My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a John Deere 214 garden tractor and more recently purchased a 37A snow thrower to go along with it. The snow thrower is in excellent condition and supposedly came with everything needed for installation, but I'm having some issues figuring out where everything goes. Specifically, I'm having trouble figuring out the routing of the front lift rod and I'm wondering if there's a piece missing to connect the lift rod to the thrower. I've taken several pictures of the setup (below) and hope someone can tell me what goes where and if I'm missing anything -- and if I'm missing something, whether it's available from Deere or if I'll have to fabricate something myself.

Also, not sure that the part in the second pic is facing the right direction. I pulled the pin while trying to figure out where everything goes and now I'm not sure if I put it back together correctly. Finally, I'm wondering if the apparent wear on the lift rod in the third pic is something to be overly concerned about or whether that's normal or even as-designed.

Thanks a million,
Brent

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
These should help, the second picture shows the short arm (I don't see one in your pictures) that goes from the lever to the lift linkage:

Attachments

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The shot from underneath really helps. Is it my imagination or is the lift rod actually bent to clear the various obstacles underneath?

Also, do you have any other pictures of the short arm you mentioned, which I do seem to be missing. (For the price I paid for the thrower I can't complain too much, even though I was told it was 100% complete.)

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
It has a slight bend to it to go under the oil pan and then get back up to the hole to the front. The wear you have is reasonably normal although it's not manufactured like that.

Attachments

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
might want to buy a winch to lift/lower the thrower. the thrower is really heavy and the linkage doesn't give you much leverage. i use to use the lever to lift/lower and ended up pulling a muscle in my shoulder really bad. (couldn't hardly walk for a day, weird how that goes together)

bought the cheapest winch i could find and welded a bracket on for it. the wire cable wears out fast so i swapped it for a chain.

Attachments

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has a slight bend to it to go under the oil pan and then get back up to the hole to the front. The wear you have is reasonably normal although it's not manufactured like that.
Thanks! I'm going to check with the guy I bought the thrower from to see if he has the arm and forgot to send it, although since he's two hours away I think I'd probably do just as well to fabricate my own or see if Deere still sells it.

might want to buy a winch to lift/lower the thrower. the thrower is really heavy and the linkage doesn't give you much leverage. i use to use the lever to lift/lower and ended up pulling a muscle in my shoulder really bad. (couldn't hardly walk for a day, weird how that goes together)

bought the cheapest winch i could find and welded a bracket on for it. the wire cable wears out fast so i swapped it for a chain.
Slick! Nice work. :)

·
10,839 Posts
Also, do you have any other pictures of the short arm you mentioned, which I do seem to be missing. (For the price I paid for the thrower I can't complain too much, even though I was told it was 100% complete.)
37a lift strap 001.jpg

37a lift strap 002.jpg

If that's not included, no big deal. One stop shopping to get that. Take 169 to 14 east, get off on the 22 exit, go north to the first stoplight, turn left, and go to TSC.

You need:

(1) 1" flat stock, 3/16" thick. 12" long.
(1) 7/16 high speed steel drill bit.
(2) 3/8" diameter by 3/4" length drill pin.
(2) Safety clips
(10) 3/8 washers

Drill 7/16" hole at 11" on center (equally in from both ends, 1/2") in that flat stock. Since it won't have the extra metal tab to hold the other end of the pin, use the washers to keep the flat stock tight against the lift pivot and blower frame.

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If that's not included, no big deal. One stop shopping to get that. Take 169 to 14 east, get off on the 22 exit, go north to the first stoplight, turn left, and go to TSC.

You need:

(1) 1" flat stock, 3/16" thick. 12" long.
(1) 7/16 high speed steel drill bit.
(2) 3/8" diameter by 3/4" length drill pin.
(2) Safety clips
(10) 3/8 washers

Drill 7/16" hole at 11" on center (equally in from both ends, 1/2") in that flat stock. Since it won't have the extra metal tab to hold the other end of the pin, use the washers to keep the flat stock tight against the lift pivot and blower frame.
Perfect! I just emailed the guy to see if he has it and can send it, but regardless I think I'll take your advice and go the TSC route so I can get it installed tomorrow. (Well, everything except the pulley, which I knew I'd need and which should be here early next week.) :)

·
10,839 Posts
And you've got that pivot mounted up where it belongs? Kinda tough to see in there without the tractor on a lift, or propped up, but a lot easier with the blower off.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's not included, no big deal. [...] Drill 7/16" hole at 11" on center (equally in from both ends, 1/2") in that flat stock. Since it won't have the extra metal tab to hold the other end of the pin, use the washers to keep the flat stock tight against the lift pivot and blower frame.
Thanks to your excellent instructions I went out to my dad's place today and we built a new link. Then when I got home I had an email from the guy who sold me the unit, letting me know he had found "the missing link" and would be sending it to me. Figures, but at least I got to spend some time with my dad. :)

And you've got that pivot mounted up where it belongs? Kinda tough to see in there without the tractor on a lift, or propped up, but a lot easier with the blower off.
I haven't mounted it yet; probably tomorrow. I need to get a shoulder bolt if I can find one or else make do with something else for the time being. Info found elsewhere says the bolt is JD part # M45033, so I may call the dealer Monday morning and see what they get for it. It's a couple bucks online, which is more than I like to pay for a small bolt, but I like having the right parts installed so if they can get it in for me along with the pulley I'll do it.

Speaking of which ... does it matter which side of the mounting tab the pivot is on?

And where the heck are the pics of the 214?
Soon! :)

Huge thanks to everyone for the quick, detailed responses. I'm a lifelong car guy, but after my first experience on this board I can see why my dad prefers his 8Ns (not that the two are mutually exclusive). :)

Thanks again,
Brent

·
10,839 Posts
Speaking of which ... does it matter which side of the mounting tab the pivot is on?

Where it attaches is a bracket on the frame. (two sides) It hangs in the middle. Post #9 pic 3.

Huge thanks to everyone for the quick, detailed responses. I'm a lifelong car guy, but after my first experience on this board I can see why my dad prefers his 8Ns (not that the two are mutually exclusive). :)

Thanks again,
Brent
Is your dad on here? Lots of Ford gurus here.

·
-
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up the pulley and shoulder bolt from the dealer after work today and just finished installing the 37A. Pics are attached. Still need to install the chains and adjust the air in the tires, but otherwise she's ready to go. Big thanks to everyone for the help!

Brent

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,643 Posts
You're going to love having a snowblower on there it's the only way to go! Nice pics and the snowblower looks to be in great shape!

·
320 Owner
20 Posts
This is just the thread I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for posting pics and the explanations....as I needed a couple of parts to mate my 210 to my 37A.

I've ordered the longer lift rod and am now shopping for pulley to go on the PTO. Once installed I think it will all be functional.

Anyone have any tips about maintenance for the 37A? I took off the side plate and the chain was pretty rusted with a bunch of junk in there. I cleaned it out and the chain is still tight and functional. I sprayed it heavily with WD40 and am letting it sit. I am tempted to drench the chain in 140wt synthetic gear oil, but wonder what the best maintenance suggestions are.

Also, what about the bearings on the 37A? Do they need any maintenance?

·
10,839 Posts
The pulley is still available from JD.

I would advise removing the chain, and putting it into a gallon Ziploc bag with enough acetone/ATF fluid mixed 50/50 to cover it completely and letting it soak for a day or three.

With the chain off, rotate the auger and listen for any grinding noise in the bearings or feel for any resistance. If any, replace the bearings.

How is the gap from either paddle to the back of the housing, just under the chute? Anything over 1/8" of a gap will decrease performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts