My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lawn tractor with a 13.5 hp briggs engine...in order to mount a snow thrower, ive had to remove the muffler...will running the engine without the muffler damage the engine?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yup. The engine needs the back pressure from the muffler. You'll start to burn the exhaust valves, not to mention performance will suffer.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Not to mention that when you shut the engine down after using it and its hot the cold air will rush right up to the exhaust valve and will eventually warp it.
GB in MN

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Running without the muffler may have some effect on exactly how the engine runs. It will hurt your hearing a lot more than it will hurt the valves. That's an old wive's tale from years ago.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
We had a Briggs pump motor that ran twice a day whenever we had cattle in that pasture. Sometime warm weather, sometimes snow on the ground.

Muffler had rotted off years before the rest of the engine died. Cause of death was a badly worn bore. Never bothered the valves any.

Mike

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
i have a lawn tractor with a 13.5 hp briggs engine...in order to mount a snow thrower, ive had to remove the muffler...will running the engine without the muffler damage the engine?
If you lived next to me and running without a muffler, there would be damage to you. :sidelaugh

You would get 1 free can of whoop-***.

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Is it a thread in muffler? if so, can you get a 1" nipple, a 90 deg elbow, and some addtional pipe to re locate the muffler?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Our racing karts ran with pipes and something on the end called a silencer but not a full muffler. Tests showed removing back pressure of muffler gave largest gain of HP compared to other mods.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Our racing karts ran with pipes and something on the end called a silencer but not a full muffler. Tests showed removing back pressure of muffler gave largest gain of HP compared to other mods.
This is what 38racing is talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for the feedback...for the time being i rigged up a temporary baffle out of a pipe with a ninety degree bend, some wire, and a beer can...this way i can test the snow thrower to see if it works well - if it does, then i can do something permanent...like put it on another tractor...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there's a flange with a couple of bolts where the pipe attaches...not sure if it's threaded or not but i'd certainly take a look at getting the old pipe off if i was going to do something permanent...for now i've just put another pipe that's a close fit over the existing pipe and wired it in place...won't hold for long im sure but it will let me determine if the snow thrower will work well...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when we were kids riding dirt bikes, some guys were cutting their exhausts off to gain a extra power...there was a running argument over whether or not it would burn or warp the valves...i never cut mine cuz i didnt really care about going any faster...

my Dad's hay baler had a Wisconsin air cooled engine - the muffler had rusted off and he replaced it with a six inch piece of straight pipe - loud but it ran for years that way...

just to be on the safe side, even tho this tractor was a freebie and i have nothing invested but time, i won't run it without something on it if not a muffler then some type of baffle...if the snow thrower works well on this tractor i can mount the old muffler somewhere else and run a pipe to it...or i might be able to make one - i'm thinking that one of those little blue propane tanks might be the right size and material...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts