My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Posting this on behalf of user Alex1, since I don’t have a 265

Hi, can you help me? My older model John Deere 265 (from 1989 with 46" mower deck) has a problem with the mower deck sheave/spindle rubbing and sparking the metal behind it on the tractor body itself.
1. How do I move the deck forward so it doesn't bump into the metal behind it and cause sparks and chew up the metal?
Is there something to tighten, or should I just get a shorter primary belt even though it isn't the size I'm supposed to use?
2. Also, when I initially took off the mower deck I found this u-shaped bolt, threaded on both ends, laying on the mower deck. (bolt is 1.5" wide by 2" long.) It has shear cuts in it and it came from somewhere, but the guys at local John Deere are overrun with short staff due to coronavirus lay-offs and they don't have time to figure out where the bolt came from. I've looked at a bunch of parts diagrams for this and can't find it anywhere.

More info: It's the sheave that has the primary belt which brings power from the traction drive belt and conveys it to the mower deck belt. Well, the belt on that sheave seems to not be as taught as I would expect and therefore when I start mowing the sheave bumps or rubs against the metal behind it on the mower body and causes sparks, not to mention that it is biting into the metal and leaving grooves.
Here is how it started: I was mowing and lost power to my wheels. It turns out the main belt broke that powers my wheels. I went to John Deere store about 40 min away and got a new belt and put it on ---I am a do it yourselfer and took care and time to do a good job. After I got the new belt on my 265 felt sharp and new again! I was pleased and thankful, and re-attached the mower deck, but the primary deck belt that runs through the upper part of the sheave felt a little looser than I ever remember when I've taken off and put back on that deck in the past.
Thank you
Can someone with a 265 give us a hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
How do you know you have the correct size primary drive belt for mower deck?
When you say primary traction drive belt I think of one that runs to transaxle, but you say it conveys power to the deck. You are talking about the primary deck drive belt that runs from pto to double pulley. Right?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Either the pulley is bent or that is wrong belt it should not set that deep in the V. Off hand not sure on the u shape bolt. Does the belt have a part number on it?

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Are you sure that is a compatible deck for that tractor?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you know you have the correct size primary drive belt for mower deck?
When you say primary traction drive belt I think of one that runs to transaxle, but you say it conveys power to the deck. You are talking about the primary deck drive belt that runs from pto to double pulley. Right?
Thanks for your response and question, when my 265 tractor rear wheels suddenly stopped getting power and I found the tractio belt torn in half, I called local John Deere and gave them my tractor model and year. They said it was the V-belt part # M71135 for the drivetrain. I put it on and it drives great. Now, if I'm saying this right, the "primary belt" which fits on the bottom spindle of the pto's double pulley and in turn powers the mower deck's belt, well that belt is too loose now because I adjusted the rod arms that connect the front of the deck to the front of the tractor because the spindle that sticks up on the back of the mower deck was sparking against the hydraulic transmission plugs behind it.
So I'm stuck between having the metal sparking or the primary deck belt too loose.
Can I just get a shorter primary deck v-belt and solve this??

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're right, but I've stared at that thing for hours and there are only a few points of possible adjustment. This was my father-in-laws and her bought it new, so I assume the deck is the right one for the tractor. I measured it and it measures 46" to the cut line marking on the deck. Ive had this for 8 years and used only intermittently the past 3-4 years. Now with the cutbacks due to the coronavirus I am taking care of the lawn myself again and this mower is showing its age and my mechanical i.q.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Drivetrain belt : V-belt part # M71135
Part Number M84223 Primary

M84136 Secondary

Now which belts do you have where?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Either the pulley is bent or that is wrong belt it should not set that deep in the V. Off hand not sure on the u shape bolt. Does the belt have a part number on it?
The pulley doesn't appear bent at all.
I just looked up the belt on the greenpartsstore.com website and I have the primary deck drive belt M84223 (at 62.29" long) which says it is for the Model 265 with 46" deck with serial #'s before 012,178 and my ser.# is 080,364.
It looks like I need the M95861 which is 61.26".
I can't imagine that reducing the belt length by 1.03" would be enough to keep the pulley pulled forward clear away from the metal behind it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drivetrain belt : V-belt part # M71135
Part Number M84223 Primary

M84136 Secondary

Now which belts do you have where?
I have just like you listed, except I will have to look at the secondary belt # tomorrow in light. But that secondary belt wouldn't effect the spacing problem between my deck and tractor could it?

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
Spin double pulley does it wobble? If the belt sets higher up in the pulley it will not let the pulley go back as far. This happens with thinker belt.

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Thanks for your response and question, when my 265 tractor rear wheels suddenly stopped getting power and I found the tractio belt torn in half, I called local John Deere and gave them my tractor model and year. They said it was the V-belt part # M71135 for the drivetrain. I put it on and it drives great. Now, if I'm saying this right, the "primary belt" which fits on the bottom spindle of the pto's double pulley and in turn powers the mower deck's belt, well that belt is too loose now because I adjusted the rod arms that connect the front of the deck to the front of the tractor because the spindle that sticks up on the back of the mower deck was sparking against the hydraulic transmission plugs behind it.
So I'm stuck between having the metal sparking or the primary deck belt too loose.
Can I just get a shorter primary deck v-belt and solve this??
I think you need to go back and adjust back the rod arms that connect the front deck back to the way it was, then make sure primary belt is routed the right way, also isn't there somekind of handle that you pull back on top of the deck that kind of tightens up that belt? Make sure that handle is operating right, believe there might be a spring of somekind on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It has the 46” deck that came with.
The double pulley doesn’t wobble, is good and firm.
On the deck there are two springs that loosen to change the deck belt and then make it taught again. I’ll take a better picture and post.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts