My Tractor Forum banner

Questions and lots of them

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  44FarmallA 
#1 ·
I have so many questions, not sure where to begin, so here goes.

1. I want to convert from 6 to 12 volt, but I'm not anxious to jump just yet. I've done some reading and know which alt I need. I also assume I'll need a new ignition switch. The tractor doesn't have any lights, so no worries there. Starter is dragging, so I'm going to have it rebuilt. I guess while there rebuilding, might as well have them wind it for 12 volt. I'm switching from ammeter to voltameter, so takes care of that. Am I missing anything? Oops. Forgot about the coil. I'll have to change.

Ok on to more good stuff. I have a leaky differential seal. How hard of a project is it to replace? Any special tools?

I have drained the fluid from transmission. I thought about flushing it out, but I know I would have to change seals for sure then. I've been thinking about putting some diesil in my sprayer and spraying it into the transmission and letting it drain. Not sure how well that would work. I'm just thinking out loud.

Thoughts?

One more quick question. Has anyone ever done away with their points and went to electronic ignition?

See less See more
#2 ·
Does the current 6V charging system work? You wouldn't need to change the coil but you will need a resistor even with a 12 V coil.
Do you mean axle seal???
You can rinse out the tranny with diesel no problem.

#3 ·
Current 6 volt system doesn't work well at all. I've been chasing my tail trying to figure out what is up.

Here the deal. I have to charge my battery everyday. I took the battery to two different O'reily's and both say the battery is good and holds a charge.

Cables on tractor are as big around as your finger and in good shape. Battery post are new and tight.

Starter acts funny and sometimes doesn't want to turn over. It also get pretty hot to the touch when I am trying to get tractor to start. once I do get tractor to start, it runs good, but will not start up again if you kill it. When I say it won't start up, I mean starter doesn't turn over. Also, sometimes I hear a metallic thump from the starter when I am trying to start it. This makes me think maybe a broken tooth on flywheel or starter. I will sometimes hear the bendix wizz.

Ok, now here is somemore of my thoughts. I see the tractor has a new voltage regulator, it looks to have new wiring going to all the right places too. This makes me think someone has tried to fix this problem. I think maybe I just need to go one step further and look at the starter. I used to tinker with old cars when I was a lot younger, but haven't messed with them in years, so maybe my thinking is all wrong. I dunno.

Now, here some more thoughts. If I have the starter looked at and it needs work, while I have it off the tractor, why not just make the switch to twelve volt. I would like a trouble free system and I would like some nice bright lights eventually.

I'm open to ideas.

#4 ·
Switch to 12v...You will be starting from scratch rather than trying to figure out what the last owner did..:fing32:

The starter will work with either 6v or 12v..Just don't drag it down with steady 12v.

Thick cables are the right ones for 6v..It should be positive ground.

Parts man is right...an inline resistor is needed before the coil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.