My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating some mod's to another brand of GT and am intreged by the double spool hydraulic control setup on these model JD's, perhaps even other models too, but it's on these models that I've noticed the setup.
The setup I'm interested in is those dual hydro levers mounted on the left side of the dash that I assume controls the hydraulic lift and the other the front hydro outlets. Of this I'm not sure as I'm just guessing. I think that is one of the cleanest hydro control setups on a GT.
What I'm interested in is info on it(them), perhaps some pics of the assembly thats underneath the cowling, hookups etc., so I can get an idea of the space necessary for it and if it would even work in my instance.
Also if the assembly is still available new.
My ultimate desire is a hydraulic control for a sicklebar mower and to meet this end I need a dual spool control as I need to control two separate cylinders.
Good news is I have the hydro power to do it, bad news is that space is at a premium and theres no OEM offering for a dual control, just a single controller and stacking two OEM single control valves would not bring me the setup I desire.
Thanks
Dave

·
Super Moderator
16,489 Posts
Volfandt I sent you a PM with some Help:thThumbsU

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts

A picture is worth a thousand words! :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Brett,

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought Volfandt was asking about the dual paddles that are used to control hydraulic implements. Like the ones that you painted.

He mentioned that they are on the left side, and I know the X700 series puts them on the right side of the dash. So maybe I'm not following correctly.

·
6,553 Posts
Oh I thought he wanted to see the spool it's self. The X700 has two simple levers on the dash that have a 90 degree bend they go straight down through the frame and have another 90 bend then they use short rods between the spool and the levers. Real simple.

I'd much rather have the Simplicity Legacy XL's "Joystick" setup!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sergeant, got your email, thanks.

UrbanTractor, you're on target, it is those paddle levers and associated spool valves I was interested in originally but I'm interested in any/all setups to see if one will work for me. Thanks

Brett-JDX748, thanks for the pic. That valve isn't that big and could possibly work. One of the reasons I like those older JD GT paddle type levers is that I plan on mounting the levers on my GT in a similar manner.

Thanks for the responses.
Dave

·
6,553 Posts
Dave,

Do you mean the levers that were mounted on the left hand side of the hood on older JD's?

Here is how the new X7's and the older X5's are configured.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brett-JDX748, thats a very nice setup but it's very proprietary to JD's so it won't work for me. Nice tractor btw.

I've done some more searching and found basically what I'm looking for. The pic shows a 3 spool valve off of a JD 420 which is one more than I need but it's priced right as well as some others I found. Due to space contraints I may look into use cables between the paddle levers and valve.
Again thanks

Attachments

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Volfandt,

Just out of curiosity, what would that third paddle control be used for?

As you can tell, I don't know much about how these hydraulic implement controls work, so I'm always curious to learn more. Thanks.

·
6,553 Posts
Volf,

Ahhhh I had a feeling that was the setup you was talking about. Sorry I wasn't sure and didn't know if my photos would help.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UrbanTractor, I'm not really sure what the 420 used that 3rd valve for. Perhaps one was for the deck lift, the other for the front hydro outlets and perhaps it either had some rear outlets -or- it had a separate hydraulic rear 3ph. Those 400 series were Cadillacs of their day.
All I need is a dual spool valve, don't know what I'd do with the 3rd as my 876 is a dedicated sicklebar mower, thats all the old gal needs to do to earn its keep :D

Brett-JDX748, your pics were very helpful. They let me know that one can use either various linkages and/or cables to tie the levers to the spool valve(s). Besides, I enjoy tractor pics anyhow, no matter the brand :D
Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dave,

You can get two valves with the same set of levers if you look for stuff from a 332, 322 or 318. Same basic setup with two spools instead of three...

FWIW - Frank

·
6,553 Posts
Having a dedicated spool for the deck would be very welcomed! Having a Joystick, even better :)

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
The 3 levers off the 420 are for
the one on the right or inner most goes to right side front outlet
the one in the middle is for the rear hydraulics
the one on the left goes to the left front hydraulics
the one on the right also has a detent to hold it in a "float" position

1 - 14 of 14 Posts