My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at purchasing a John Deere 425 with the product identification number M00425B01154 not complete but is only readable part. I believe that would make it a 1993. I will post some pictures showing the tractor, the hour meter reads 800 hours. The gentlemen who owns it says he bought it 7 years ago from a dealer who took it on trade not running and replaced the bad plastic timing gear with the new steel one. He says that has been a great tractor but he doesn't need it any longer as his son now does all of the yard work with his new equipment. It has the 54 inch deck, rear PTO and three point lift installed. The rear PTO is one of my concerns, it is the female design that would require a male end on the drive shaft to the attached piece of equipment or a male to male adapter shaft. I thought all of the 425,445 and 455 tractors had the male PTO installed? Please respond with your comments and advice once you read this and view the pictures. The seller is asking $2,600.00 for the unit but has hinted could be bought for $2,400.00 cash!!

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
The rear PTO is one of my concerns, it is the female design that would require a male end on the drive shaft to the attached piece of equipment or a male to male adapter shaft. I thought all of the 425,445 and 455 tractors had the male PTO installed?
4x5 rear pto utilize male to male adapter.

BM17757 John Deere 540 RPM Rear PTO Stub Shaft Kit. Converts 540 rpm rear PTO gear box female output to industry standard male output. Required for powering most 540 rpm equipment. Not required with 450 Tiller.

https://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-Deere-540-RPM-Rear-PTO-Stub-Shaft-Kit-BM17757.html

John Deere PTO Stub Shaft - M112354

https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-PTO-Stub-Shaft-M112354.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone comment on pricing for this tractor due to age and hours?? If you review pictures is in good shape, has a new upper hood section installed and it has been kept clean. Should I be looking at something newer in that price range?? Comments please!!

·
Registered
808 Posts
From what i have seen, that is a good price. Comes with the 3 point hitch and rear PTO?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I don't think the price is out of range, plastic cam replaced, pto and 3ph.

It's age is the only drawback but it's one issue has been resolved, plastic cam gear.

It is carborated, 445 has EFI, 455 is diesel.

If you have a use for PTO and 3PH, I'd say it is a good deal.

You could do a lot worse.

CCMoe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You for your comments will be making the eight hour trip each way road trip to pick it up!! The 3 point hitch and PTO are the real reasons I want it, have a good 48 inch tiller that will save me tons of work in the large garden I put out every year. I will follow up with a new post including new pictures once I have have it home and completely check out!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's a liquid-cooled V-Twin it's only half used up. If it was maintained well it's not even half used up. they're not making them like that anymore my friend; I think that's a good buy.

and as I like to say even if you have to spend a little money on it, that's no throw away mower

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw that tractor but it doesn't have the rear PTO or 3 point hitch, going to leave Wednesday morning early to go pickup tractor. I will probably start a new thread one I get it home and checked out completely!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts