My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post here. Had been @ the other place. Starting to get irritated by ads.
I've been looking at CC 1000 models. We have about an acre. No hills, about 8 trees. I'm thinking the 1554 is too much for us. I was thinking along the lines of 1046 (I think there is a 46; can't remember right now). Also, how is that system to clean deck, jet something? What do you think?

Forgot to add: Just used for mowing, some light trailer towing.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I would consider the 2000 series.I forget the number but it took the place of last years 2180.You would gain shaft drive and a heavier well built tractor for lthe same money as the 1554.I seen one a few days ago priced at $2600.00.This years model even has a cast iron transaxel.It is a Kohler twin with a 42'' deck and would be fine for 1 acre.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
:Welcome: BigDen for one acre of flat ground the 1046 should do you just find. Plus you save some money. johndeere is right the 2000's are a better LT they feel better and weigh more and more then likely last a lifetime. But they cost more also Duh.:bonk: If all your going to do is cut grass the 1046 will work just fine and as long as you keep up with the maintenance it will give your many years of service. Now if your going to pull aerator's and heavy things i would go with the 2000's. I don't know anything about the wash out ports because that new to this years models.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to the forum BigDen.
Both the guys make good points........for the $1500~$2000 price range the 1000 series is hard to beat. The SLT1554 is a brute of a lawn tractor and is $2399.
However.......what johndeere is talking about is the model LT2042.Its the opening model of Drive shaft series.
18hp kohler Command w/42" deck and a rugged built frame and SHAFT drive. It is a lifetime tractor if you can swing it........$2599.00 is Cub's map price.List is 2899..
Did I mention it has a driveshaft?.......lol......seriously.......drive 'em both.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I agree the 1042 would be fine for your needs.I was just thinking rather then going with the 1500 series that might be to large for your needs.It might be better to put the money toward a 2042 for the heavier longer lasting reasons.I feel if you are considering a 1500 series for the same money then the cost would not be an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome and responses!
I like the idea of longevity. I guess my wanting to save money comes in to play though!! I know you can't have both. It seems to me the 2000 would be too much especially for one acre. I do take good care of my equipment so I'm thinking a 1000 would suffice.

I'll let you all know what we decide. We have a 70s era Allis-Chalmers now. My wife's first husband didn't have maintenance in his vocabulary! So we have to replace it.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
We all realize that money is a issue but then look at it this way, I have a 5 acre lot of which I have 2 acres of grass which is mowed (the rest is pasture) When I orginally bought the land I also bought a new Sears lawn tractor and I had continuous problems of things breaking (3 axles, the lift links 5 of them, the blades bending the first time I used the mower deck) and after the warranty expired I was paying on average $250.00 a year in fixing stuff that broke. My Craftsman was just to lightly built for the uses I using it for (mowing grass ligth hauling) I had under bought.
Well I got mad one day and went to the John Deere dealer and was talking to the salesman when he bought up the idea to move up from Craftsman and showed me a L-120, I was sold immediately on it and tryed to buy right then and there, only problem was the fact they were sold out so they called the local Home Depot and they had one in stock. I went over and bought it and took it home in the back of my Pickup truck. Well 2 years later the JD is still going strong and still cutting grass, with only one warranty problem (a rib nut on the hood broke and the JD dealer replaced the hood in 2 days and had me mowing again) I classify the JD as a medium duty lawn tractor, You might never need the excess capacity in the stronger CC but they are much better tractors once you are in the shaft drive tractors and are almost bullet proof.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its really not alot more money when you amortize it out .......take care of it and you'll give the 2042 to your kids......and they'll still be able to get parts! 'course by then.we'll probaly have lasers to cut grass or else have it genetically engineered to grow to a certain height and always stay green.
Then they'll have a museum piece....

·
Deceased Oct.-2014
3,014 Posts
For an acre of lawn I would seriously give thought to a deck larger than a 42" model. When you think about overlap you'll be luck to cover 3'. Takes longer and put more hrs on the tractor.

You think a 2000 series is too much for an acre, that's about what I keep cut and I have a 3000 series tractor. Sole job for it is to cut the grass. I do tend to keep my GT a long time, previous one had for 15 yrs and still have the prior one that's a 70 model I had since new and is used for working up the garden and any other ground work. You'll appreciate it yrs down the road when the better model is still running well and has needed fewer repairs because of the extra margin strength.

·
Registered
963 Posts
BigDenCCMD said:
First post here.... What do you think?
I think my dog is a Sheltie, but it might be Thursday.

What do you think LB?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts