My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather changing time to be ready for the snow.

1. Has anyone ever broken the tabs off the front axle cross member while pushing snow or dirt? I thought I read a post here about that happening.
2. What is my best option for PTO belts? I think I have read it takes 42.5" belts. I can't find them locally. I have used 43" but they slip and last Saturday one slipped between the pulley and the engine. Belts stink when they burn up!
3. Does anyone know where I might find rear rims that will fit my tractor (1256) so I can add a set of AG tires as an option.
4. Are AG or Turf tires better for plowing snow? I do not have tire chains...yet. I have a couple of sets of car tire chains I have been planning on modifying to fit my turf tires.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
3. any garden tractor 5 bolt rims will work
4. you'll get those who like turfs with chains and those who like ag's. It will ultimately come down to weight no matter what you chose.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I've had good luck with the rebranded Gates Green belts purchased from Car Quest or NAPA on my G12.

I think mine specifies a 42.5 inch belt as well, I use the 42 inch successfully.

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
4. you'll get those who like turfs with chains and those who like ag's. It will ultimately come down to weight no matter what you chose.
+1. I use turf tires on my H16, and attached the tiller to the rear of the tractor for some more weight. Made a huge difference and I don't have chains either.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've successfully used 42" belts on a 1256. The PTO will still turn a little bit while starting and running before engaging the PTO, but I suppose that could be normal, as I've never run the tractor with the correct size belts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts