My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still unable to start this Gravely L.
today i cleaned out the sediment bowl added new gas. Now the bowl is not refilling with gas. Is that normal? i'm thinking air pocket. I tried turning the value connected to the gas bowl but nothing.(1)

I hear the pulley clicks but no spark. not sure if this if the correct way for the spark plug terminal. see pic

also not sure what position for this (2) and (3)

thanks (you should have told me to walk away at the beginning) :)

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
1 is the fuel valve into the strainer. If that's open, and the bowl isn't filling with fuel (and there's fuel in the tank) you have a clog somewhere. Could be the valve itself, or in the line or the tank. Just disconnect one piece at a time until you isolate the clog.

2 is the main jet mixture adjustment. See the manuals for how to set. IIRC it's nominally 2-1/2 turns from closed, but you should adjust once you get it running.

3 is the choke.

I'm not sure what you mean by the pulley clicking. You mean the impulse coupling in the mag? You should hear a sharp snap or click from the mag right at TDC. If it clicks, that's good, that means your impulse coupling is working. But there are other things which could be wrong.

Mostly likely: dirty points. Turn the mag to where you can see the timing mark. Remove the mag, not turning the engine. Unscrew the cover. See points and condensor inside. A light file or sand on the surfaces of the points may get you going. While you're at it, check the points gap. IIRC it's .012", but check the manual. Then button it back up and remount using the timing mark.

You can bench check it by clamping it in vice or something, connecting the plug, taping the plug body to the mag body, and turning it by hand. It will fight you as the impulse winds up, then it will snap and you should get a spark.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was unsure about removing it and then having the timing off.
Can someone point out the points and gap?
IMG_20200626_165708240_HDR~2.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Also, timing is determined by the thing on the camshaft coming out of the engine. As long as you don't get it out 180° when reinstalling the mag, you'll be fine. Mark it with a paint pen or something.

Side note, don't make a habit of snapping the mag without the coil grounded out, ie pushing the little kill button on the side. A coil sparking with no return path to ground is bad for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts