth of good info, so hope you'll share your thoughts on this. And thanks in advance.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Hello John, I've got a few minutes to talk tractor :D

1) re. MMM, I don't know if Kubota still makes a MMM to fit the B7510 but the B7510 hasn't been manufacturer discontinued for that long so I'd say a MMM for it should still be available.
Expect a new 60" MMM for it to run anywhere from $1800 to $2300.
The same model MMM fits the B7610 and I believe the 60" will also fit the B7800 so that should make it more available. This particular MMM is a ground contact type in that the gauge wheels are always in contact w/the ground and this is also how the depth of cut is set. The newer B2320/B2620 that replaced the B7510/B7610 MMM's are suspended types so it would take quite a bit if modification to get one of these newer MMM's to fit.
Another option woul dbe to go w/a RFm (rear finish mower). They give as nice a cut in most cases, are easier to R&R and run considerably less $$$'s. You loose some manuverability around obstacles but all this des is slow you down abit.

2) re. HST, When I was tractor trading back in the day I really gave the B7510/B7610 models a good test at several dealers. I really liked them but one thing I noticed is that everyone of them whined alittle louder than the BX's I was testing out. It wasn't a deal breaker and I could have lived with it, still could too :D but I wanted to point this out that these models will whine and it's normal. They'll whine alittle louder going up an incline too.
As long as the whine doesn't include any mechanical clicking or gear noise consider it normal.
SUDT may qiet down some if it's running UDT.
While you're testing it out, test both ranges, in low gear that B7510 should want to pull a house down and in high gear it should run pretty fast but will lack some in hill climbing, this is normal. Listen "past" the whine for any mechanical sounds.
These models have adjustable rear wheel width settings and they use a large setscrew and clamp to secure the wheel to the axle. Over time and usage and even when brand new, this set-screw clamp can either work loose and/or have never been properly tightened by the dealer at setup which will cause a metal "knocking/clunking" sound when in motion. This can be mistaken for a bad HST when in reality the set screw just needs properly tightning. Keep this in mind also.
Theres not been any posts of a failed HST on these models that I can recall seeing. Not to say there hasn't been any failures, I just haven't seen any posted over the course of 5 - 6 yrs or so and thats a pretty good track record. Generally when someone has posted of strange metal/clunking noises coming from the rear of these models it's almost always been those notorious setscrews being loose :D

If not for the backhoe on the BX23 I would be tool'n around on the B7510.

Does it have the FEL? Kubota changed to a different style on the newer B's so they won't bolt up.
Dave

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dave ..
Knowing that you had once considered the B7510, I was hoping you'd weigh in.
Hello John, I've got a few minutes to talk tractor :D

1) re. MMM, I don't know if Kubota still makes a MMM to fit the B7510 but the B7510 hasn't been manufacturer discontinued for that long so I'd say a MMM for it should still be available.
Expect a new 60" MMM for it to run anywhere from $1800 to $2300.
The same model MMM fits the B7610 and I believe the 60" will also fit the B7800 so that should make it more available. This particular MMM is a ground contact type in that the gauge wheels are always in contact w/the ground and this is also how the depth of cut is set. The newer B2320/B2620 that replaced the B7510/B7610 MMM's are suspended types so it would take quite a bit if modification to get one of these newer MMM's to fit.
Another option woul dbe to go w/a RFm (rear finish mower). They give as nice a cut in most cases, are easier to R&R and run considerably less $$$'s. You loose some manuverability around obstacles but all this des is slow you down abit.
Hmm, seems like constant ground contact with the MMM sure would be a pain when I wanted to use the FEL (yes, it has one). Would be just about essential to remove the MMM for FEL work, no? As you say, though, the RFM has a lot of advantages going for it (price, ease of use) with only the drawback of being awkward (slow) around obstacles. A four-footer would be about the right size, wouldn't it?

2) re. HST, When I was tractor trading back in the day I really gave the B7510/B7610 models a good test at several dealers. I really liked them but one thing I noticed is that everyone of them whined alittle louder than the BX's I was testing out. It wasn't a deal breaker and I could have lived with it, still could too :D but I wanted to point this out that these models will whine and it's normal. They'll whine alittle louder going up an incline too.
As long as the whine doesn't include any mechanical clicking or gear noise consider it normal.
SUDT may qiet down some if it's running UDT.
While you're testing it out, test both ranges, in low gear that B7510 should want to pull a house down and in high gear it should run pretty fast but will lack some in hill climbing, this is normal. Listen "past" the whine for any mechanical sounds.
These models have adjustable rear wheel width settings and they use a large setscrew and clamp to secure the wheel to the axle. Over time and usage and even when brand new, this set-screw clamp can either work loose and/or have never been properly tightened by the dealer at setup which will cause a metal "knocking/clunking" sound when in motion. This can be mistaken for a bad HST when in reality the set screw just needs properly tightning. Keep this in mind also.
Theres not been any posts of a failed HST on these models that I can recall seeing. Not to say there hasn't been any failures, I just haven't seen any posted over the course of 5 - 6 yrs or so and thats a pretty good track record. Generally when someone has posted of strange metal/clunking noises coming from the rear of these models it's almost always been those notorious setscrews being loose :D

If not for the backhoe on the BX23 I would be tool'n around on the B7510.

Does it have the FEL? Kubota changed to a different style on the newer B's so they won't bolt up.
Dave
Good info on the HST as well as the wheel spacing set screw. Man, I'd never have thought to check that.

And the FEL is supposed to be the "quick attach" type, though I forgot to ask him the model #. (Tractor's about 90 mi away so it's all pix and emails at this point.)

As always, your observations are valued and most appreciated. If (no, WHEN) I get a deal made, I'll sure post some pix and feedback so you'll know your info has been put to good use.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
John, I'm not 100% sure but I "think" that the MMM can be pinned in the Top position so that the 3ph can be raised and lowered and the MMM stays put at the top position. So you wouldn't have to remove it for most "normal FEL type work unless ground clearance becomes an issue.
I've done quite a bit of digging with my MMM locked in the Top position and it has alot less ground clearance than the B7510.

re. FEL. yes it's a quick attach type and by that I mean that the entire FEL can be easily removed and replaced and the tractor can be operated either with it on or off. I routinely remove my FEL when I mow so as to be more nimble.
That FEL will also accomadate a quick attach bucket. This means that that the bucket only can be removed and another implement such as a set of forks can be pinned in the FEL frame. Course you have to have the optional quick attach bucket, bracket & forks :D

Lets us know and I'm glad to help.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts